GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 H&R 32 CALIBER TOP BREAK REVOLVER-AGE???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lixonnn
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  10:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would really appreciate any info on how to establish age of the following revolver: H&R topbreak 32 caliber, inscription on the barrel reads H&R Arms Co, Worcester, Mass, Patents oct 4 1887, May 14, Aug 6 1889. Serial number is under grips and reads 7010X
Thanks!

32 Magnum

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  11:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lixonnn,
Assuming your gun is a 6 shot: with that set of patent numbers it is a Auto Ejecting 2nd Model 2nd Variation, made between 1893 and 97. As such it should have a nickel trigger guard, if nickel plated. There should also be a "thumb button" at the hinge, that if pushed toward trigger guard while breaking open the action, disconnects the extractor mechanism. It should also have black hard rubber grips with "target logo" and brass escutcheons. If you pull the cylinder -lift the latch while holding in the small button on the left side of top strap, release the button when latch is fully raised and the latch hook will remain unright, then pull the cylinder off the arbor - you will see the serial number stamped under the top strap. Look to see if there is a letter prefix. If a letter is there it will narrow down the exact year of manufacture. One other question: what is the barrel length and condition of finish?

Jim Hauff H&R Collector/Researcher
~ thanks to Bill Goforth, RIP my friend.
Go to Top of Page

lixonnn
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  11:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your fast reply
the barrel lenght is 5", the gun is all nickel plated in exellent shape cosmeticaly and mechanically. The prefix appears to be an A, although only the top triangle of the letter is visible. Complete serial is 74081. the revolver does have all the features you listed- rubber grips with a target logo,6 shot cylinder, a pin at the latch release. Is it possible you could point me to a book or any kind of reference I can use to prove the antique status of this firearm to a potential buyer?
thanks again for you help
Go to Top of Page

32 Magnum

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  11:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lixonnn,
Unfortunately, the book is still being written and probably won't be available until early 2008. Bill Goforth is the author, he also wrote the definitive book on Iver Johnson firearms (now in a 2nd Edition, updated). H&R firearms (as was the case with IJ) have been neglected as collectible firearms. Within the past 10 years, the collectibility of these "utility grade" blue collar guns has increased dramatically, because people who want to collect guns and can't afford to pay $2000+++ for an old Colt or S&W, can afford the IJs and H&Rs. This has raised the value of my H&R Collection, but has also raised the cost of my collecting affliction. A double edged sword.
Anyway, I don't, at this time, know of any source to quote as proof of antique status for these guns. Next year should be a different story. One thing to note: any old H&R gun that doesn't have a caliber marking on the left side of the barrel was produced to handle black powder pressures ONLY and is NOT SAFE to shoot with modern factory ammo, and is pre 1904. Nickel trigger guard indicates production before sometime in 1897, after which all trigger guards were blue finished. Glad to be of service.

Go to Top of Page

32 Magnum

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lixonnn,
Forgot to provide valuation. The 5" barrel Auto Ejectors are the 2nd less frequently seen versions. If your gun is in v.good to excellent condition both in regard to finish and mechanics, with the 5" barrel it should retail in the $150 to $185 +/- $20 range, mostly due to collector interest. A piece with this configuration in BLUE finish would be worth an additional $35 to $45. Original box adds another $25 to $45 depending on box condition.

Go to Top of Page

32 Magnum

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DARN IT, forgot another thing: 'A' prefix in serial number indicates manufacture circa 1895 (I have A86193, ironically it also has a 5" barrel and is nickel finish). I should note that years of production, model designations and variations are derived from Bill Goforth's research, valuations are based upon my experience buying and selling, on line and at gunshows.

Go to Top of Page

lixonnn
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate your time
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page