GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 browning international medalist early series
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

msmann
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  10:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased a Browning pistol which I believe is an early model international medalist. It has the 5.9" Barrell with the the blued finish and the BAC marking and made in Belguim. It has a T in the serial # followed by a 71 which i believe this is the year of manfactured. Accordling to the blue book of gun values, there was only 681 of these guns manfu. in this configuation. Can you tell me if this gun is of the early models and how can i be for sure

Mk 19
Advanced Member

USA
6808 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  03:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
International Medalist:
About 700 were sold in the U.S. from 1977 to 1980. Barrels were 5 7/8" long. Built in Belgium.

Second Model International Medalist:
Same as above but with flat-sided barrel, dull finish, and adjustable palm rest. Built in Belgium.

There is no problem in life, no matter how large, that cannot be solved with the proper use of high explosives
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15898 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  11:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a version of the Medalist sold in the UK and Europe called the "Match 150 Model". It didn't have a wooden fore end, and the barrel was just under 6" long. I don't believe this stripped down version of the Medalist, was ever sold in the U.S.

IF your pistol has a physical description similar to the "Match 150 Model"? I believe that is what you have. It's quite rare in the U.S.

Go to Top of Page

msmann
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  4:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my pistol's barrell mics exactly 5.9" but the serial # ends with XXXXXT71 and this does not corelate with the browning website description of serial numbers and if this is the year of manfu. this does not match with the first issue of 1977 to 1980 If this is one what would be the approx. value of this gun and is it rare.
quote:
Originally posted by Mk 19

International Medalist:
About 700 were sold in the U.S. from 1977 to 1980. Barrels were 5 7/8" long. Built in Belgium.

Second Model International Medalist:
Same as above but with flat-sided barrel, dull finish, and adjustable palm rest. Built in Belgium.

Go to Top of Page

msmann
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  4:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
let me describe my gun. it looks exactly like a medalist without wooden forend. It has a 5.9" barrell and is blued with bac marking and made in belguim stamped on it my sn xxxxxT71 which i assume is the year of manuf. how can i be for sure if it is what you say and what would it be valued at. and where can i go on the internet to find a picture of one.
quote:
Originally posted by rufe-snow

There was a version of the Medalist sold in the UK and Europe called the "Match 150 Model". It didn't have a wooden fore end, and the barrel was just under 6" long. I don't believe this stripped down version of the Medalist, was ever sold in the U.S.

IF your pistol has a physical description similar to the "Match 150 Model"? I believe that is what you have. It's quite rare in the U.S.

Go to Top of Page

JohnStimson

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  5:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are three different BAC marked Medalist if you neglect the engraved versions.

The most common is the one with the 6.75" barrel and the wood fore end.

Second is the first version of the International Medalist which has no wood fore end and has a 5.9" barrel Finish and wood is the same quality as teh Medalist.

Third is the second international Medalist which has a matt blued finish, wood grips with adjsutable palm shelf, a slab sided 5.9"
barrel.

All three are pictured in the Standard Catalog of Firearms.

John Stimson, Jr.
www.histandard.info

Edited by - JohnStimson on 07/04/2007 5:54:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15898 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  5:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with valuation of your pistol, is that few of the Match 150's/1st, version International Medalist, whatever you choose to call it? Were sold in the States. To get top dollar your going to have to document their factory originality for the prospective buyer. Medalists are very collectable and their is substantial collector demand/value. I wouldn't accept this as a uncommon/rare variation of a Medalist if I was a collector, without documentation. John's reference to the Standard Catalog of Firearms, would be a excellent starting point.

Go to Top of Page

msmann
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2007 :  10:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from the looks of the pictures you sent i have the first series of the international medalist. i will further check with the Standard catalog of firearms. You have been very heplful. thank you!
quote:
Originally posted by JohnStimson

There are three different BAC marked Medalist if you neglect the engraved versions.

The most common is the one with the 6.75" barrel and the wood fore end.

Second is the first version of the International Medalist which has no wood fore end and has a 5.9" barrel Finish and wood is the same quality as teh Medalist.

Third is the second international Medalist which has a matt blued finish, wood grips with adjsutable palm shelf, a slab sided 5.9"
barrel.

All three are pictured in the Standard Catalog of Firearms.

Go to Top of Page

JohnStimson

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  07:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Rufe,

The 150 designation is the barrel length allowed in European competition 150mm = 5.906"

The photos of the guns in the Standard catalog are the same as pictured above. I provided the photos but not the information. The information appears to be wrong and in need of change but I am certainly not a Browning expert. I nolonger know the editor - they changed editors a couple of editions ago. I furnished data on High Standard and photos of other makes of guns that were not illustrated at the time.

Hello MsMan,

The first version in the pictures I posted is S/N 40828T71 .
The second version in the pictures I posted is S/N 81739T75 .

John Stimson, Jr.
www.histandard.info
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page