GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 A. Hubalek
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigbird55
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  4:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came into a pretty nice old rifle a while back. It is a Winchester Model 52A that has been converted to a single shot only rifle. It was a well done job and apparently was done by an A. Hubalek--a New York smith and shooter from the 40's era. It is identified on the bull barrel as such. The single shot floor replaced the magazine etc and a full sized plate/trigger guard was put on the bottom. Now for the question--does it have any intrinsic value due to it being a Hubalek job or just an interesting old shooter?

Bert H.

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  4:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you find the "right" collector, it has no added intrinsic value... in fact, most Winchester Model 52 collectors will not like it because it has been modified outside of the factory, and will not pay top price for it.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13775 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  4:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello I can't speak for 22 smallbore rifle but have a number of Bulls-eye pistol in both 22 and 45Acp many of these were "built" by the old master" pistol smiths I have found that the old F%$#'s that know what these guns are and knew the people that built them Love the old guns but 99% of the new shooters could care less and 99% of collectors don't want anything to do with modified guns . This leaves a VERY SMALL group that would pay a premium for your rifle. It will most likely be a great shooter.
Go to Top of Page

joel_black

USA
681 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  6:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't speak for Winchester collectors, but Ballard collectors highly prizes Hubalek's .22 Ballards.
Go to Top of Page

MP

270 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  01:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A barrel by Arthur Hubalek would add value to a rifle as far as I am concerned. What would not add value would be if the barrel was anything less than perfect inside. In that case it would be worth less than the same rifle with a factory barrel. This goes for all the custom .22 barrels by folks such as Pope, Peterson, Niedner, Johnson or Titherington.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page