GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 marlin model 99 M1 .22 lr
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wiredog

378 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2002 :  5:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased one of these neat little guns. It is basically a model 60 marlin semi-auto .22 with the stock and forearm om a m1 carbine and shoots .22's These were produced between 1964-1978 per the blue book. I have disasembled the rifle and the only markings I can find are on the front of the barrel behind the front sight. "The Marlin Firearms Co. model 99 m1 cal .22lr new haven, conn., usa" and then wood of the upper handguard starts and above the lower stock in front of the barrel band is stamped "IJ" Is that a reference to Iver Johnson? I know they produced M1 carbines. Were they contracted by Iver Johnson or vice versa? Also this rifle has no serial number. No where on the rifle barrel, receiver, trigger group, etc... I have looked over every possible inch of this gun dis-assembled. Were rifles not serial numbered back in the 60's and 70's? I have alot of firearms that were and some even older back to the turn of the century that were serial numbered. The only firearms I have seen not serial numbered were over a hundred years old. Not anything this current. Someone even suggested these were used as trainer rifles for the military. I don't believe that because I think the last time the military ever used m1's in combat was around the korean war maybe vietnam at the latest. well before these were even in production. Any help is appreciated.

I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.

wiredog70@hotmail.com

Der Gebirgsjager

2123 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2002 :  09:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct about the wood coming from Iver Johnson. As for the serial number (or lack of one)long guns were not required to have one prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968. There are many thousands (millions?) of guns floating around that were produced prior to 1968 that do not have serial numbers, mostly .22 rifles and cheaper shotguns. The more expensive brands had serial numbers, but these were voluntarily applied by the manufacturers. Some companies like Winchester always put a number on everything. So, obviously, your carbine was made in the 1964-68 time period. As for use by the military (1) unlikely, and (2) if it was, it would be so marked. The M1 Carbine is such a sweetheart to shoot that I would be very surprised to find the use of a training rifle to be necessary. You have a neat little gun. Enjoy.

Edited by - Der Gebirgsjager on 07/14/2002 09:05:18
Go to Top of Page

wiredog

378 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2002 :  3:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the "IJ" is stamped on the barrel just in front of the wood stock not directly on the stock. Could this still be a reference to Iver Johnson? Since the stock is not stamped "IJ" could it have still been produced by Iver Johnson? Thanks.

I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.

wiredog70@hotmail.com

Go to Top of Page

22again
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  7:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Marlin model 99 22 LR M1 with the centennial 1970 emblem. I was given this gun long ago. I loved target shooting with it, it was so accurate, but I really haven't used it in awhile. I thought it might be valuable because of the emblem. Anyone have an idea.

It has the markings in the same places but the initials are JM. Anyone know who this is?

22again
Go to Top of Page

huffmanite

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  01:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmmm, I bought one of these marlins back about 1967 and still have it. No IJ or JM on my barrel or anything like those that I can see.
Nice shooting rifle, easy to carry. Many a squirrel got a bullet between the eyes when I hunted back then.
Go to Top of Page

wpage
Advanced Member

USA
9231 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  6:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the dates of manufacture its unlikely they were used for Korean War trainers.

"You shall receive power"
Acts 1:8
"My word does not return void, it will accomplish what I wanted"
Isiah 55:11
Go to Top of Page

hedgehopper62

780 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  08:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They did make trainers for the 30 carbine,made in salem Mi. called the hoban a 22 long rifle single shot.I have both the M1 and M2 made by marlin.the M2 is clip feed.tks hedge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page