GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Ruger M77 Mark II vs. CZ 550 comments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Late-Bloomer

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  3:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking to buy one of these chambered for 308 Win.;
could I get your comments on quality,value, and accuracy!

Late-Bloomer

PEACE and GOOD-WILL to all MANKIND...

vdms55

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  4:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi late b

just got my hands on a ruger m77 mark 11 s.s. in 300 win. mag. won it in a raffel on a $10 ticket. good straight shooter but it has the worst triger on it that i have ever pulled on a rifle. almost has the slop of a double action auto load pistol triger. triger is also too heavy for me. i like a 21/2 lb pull. the only way to lighten it up, i've been told, is to cut the spring down. so i dismantled 'er and sure 'nuff, no spring tension screw or nut. looks like the cut down is the only way. other than the triger i'd have to say the ruger is as well made as any. can't coment on the tz. never had one. yet.

va
Go to Top of Page

TWalker

1808 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  6:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own each of these rifles but in different calibers. Both are quality built and either will make a very good hunting rifle. I prefer the CZ550 slightly, mainly because of the set trigger, and it is a little more accurate. This could vary from rifle to rifle though. Best to try both and pick the one you like best and that feels and shoots best for you. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Go to Top of Page

gunnut505
Advanced Member

6653 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  11:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO, avoid set triggers on anything but target guns or silhouette pieces; the "advantage" of that extra "click" will spook more game than you realize.
I have several MKIIs in my stable, though none in so tame a caliber as .308.
I only had to swap triggers on 2 out of 7 to improve the handling, Rifle Basix or Timney have excellent adjustable triggers for the M77MKII.
I also have 3 CZs, American in .243, 550 synthetic in 8mm Mauser, and a special run "Grand American" with beautiful stock in .30-338 which all had to have the contact surfaces of the sears stoned and aligned for a crisp, no stack 2.8lb pull (except for the 30-338 which had a slick-as-glass 7lb pull which stoned down to a much more realistic hunting pull of 4.6lbs.).
Both rifles are made to last, and of the 2, I would definitely prefer the Rugers over the CZs just owing to the excellent customer service I've gotten from Ruger; never tried Ceska Zbrovnia, but I bet it takes longer.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID

"It never hurts to help!"--EEEK the Cat
Go to Top of Page

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

7956 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OUT OF THE BOX-CZ HANDS DOWN, HUNTING RIFLE FOR LESS $$$ RUGER MK2. YOU CAN BUY A SPRING KIT FOR <$20 THAN WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD HUNTING TRIGGER (TRAPPER GUN INC.)

Go to Top of Page

tsavo303
Advanced Member

7987 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had both, would probally go with the CZ
Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6518 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:51:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have mostly Ruger rifles with CZ a close second. I don't think you'd be dissappointed by either one really if your talking standard Ruger 77 vs the standard CZ 550.

So far as using the set trigger in a hunting situation - unless we're talking woodchucks at 250 yds - I'd so no to that also. But the CZ trigger is fully adjustable without going to set.

If you're talking about only target shooting, I think I'd go with the CZ 550 HS Precision stocked target model. I have one & it is extremely accurate.

dsf
Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  12:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto what Mike Wiskey said -- CZ all the way.
Go to Top of Page

Late-Bloomer

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  12:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate all the replies, as a beginner to all of this many of you on this forum have helped me time after time. All the advice and comments have always been beneficial.

Today, I went with my first choice, CZ all the way!

Late-Bloomer

PEACE and GOOD-WILL to all MANKIND...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page