GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Drink tabs = one minute of chemo for children
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  12:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my regular customers has been coming by and picking up the little tabs off of soft drink cans. I guess any tab will do...coke...beer...energy drinks. There is a hospital (I believe in Miami) that donates one minute of cancer treatment to children for every tab....60 tabs is an hour!!! Its just too easy to pull them off and save them and this is such a horrible thing to have to go through for children and thier families. I can't pass a can by without pulling off the tab.

If you would like to send your tabs to me....send me an e-mail or PM and I will give you my address to send them in. I will try to find out just where this hospital is and maybe we can start something direct from your location.

Click here to check out my auctions?..I double dog dare you to!!!

kristov
Advanced Member

USA
7471 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  01:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to sound too much like a skeptic but I can remember as far back as the early 1960's when items like cigarette packs, bottle tops and beverage can pull tabs (when they used to come off the can) were supposed to be exchanged at hospitals for all sorts of things; dialysis was the big one since machines were scarce back then. None of these ever panned out and I would like to see a link to a beverage company offering to make good on redeming these tops for services rendered.

Wrongfully do men lament the flight of time...Let your work be such that after death you become an image of immortality.
Leonardo Da Vinci

Doubt everything or believe everything: These are two convenient stratagies. With either we dispense with the need for reflection.
Henri Poincare

Humility is the worst form of conceit.
François de La Rochefoucauld
Go to Top of Page

mrseatle
Advanced Member

USA
16779 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  01:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there's one born every minute...

CHL and FFL holders are Traitors...!

Go to Top of Page

dcinffxva
Advanced Member

USA
2561 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  02:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

“Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.”- Mark Twain

Ride Hard, Live Free, Never Surrender.-J.S. Mosby
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

7295 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  08:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my area, the tabs go to the Ronald McDonald House funding. A few years ago we had a need for the R M house and it was a good thing. Nothing wrong with it.

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  09:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long has this one been around? I can remember hearing this one in college 25 years ago. Check out snopes. This pull tab thing was a fraternity urban legend long before it became an internet urban legend.
Go to Top of Page

tapwater
Advanced Member

8913 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  09:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....20 years ago, there was even the myth that though cans were bringing $.30 per pound, tabs were bringing something like a dollar a pound. I don't know where these things get started. I truly hope there is some truth in one of these stories, but I've never seen the proof.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.******

"Send lawyers, guns and money"

Go to Top of Page

MosinNagantDisciple
Advanced Member

USA
2801 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  11:23:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What boggles my mind is that people fall for this urban legend without even researching it to make sure its valid. Why would you go through the trouble of saving up millions of pop tabs BEFORE making a serious inquiry to the place you think will accept them?

Locust Fork, next time you see this customer, please ask him to call this hospital in Miami and make sure that this program actually exists.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobatomy.
Go to Top of Page

Jacob2008
Advanced Member

12007 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  11:27:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got mail.

Vaya con Dios!

Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  5:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading these responses just makes me feel so bad for some of you guys....its just little tabs...and so easy to just pull them off and give them to someone who tells me its for a children's charity.

I believe him because he is a VERY nice man. He has plenty of money and I "think" this is part of some group he is a member of. I didn't ask the details because it doesn't matter. If someone tells me that giving the little tabs off of cans to him will somehow lead to a child being given cancer treatment....I will give him the tabs.

Not only will I give him the tabs I have...but I will offer to collect them from anyone who cares to send them to me for him to donate. I will try and find out what hospital it is...not because I want to "verify the charity" but only because it may be easier to donate them directly to the hospital for those willing to do so.

Lets just believe that there is a good thing happening here....and feel good about participating in it. Lets try to be less synical and weary of things.

Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  5:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a one minute search turned up this charity...I am not shure if this is the one my customer donates to..but this is one place you can send them to yourself if you like.

http://tabfest.com/charity.html

The dates have expired...but just knowing there are LEGITAMATE CHARITIES to save these for is something to keep in mind. Rather than just throwing them out.

