GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 old bolt action shotgun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

adgrimm03
Starting Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  12:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need some help with identifing make and value of my neighbors old bolt action shoty.Identifing marks are GERMANY REMO II CAL.16 D.R.P.A RWE on the barell. HE said it was his dads so I imagine its pretty old. Thank you again all, GOD BLESS.

nononsense

8946 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  3:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
adgrimm03,

Geha and Remo, shotguns made from Mauser rifles after World War I prior to 1946.

"The first GEHA shotguns were not GEHA's. Rather, they were made by an optics company (they built components for Zeiss) and guild sporterizer known both as Gebrueder Rempt and alternately as Remo-Gewehrfabrik (Remo Rifle Company). Located in Suhl, Germany, Remo realized that they would go out of business without military contracts during the Weimar Republic era if they didn't think of something pretty quickly. An unknown someone at Remo-Gewehrfabrik then suggested buying surplus Gewehr 98's from what was left of the German Army, and converting them into 12 Gauge shotguns. The earliest Remos were comparable to most Guild Guns, and were heavily engraved in a Mauser sporter-style stock with cheekpiece. A second gun in 16 Gauge (referred to officially as the Remo II) was soon released. The first 12 Gauge Remo was made in 1919."

Much more to read:

http://ltgoodlife.com/features/JohnG/1/GEHA.htm

Best.

Go to Top of Page

adgrimm03
Starting Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  6:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you nononsense this will give me the info I need to get started. Thank you again and GOD BLESS.
Go to Top of Page

EVILDR235
Advanced Member

3019 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  11:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have a REMO bolt action shotgun that was made in GERMANY.Mine says REMO POPULAR.Mine is in 12 gauge and is not made from any Mauser.I own over a dozen Mausers and the bolt on my REMO is twice the size of any Mauser bolt gun.This topic has been talked about here before.Not all REMO's are made from surplus Mausers.
EvilDr235

Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8946 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  12:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EVILDR235,

What you state may very possibly be true but obviously some were made on Mauser actions. This is from an Auction description:

"Remo Popular bolt-action 12-gauge shotgun built on Mauser action by Gebruder Rempt from Suhl in Germany, active from about 1865 to 1941. Shotgun is in good working condition."

Best.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page