GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Savage Springfield .22 Model 234 MINT?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pgtr
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  11:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently found my old Model 234 .22 bolt action. Save one very tiny nick on the stock it is still in the mint condition it was in when I stored it years ago. Had it new since the mid 1970s.

But darned if I can find info about this gun online, like it's history, how good it was considered to be, how it compares to others etc...

It is a bolt action .22 with a bottom feeding clip. It came w/ a 5 shot banana clip and I bought an additional 10 shot clip for it. It has a 20" barrel. It came new w/ a cheap Tasco scope that has "SAVAGE SPRINGFIELD" stamped on the scope. The stock is VERY plain - minimal grain and not much else - clean stock but very plain.

My one complaint that I recall was the rather smallish breach making it near impossible to load a single round at a time by hand - I guess it was intended to only be loaded by cycling the bolt w/ a loaded clip instaled. Bolt handle is blued as is the rest of the gun.

Anyway I was trying to search for further info like decoding the date from the S/N#, values, history, how popular or successful it was originally...

Any info...?

thanks

Fatstrat
Advanced Member

8317 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  08:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't find a model 234 in my references. But I do find a Model 34 that fits the description.
Mfg: 1965-80 Value: EX:$88 (as per 2005 Gun Traders guide)
I don't put much stock in "book values". But it's a ballpark figure.

I walk away from auto-flush toilets like movie stars walk away from explosions.....
Go to Top of Page

pgtr
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  3:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

Would a serial # help?

I did find a reference to the Savage Springfield 234 being the same as the Sears 234 - does that help any?

I tried googling and found even less on the Model 34. I looked at all the closed auctiosn over the past 90 days for ANY Savage .22 and didn't see anything like it. Some were kinda-sorta similar like the Modle 23 and 'sporter'(?) - maybe the one I have is somehow related to the Model 23?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Fatstrat
Advanced Member

8317 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  01:31:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might try looking up the Sears 234 on the Numrich Arms store brand to MFG model cross reference table.

I walk away from auto-flush toilets like movie stars walk away from explosions.....
Go to Top of Page

pgtr
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  01:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heh heh - yeah I saw those dates and...

Yes it appears to also have existed under the Sears Model 234 name but that doesn't seem to provide any more info. Numrich doesn't seem to know much about it and suggested a Stevens 84C 'may' have some parts that interchange...

Darned if this particular thread is NOW the best hit I can find on google for info on this gun! That's pretty funny.

I guess this must just be a darn rear short run variation of their .22s from the mid 1970s. The only other thing I can recall is that it was 'probably' purchased at a discount or sporting goods store back then but I can't recall anything more specific than that.

Well I guess I'll just have to chalk it up as an uncommon variation.

If I get a chance I'll post a pic. It's a very good looking rifle other than the plane stock.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Fatstrat
Advanced Member

8317 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  08:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, the Numrich Cross Reference has Sears 234 = Savage 234. Lotta help.
But I wouldn't give up too quickly. You've still got options.
1st: Try the guys at both the Rimfirecentral.com Savage Forum and the Savageshooters.com Forums.
Then if all else fails, search the gun auctions on weekly basis. One's bound to pop up eventually. It can't be THAT rare. And you may find some info there. At least as to current value.
I ran across an old Springfield SS .22 that has no (visible) model number. It's taken me over a year to ID it. And I did so by watching the auctions until one like it appeared. Turns out it's (I believe anyway) a Savage Model 3-B. If your patient and tenacious enough, you'll almost certainly find the info you want.
As far as value. Those old Savage/Stevens/Springfield bolt action .22's generally aren't especially valueable. Unless a Target model or Military Trainer.
In VG to EX condition, I would suspect $75. to $150. tops. But they are good quality guns.

Go to Top of Page

pgtr
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  10:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep - I already posted to rimfire several days ago - so far nothing but I check it every other day or so.

I checked the closed gun auctions going back 3 months - nada.

I'm actually beginning to think it really is 'that' rare. (not that it equates to any value)

thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page