GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 1911 Slide Fit ???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yankee45
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  10:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if a Series 70 1911 slide fit on a Pre-Series 70 frame ?

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13391 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  06:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes They in most cases will. With that said As with all mass produced items Colt built 1911 type pistols there may be a frame withy rails on the large side and a slide on the small side and it may "DRAG" slightly . slides and frames are switched all the time however if you put a series 80 slide on a series 70 or earlier frame it has no way of working the fireing pin block."PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6402 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  10:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the 80s series firing pin block is trigger activated, could switching to a series 70 slide result in a better trigger pull?

dsf
Go to Top of Page

Pearyw
Advanced Member

3698 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  10:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put 80 series slides on 70 series style frames. I usually remove the spring loaded plunger and spring, and change the firing pin stop to a 70 style. You can change the firing pin and extractor to a 70 series if you want or retain the 80 series firing pin and extractor. They will work with either. If you want to use a 80 slide and frame with 70 series hammer, do the above and install a spacer that can be purchased to fill in the space on the hammer pin.
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13391 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  10:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Dfletcher Th eo problem in that is part of the frame side added parts push up on the slide mounted parts in a Series 80 if you install a series 70 slide on a series 80 frame with all frame parts installed I don't think you will even be able to pull the trigger. People like Brownell's sell a kit to remove these parts but There is a big BREW-HAHA within the rules Commitee because it states that all safeties must be working. NEVER NEVER NEVER put a series 80 hammer in any non series 80 pistol the series 80 has no half cock notch just a shelf for the sear to set on .also think about this on removeing safty Can you spell LAWSUITE. my advice sell series 80 Colt and get another pistol if you want good trigger pull "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6402 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  11:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I've always avoided the series 80 - I don't like anything interfering with a decent trigger pull. A little off subject but still on the 1911s, I just bought a CZ Dan Wesson 1911 Bobtail. Excellent quality, crisp no creep trigger and no - and I really mean none - movement from slide to frame to barrel. The slide moves back evenly and smoothly with no tight spots at all. Might be worth a look for 1911 fans.

dsf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page