Edited by - Locust Fork on 11/05/2006 5:48:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15445 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  6:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to snopes its not true...

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
Go to Top of Page

dcinffxva
Advanced Member

USA
2561 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  6:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the Ronald McDonald house site:

http://www.rmhc.com/content/rmhc/index/programs/ronald_mcdonald_house/pop_tab_collection.html

Snopes isn't always correct. My apologies LF.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

“Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.”- Mark Twain

Ride Hard, Live Free, Never Surrender.-J.S. Mosby
Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  6:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no charity, no hospital that will give any money or give any time on any machine to anybody in exchange for pull tabs. That part of the story is false.

Recycling centers will provide money for scrap aluminum. If you send scrap aluminum to some recycling centers in the name of a charity, the recycling center will send the money to the charity.

How much do you think one pull tab worth of scap aluminum is worth? A heck of a lot less than a minute of dialysis time. As a matter of fact, you'd probably have to turn in thousands of pull tabs to get a couple dollars worth of scrap aluminum.
Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  6:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do a quick search...you will see there ARE charities that do donate for these tabs.

Go to Top of Page

kristov
Advanced Member

USA
7471 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  6:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of them I find only doante the scrap value of the tabs, which are next to nothing unless you have a dump truck load. No one questions that the aluminum in the pull tab has value as a scrap metal, but where is that hospital you told us about that gives away one minute of medical treatment in exchange for each pull tab?

Wrongfully do men lament the flight of time...Let your work be such that after death you become an image of immortality.
Leonardo Da Vinci

Doubt everything or believe everything: These are two convenient stratagies. With either we dispense with the need for reflection.
Henri Poincare

Edited by - kristov on 11/05/2006 6:41:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  6:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did the search, that's how I know what the deal is. The recycling centers will accept the tabs as scrap aluminum and pay the charity the going rate for scrap aluminum.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with saving aluminum and donating to charity, just that the real deal is not the same as the urban legend. I think It's a great thing to recycle and even better to help children and handicapped in anyway possible.
Go to Top of Page

kristov
Advanced Member

USA
7471 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  6:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that case I would suggest donating the entire can, which is of sufficent size (weight) to actually have value.

Leonardo Da Vinci

Henri Poincare

Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  6:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the cost of mailing the tabs might be in excess of their value as scrap.
Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  6:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I save the cans in the store and give them to a couple of older nearly homeless guys that come buy to collect them. Whenever I see the man who gets the tabs again I will ask him the name of the hospital. I asked before...because I wanted to make a sign to go on the coke machine. I am so over-worked and un-organized that I lost the paper I wrote the name on before I could get to make my sign. I was too aggrivated with myself when I saw him again to admit I had lost it....so I just let it go.

I will find out...but save your tabs!!!

Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  9:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just tyring to keep this at the top for a bit until everyone gets a chance to read it.

Go to Top of Page

KSUmarksman
Advanced Member

USA
11363 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  9:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it would make sense only if the tabs from a particular company (such as coke or pepsi) were differentiable from another company's tabs. Because then the COMPANY could run a promotion where they donate a certain amount of money for every tab, kind of like the "box tops for education" drive. However since tabs are identical the company would not know if it was actually tabs from their product being turned in.

Hence this is a fake charitable drive.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson (my facebook quote :) )
Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  11:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Box tops for education....do you really think the little half inch square torn off of a label is WORTH ten cents. Because that is what happens when you save those little things and donate them to a school. The item in question has NO value...its just a gesture and not anything to really try to harp on.

I get how some people may not want to save them...that is fine. Whatever type of charity some feel is worth participating in shouldn't be beat down by those who aren't going to give to it.

I didn't run a marathon for any cause...haven't given a large check to any cause...I haven't set up camp in front of a tree...and I also didn't drag a wooden cross through town to be nailed to it at the end of my journey.

Its just tabs...and a guy who I KNOW pretty well says each one will be a minute of chemotherapy for children. That is enough for me. I don't need to have a child with cancer to participate with this. So just save your tabs!!!! Its too easy...and even if it were (which its not) that you had to save 100 of them for a minute of treatment....WHY NOT????

