GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 History of Smith Carbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andrew hall

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  11:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to learn more about the history of a Smith carbine I received from my father. I can see the following information on it: Manufactured by American Machine Works, Springfield, Mass. Address Poultney & Trimble, Baltimore, USA, Smith's Patent, June 23, 1857. Additionaly, the number 4512 is stamped on the bottom of the rifle.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for research?

andy

dcinffxva
Advanced Member

USA
2561 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  01:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were about 30,000 Smith carbines produced during the Civil War, and were mainly used by Cavalry units. They are .50 caliber single shot breechloader, and open by pressing the latch that is forward of the trigger.

Occasionally you can get a more specific history from the Springfield Research Service, but they charge for the information, and last I checked their website was down.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

“Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.”- Mark Twain

Ride Hard, Live Free, Never Surrender.-J.S. Mosby
Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  05:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This oughta muddy up the water a bit...Looking thru Satterlee and Gluckmans American Gun Makers I find...

1. AMERICAN ARMS CO.,- Chicopee Falls, Mass.,Made Smith carbines during the Civil War......

2. AMERICAN MACHINE WORKS- Established by Philos B. Tyler in 1843 at Springfield, Mass. Manufactured Smith carbines on Civil War contract, in 1864.

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

dcinffxva
Advanced Member

USA
2561 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  05:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a third manufacturer on the Government contract named the Massachusetts Arms. Co. in Chicopee Falls.

Poultney and Trimble were the agents of Gilbert Smith, the patent holder. They also were responsible for adaptation of some of the saddle rings and bars.

The Smith's manufactured by American Arms are a little more scarce than the American Machine Works, and Mass. Arms.

I would suspect that the markings on Mr. Halls carbine more resemble

MANUFACTURED BY
AM'N M'CH'N WKS
SPRINGFIELD MASS

Just to toss a little more in, the military outfitters Schuyler, Hartman and Graham advertised the Smith's in their 1864 catalog, so there were some that were sold on the civilian market without inspector stamping.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

“Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.”- Mark Twain

Ride Hard, Live Free, Never Surrender.-J.S. Mosby

Edited by - dcinffxva on 11/19/2007 05:52:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

njretcop
Advanced Member

USA
4914 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  06:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andrew,

For a $15.00 fee, the Civil War Weapons Search people will research your Smith Carbine and possibly tell you if and where your carbine was used in the war.

I did mine and received a nice letter from them telling me the unit it was assigned to and verified that it was in fact, used in the Civil War.

Charlie

Edited by - njretcop on 11/19/2007 06:07:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Andrew hall

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  09:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gents,
You guys are great. I lappreciate the leads and will get to work on them.

dcinffxva is correct in how the letters are actually spelled out on the side of the gun.

My first adventure into antique guns. Thank you for being so helpful.

andy
Go to Top of Page

staind460

USA
941 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  12:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have shot a repro in NSSA comp many times. my buddy has two of em. they are great shooters and a great dear rifle
Go to Top of Page

blacklabbob
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  7:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try www.N-SSA.org
Hundreds of the original Smiths are shot in competition by members.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page