GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 JGA Karabiner 6mm Flob.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

musketman1908
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  6:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a single shot bolt action rifle that my father brought back from Germany at the end of WWII. The rifle is a rimfire, rifled barrel marked with a circle on top of barrel with JGA and Original Karabiner. It is a half stock, has a rear elevated sight that appears adjustable from 25 to 200 (I assume meters), has small eagles on barrel and marked 6mm flob.. I am looking for someone who can tell me the type of ammo this gun uses. I saw there is 6mm flobert ammo by RWS and a few others that are a small round and not very powerful. RWS list their ammo as usually being fired from a smooth bore however and my rifle is a rifled barrel. The gun does chamber a .22 round which I have not shot it yet wanting to know the poper ammo to use. Someone on one website said it may be a .22 short in reality. Does anyone know?

bobski
Advanced Member

Vatican City
19621 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  8:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the boards!
hmmm, 6mm is 24 cal.
maybe you can find a local gunsmith to mike' your chamber, to be safe?

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15686 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  9:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JGA was the pre W W II, trade mark/trade name used by Anschutz on their various sporting firearms. From your description, particularly of the markings on the rear sight. The rifle is chambered for the .22 Long Rifle cartridge. It was probably made as a single shot trainer with that type of sight. Although the trainers had full length stocks similarly to the bolt action Mauser military rifles.

A rifle chambered for the 6mm Flobert cartridge wouldn't have had a 200 meter rear sight.

If the "small eagles" are proof marks? The rifle might be of late manufacturer, as they came into use in early 1940.

Go to Top of Page

peabo
Advanced Member

3088 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  07:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have one and it is clearly marked '22 long rifle'. Alas, mine is missing the extractor, and therefore is not safe to fire. Yours, I am sure looks like this ? If you compare the last photo to your rifle, you will notice the extractor is missing.

Thanks---Peabo

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
NRA Life Member

Edited by - peabo on 02/16/2007 08:36:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

bobski
Advanced Member

Vatican City
19621 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  09:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
curious, why would they mark it 6mm if its a 5mm 22?
Go to Top of Page

musketman1908
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  11:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies. I know I will have to get the gun to a gunsmith to check on caliber. Many great comments. I have researched this gun for hours on net and it seems hard to find anyone who has a real definitive answer. Does seem strange that they would put long range sights on a gun that would shoot the low power 6mm flob., yet if it is some form of .22 why would they put 6mm flob. on it. Anymore info by anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  1:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
J.G.A.-----Abbreviation for J. G. Anschutz Germaniawaffenfabrik on rifles and revolvers....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

2887 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  1:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobski

curious, why would they mark it 6mm if its a 5mm 22?

Thats a European kinda' thing Bobski. Like our .38 spec really measures .357. You'll find guns exported to the U.S would be marked .22. Actually 5mm is closer to .20 cal like the Remington 5mm rimfire.

I would still have the chamber checked to be sure!!!

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

https://membership.nrahq.org/

Edited by - Hangfire on 02/16/2007 1:41:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

bobski
Advanced Member

Vatican City
19621 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  9:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
of course the best example would be the NATO .556 which is 223. so, you can see why i think 6mm is 24cal since a 6mm is like an american .243.
MAYBE OLE ICONOCLAST CAN WEIGH IN. HE IS THE BULLET EXPERT.
Go to Top of Page

Iconoclast
Advanced Member

USA
13106 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  08:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Often, but not always, packages of 6mm Flobert ammo will also be marked ".22" or some variation thereof. The 5mm is dramatically smaller and would fall freely down a .22 caliber tube.

The 6mm European RF rounds come in a wide range of lengths. While the 6mm Flobert projectile loadings are the equivalent of our domestic .22 BB and .22 CB cartridges in size and shape, the "single charge" shot load is slightly longer than a .22 LR casing and the "double charge shot" is perhaps 1/4" longer than the loaded .22 LR. There is also a two piece (copper and brass) case 6mm Bosquette which is quite long - longer even than the .22 XL (IIRC . . . it is that league, anyway). Less commonly seen, but by no means unknown, are the short version of the 6mm Bosquette and the 6mm Coulot (single and double charges).

In 6mm, all but the BB / CB are fairly uncommon. As you note, having sight elevations for those two pipsqueak rounds defies logic. I suppose all things are possible, though. Another alternative, and this is entirely WAG speculation, would be that the maker marked it for the Flobert because of some European metric convention, even though the chamber, rifling and sights are consistent with the American .22 . . .

This can't be WW III; the french haven't surrendered yet!

So . . . you're a liberal? Did you have a head injury or were you just born brain dead?

God, guts and guns made America great . . . clearly liberals had no hand in the process.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page