Go to Top of Page

kristov
Advanced Member

USA
7471 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  08:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The box top has value because the company producing the product (lets say General Mills) has a program in place where they will redeem those tops for goods or services. What we keep asking you (and what you are not telling us) is which hospital is accepting pull tabs in exchange for medical services and which beverage company is paying the actual cost of the treatments? Just tell us and watch the tabs pour in by the tractor trailer load. All we are learned so far is that the tabs only value is for their actual scrap metal value and it takes something like 1 million tabs to equal $100.

Leonardo Da Vinci

Henri Poincare

Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to wait on the person to come into the store again. When he comes by I will ask him (again) he had told me before...but I'm so "organized" I lost the info.

Go to Top of Page

Henry0Reilly
Advanced Member

USA
13699 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  11:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
One of my regular customers has been coming by and picking up the little tabs off of soft drink cans. I guess any tab will do...coke...beer...energy drinks. There is a hospital (I believe in Miami) that donates one minute of cancer treatment to children for every tab....60 tabs is an hour!!! Its just too easy to pull them off and save them and this is such a horrible thing to have to go through for children and thier families. I can't pass a can by without pulling off the tab.

I'm all for folks chipping in and helping their fellow human beings. I participate very actively in the American Legion and the 40&8 for just that reason. However, I truly do not grasp how cancer treatment can be measured in terms of minutes....

Urban legends die hard.

Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Check out what I've got on the block here at GunBroker!

Be Active Today!

Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  1:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Promotions such as box tops are specific to brands, have limited supply and limited duration and are designed to promote purchase of the products.

There is no comparison between a box top promotion and a program that will accept unlimited pull tabs from any source in exchange for treatment. Such programs do not exist.

I wish the story was true. I'm sure a lot of people and their insurance companies wish it was true. Cancer treatment costs a lot of money. If you could get your cancer treatment paid for in pull tabs at one tab per minute of treatment, nobody would have to pay for cancer treatment.

Save your aluminum tabs and cans, send them to a recycler and then send the money to the cancer charity of your choice.
Go to Top of Page

SP45

1496 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  6:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pull tabs are collected as they are uncontaminated aluminum. The cans themselves have to have the paint removed. The Lions Club collects them and they do use the money to buy needed items for the childrens hospital in Boston. They actually collect many tons per year, so yes some people are actually doing what they say they are rather than sitting around being skeptical about everything.
Go to Top of Page

kristov
Advanced Member

USA
7471 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  7:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, no one is saying that the cans (or pull tops) have no value as scrap metal. The question remains (and has yet to be answered) as to if they are redemable for medical services. Using the Ronald McDonald House link as an example. RMH stated that they have collected 400 million pull tabs which they sold as scrap for $4 million dollars. That is a tidy little sum to be sure. Still using RMH numbers: 400 million pull tabs worth $4 million means that 1 million pull tabs are worth (on average) $100. This being the case then 100,000 pull tabs are worth $10 and 10,000 pull tabs are worth $1. Based on what we are supposed to believe then those same 10,000 pull tabs can some how provide 10,000 minutes, or approx. 166 hours, of no doubt very expensive medical treatments. I don't know what cancer treatments cost but if such treatment is $300 per hour then we are looking at nearly $50,000 worth of medical treatment in exchange for $1 worth of pull tabs. Someone explain this to me because there is no way in hell that you are going to walk out of a hospital with $50K in medical bills by simply handing them $1 worth (which would probably be a five-gallon bucket full) of pull tabs!

Leonardo Da Vinci

Henri Poincare

Go to Top of Page

JustC

14868 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  7:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a BUCKET full of tabs,....if you can fwd me a credible source that states they will accept the tabs in turn for chemo for children,..I will gladly send them to the charity.

I saved these just for that reason,..as a friends father had a neighbor whom he stated was getting dialysis for the same deal. if this is for real,...I have quite a bit of chemo to offer the children.

thanks

applying physics over great expanses,...gotta love the long shots

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  9:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is for Sacred Heart in Pensacola....I haven't checked on it....but the fact that someone I know told me it is for this cause is enough for me. You can check it out if you like....but anyone who wants to save these things and send them to me to add to what I give can e-mail me for the store address.

Even if you don't send them in for this charity...everyone should save them for when something comes along. There are a lot of McDonald's house type things and others to save and donate them to.

Go to Top of Page

Jacob2008
Advanced Member

12007 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  9:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Locust Fork

It is for Sacred Heart in Pensacola....I haven't checked on it....but the fact that someone I know told me it is for this cause is enough for me. You can check it out if you like....but anyone who wants to save these things and send them to me to add to what I give can e-mail me for the store address.

Even if you don't send them in for this charity...everyone should save them for when something comes along. There are a lot of McDonald's house type things and others to save and donate them to.

Indeed. I dont mind taking the extra 5 seconds to snap it off and put it in a bag to help save someones life.

Vaya con Dios!

Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did what I said I would not do and looked a littel into the charity I "think" it is going toward.

The one minute search turned up this place that is some kind of flyer for how to run a branch of support for this children's hospital. It has all kinds of information on where to go for the support some may need. It does mention the tabs being collected but does not go into detail. If you know anyone with a child who has cancer this is a very helpful site.

http://www.optimist.org/Publications/CCC_Operations_manual06.pdf

Go to Top of Page

kristov
Advanced Member

USA
7471 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the link to the cancer center in the name hospital. http://www.sacred-heart.org/cancercenter.asp I just sent their billing department an e-mail to find out if there is a program in place which will redeem one pull top for one minute of cancer treatment (whatever that one minute may entail).

Leonardo Da Vinci

Henri Poincare

Go to Top of Page

kristov
Advanced Member

USA
7471 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I did what I said I would not do and looked a littel into the charity I "think" it is going toward.

The one minute search turned up this place that is some kind of flyer for how to run a branch of support for this children's hospital. It has all kinds of information on where to go for the support some may need. It does mention the tabs being collected but does not go into detail. If you know anyone with a child who has cancer this is a very helpful site.

http://www.optimist.org/Publications/CCC_Operations_manual06.pdf

It mentions collecting cans and tabs (along with other items) but does not state anywhere that these items are redeemable at a rate above their scrap/intrinsic value. I am betting that once I hear back from the billing department of the hospital we can put an urban legend to rest here once and for all!

Leonardo Da Vinci

Henri Poincare

Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  11:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get how so much effort and synical behaviour can be coming out of collecting slluminum tabs for kids.

NO!!! I will not be contacting the frickin "billing department of the CHILDRENS HOSPITAL"...to verify anything. I will be collecting and donating the little tabs because it is an easy thing to do and is going to a good cause.

This is no myth for anyone to bust....its CANCER KILLING KIDS....for goodness sake and the people who deal with these things shouldn't have to jump through any hoops for any crappy stink bomb of a person who wants to validify things before they pull a stinking tab off a can. Just either try to help these kids or shut up and go away. Cancer is enough anyone had to say to me...I put a coffee can next to my coke machine and I offer to give any tabs that come in to this charity. I don't need a sick child worried about dying to come to my gun store and ask me to do it.....

I cannot believe what jerks some people are!

Go to Top of Page

wipala
Advanced Member

7084 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  11:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Reading these responses just makes me feel so bad for some of you guys....its just little tabs...and so easy to just pull them off and give them to someone who tells me its for a children's charity.

I believe him because he is a VERY nice man. He has plenty of money and I "think" this is part of some group he is a member of. I didn't ask the details because it doesn't matter. If someone tells me that giving the little tabs off of cans to him will somehow lead to a child being given cancer treatment....I will give him the tabs.

Not only will I give him the tabs I have...but I will offer to collect them from anyone who cares to send them to me for him to donate. I will try and find out what hospital it is...not because I want to "verify the charity" but only because it may be easier to donate them directly to the hospital for those willing to do so.

Lets just believe that there is a good thing happening here....and feel good about participating in it. Lets try to be less synical and weary of things.

And still they believe. There is no program the tabs are worthless for all intents and purposes. A million pull tabs have a recycle value of just under $300 U.S. And that's before you factor in what it costs to collect, store, and transport them to a recycling center which will pay cash for them. When you consider the time and effort it takes to collect a million of anything, it's a wonder anyone would go to all that trouble for a mere $300. Far better to ask everyone you know for a penny in place of each pull tab they would have given you — at least then when you were done done collecting your million, you'd have $10,000 to donate to your charity.

Well bless my little pointed head I'm howling at the moon
I'm nutty as a fruit cake when the Dr plays my tune.
Dementions and Dementites from St Lou to Sacramento
Know the wierdo with the Beardo that the kids all call Demento

Oh Oh He's the guy ,the reason why your funnybone was invented
Oh if your inclined to lose your mind, Well lets all get Demented
D.E.M.E.N.T.O. Dr. Demento

Go to Top of Page

kristov
Advanced Member

USA
7471 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  11:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NO!!! I will not be contacting the frickin "billing department of the CHILDRENS HOSPITAL"...

You don't have to do that because I am doing it and this should allow you more time to round up additional pull tabs. I do appreciate you giving us the name of the hospital and as soon as we are told that the "Tabs for Treatment Program" is up and running we can send down the first of several million tabs.

Leonardo Da Vinci

Henri Poincare

Edited by - kristov on 11/06/2006 11:24:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24731 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  09:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see where some people would want to go and check on the facts of the charity....because there are so many scumbags out there wasting time and money in the name of what would be a "good cause." There are GOOD PEOPLE out there...and they shouldn't be treated like they are sleezy when they are really doing something good. The man who comes into the store gives these to his ex-wife (I think) who he has been told they will equal a minute of chemo therapy for children.

That is all I need to hear. Someone tells me a little drink tab is going to do anything good at all and I will save them for them. I know they aren't worth any REAL value....who on earth would think that little tab would be worth anything? I'm not going to put out a donation plate...only because I can't let EVERYONE who comes along leave one. There are cans in the store...so I pull the tabs off...its simple. I am not asking anyone to write a check or anything. Just pointing out a good thing and hope there are some people who will contribute.

Even if it isn't for this charity...in looking into this I have seen several others. So, why not just save your tabs for when something comes along. You may have someone come into your place and say to you "my Girl Scout troup is saving tabs to raise money for camp" or another person may have a different cause. You will have a little stash of these things when the time comes. Throwing them away is just silly if ANYTHING good can come of it.

Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  10:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Locust,

I really think that the folks on the fourm are trying to help you so you don't waste your time. Thinking that the pull tabs have value other than for scrap is, to put it in Alabama speak..."wrong headed."

For every pull tab there is a can. Saving the cans and turning them in will raise more money faster than saving tabs because there is more aluminum.

If you save cans you could raise a few dollars for charity every month. If you save pull tabs you might raise a few dollars every couple of years.

Remember that these kids are dying of cancer. They might not have have the years to wait until you save a million tabs and raise enough money to buy them a Pepsi from the machine on the cancer ward.
Go to Top of Page

abcguns2
Advanced Member

USA
2690 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  10:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez , here we go , Again ...
O.K. back years ago while still in Illinois working @ the Sheriffs Dept. we had a nurse taking care of a family member , she was collecting these (tabs)things for treatment @ st.judes in Memphis ???
after she couldnt give a straight answer as per any details , I contacted the P.D. in Memphis and St.Judes Hospital , both had the same answer ... Its a scam of some sort ??? They said that they hear this all the time ??? Go Figure .......
Thnaks !!!
d.a.stearns
Gunmsith / LEO
Niota , Tn

My dog is the best person I know...
If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

Guns & Shooting!!!
Go to Top of Page

gagirl
Advanced Member

USA
4585 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  10:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People .. there are numerous groups that accept these tabs. They do turn them in for the Alum value. The main reason they collect tabs is because it is easier and cleaner to do them than the entire can. This makes it easier to talk people into saving them. Now I agree that the time and money spent by the people collecting them is generally more than what they are worth, BUT the end result is that the group is getting the $. It is easier to ask someone to do something physical than it is to ask them to write a check. Maybe it is a long term thing.... you know to make people realize how good their lives really are. Let them think about the difficult times the people they are helping are going through. I think it is a wonderful thing for schools and kids in general to get involved in.

The one tab for one minute.. no. But the saving of tabs for the Alum value is a great thing. Sure what Locust contributes may not be a large sum of money but those little amounts do add up.

By the way, I KNOW a group that does this. I have taken them to the recycle plant for them. (Manna House)

Dont be so quick to say Locust is a fool. She is doing the right thing by atleast being willing to help. The information she was given, I dont think, is 100% correct, but the basis is there.

I for one appreciate her doing vol. work!

Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  10:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nobody is trying to say that it is not a good thing to raise money for children with cancer.

However, if Locust wants people to send her tabs to donate, she should should understand what she is asking them to do. She is asking them to spend more on shipment of pull tabs than the pull tabs will generate in funds donated to charity.

It would make more sense to send a two dollar donation than to save ten thousand pull tabs over years and then pay to mail them to someone who will turn them into two dollars from a recycler. In fact, if those who saved the tabs have to send them to Locust and then she has to send them to the recycling center the two of you might very well be spending two or three times the value of the tabs just to send them to a recyler. That money could be better used by donating to a charity today.
Go to Top of Page

gagirl
Advanced Member

USA
4585 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hugh... if you read my entire post... I said just that. Still it is easier for the groups to ask for the tabs then it is to ask for money. If people would simply write a check there would be no need for these collections to happen.

as I said in my original post

"Now I agree that the time and money spent by the people collecting them is generally more than what they are worth, BUT the end result is that the group is getting the $. It is easier to ask someone to do something physical than it is to ask them to write a check."

If you dont want to collect tabs for the cause then fine. Locust is not an idiot and I am 100% positive that she realizes that it would be better if everyone would simply write a check. From what I have read she is simply asking for help. If you dont want to help then fine. If you do then great! Just get off her case, not you in particular Hugh, because at least her heart is in the right place. No matter how people donate, be it with money or tabs, they are still HELPING!!!! That is the point here is it not?

Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:11:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gagirl,

I read your post. I agree. I am not calling Locust an idiot, just trying to explain why her logic, particularly when it comes to having people mail her tabs, is flawed.

It will cost more to mail the tabs once, let alone twice, than she will be able to redeem them for. It is a self defeating proposition that WILL NOT raise money for charity but instead will WASTE more money, not to mention time and effort, than it will generate.

This would be taking money donated by good people for a good pupose and wasting it because she's too stubborn to just try to understand what we are trying to tell her. Wasting money is never a good thing, especially when the money could be used for charity.
Go to Top of Page

gagirl
Advanced Member

USA
4585 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughbetcha

Gagirl,

I read your post. I agree. I am not calling Locust an idiot, just trying to explain why her logic, particularly when it comes to having people mail her tabs, is flawed.

It will cost more to mail the tabs once, let alone twice, than she will be able to redeem them for. It is a self defeating proposition that WILL NOT raise money for charity but instead will WASTE more money, not to mention time and effort, than it will generate.

This would be taking money donated by good people for a good pupose and wasting it because she's too stubborn to just try to understand what we are trying to tell her. Wasting money is never a good thing, especially when the money could be used for charity.

You dont get the point at all. It WILL IN FACT raise $ for the charity. They dont have to do anything outside of cash in the tabs. They dont have the cost of buying, mailing or anything. The fact that the people saving them are spending money to do it does not matter when it comes down to the fact that the Charity is getting $ in the long run. There is a shorter route that would benifit the charity more(sending $ directly to them) but in the long run the charity makes money off these things.

Sit back and think about it for a minute. It will in fact raise money for the charity, maybe not as much as it would if people would simply send money, but still it is money. Also read the last paragraph of the original post.

It also wont cost Locust a dime. She said the guy pickes them up from her. So all she has to do is be a holding place for the tabs. If you dont want to send her the tabs. Then just save them and cash them in yourself. Then send her or the charity of you choice the check. The real waste is throwing them in the trash and not doing anything with them.

Edited by - gagirl on 11/07/2006 11:27:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

gagirl
Advanced Member

USA
4585 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JustC

I have a BUCKET full of tabs,....if you can fwd me a credible source that states they will accept the tabs in turn for chemo for children,..I will gladly send them to the charity.

I saved these just for that reason,..as a friends father had a neighbor whom he stated was getting dialysis for the same deal. if this is for real,...I have quite a bit of chemo to offer the children.

thanks

Here is the link to one group that you can send them to. You can find your local house online.

https://www.ronaldmcdonaldhousehouston.org/HowToHelp/PullTabProgram.htm

Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gagirl

[quote]Originally posted by hughbetcha

Gagirl,

You dont get the point at all. It WILL IN FACT raise $ for the charity. They dont have to do anything outside of cash in the tabs. They dont have the cost of buying, mailing or anything. The fact that the people saving them are spending money to do it does not matter when it comes down to the fact that the Charity is getting $ in the long run. There is a shorter route that would benifit the charity more(sending $ directly to them) but in the long run the charity makes money off these things.

Sit back and think about it for a minute. It will in fact raise money for the charity, maybe not as much as it would if people would simply send money, but still it is money.

It also wont cost Locust a dime. She said the guy pickes them up from her. So all she has to do is be a holding place for the tabs. If you dont want to send her the tabs. Then just save them and cash them in yourself. Then send her or the charity of you choice the check. The real waste is throwing them in the trash and not doing anything with them.
[/

Do math. If it cost more to mail them to Locust than they are worth, and it does cost more to mail than they are worth, then she will never be able to generate any income for the charity. She will be able to send the money she collects but it will be a total net loss of charity revenue.

If people want to donate to a charity they should be donating to one that generates money, not a charity that costs more to operate than it provides in charity.

Locust can save all the tabs she wants and turn them in, thats a good thing that generates money. People on this forum can save tabs turn them in and send the money to Locust or to the charity, that's a good thing.

People should not save tabs and send them to Locust, cause that costs more money than it raises, that's a bad thing. the only thing i am trying to do is to explain the difference between a good thing and a bad thing.
Go to Top of Page

gagirl
Advanced Member

USA
4585 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hugh... read her ORIGINAL POST. She stated "If you would like to send your tabs to me....send me an e-mail or PM and I will give you my address to send them in. I will try to find out just where this hospital is and maybe we can start something direct from your location."

She was offering to do it either way. So tell me where the bad is?

Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gagirl

Hugh... read her ORIGINAL POST. She stated "If you would like to send your tabs to me....send me an e-mail or PM and I will give you my address to send them in. I will try to find out just where this hospital is and maybe we can start something direct from your location."

She was offering to do it either way. So tell me where the bad is?

It's never a bad thing to want to engage in charitible work no matter how much is raised or lost, the spirit of charity is contagious, it makes others want to help it makes those being helped feel better, it's always good.. It is not always productive and that is the issue here, not right or wrong, not good or bad, but productivity.. high productivty vs low or no productivity..

All we are trying to do is explain a simple point regarding the economics of the chartity she has choosen. I'm sure she'd like her efforts to amount to as much as possible. I dont think Locust understands the economics, I think its even possible she still thinks somebody is going to get a minute of chemotherapy for a pull tab.

I stated very early in this thread that charity was a good thing. Why cant we drop that point and agree on the economics of the issue so that everyone , including the sick children with cancer, can get the most out of our efforts.

Go to Top of Page

MVP
Advanced Member

Equatorial Guinea
21919 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  11:50:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont understand why just the pull tab and not the whole can?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page