GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Looking for a savage model 12 vss.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Deasil

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  9:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have one or know where I could look for one.
maybe there is one that took it place.
What is the best savage gun and cal. for hunting things from groundhogs to yotes.
Thank you

Edited by - Old Fool on 01/06/2008 09:50:56 AM

Deasil

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  12:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ttt
Go to Top of Page

Old Fool

USA
1837 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  09:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the boards.

There are quite a few Savage bolt action guns listed on the auctions. 223 Remington, 22-250, just about any caliber that you could want.

He who governs least governs best.

NRA Distinguished Member
Go to Top of Page

Deasil

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  09:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes I understand there are,but I'm looking for the vss model. They stop making it and only made a few.
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5328 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  5:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deasil,

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I know they make a BVSS and an FVSS. But I haven't heard of VSS. I'll do some research and see what I find. There are several choices for Savage rifles from groundhogs to coyotes, depending on average range and how much you like to shoot. Savage makes rifles that come in .204 Ruger, .223 Rem, .22-250 Rem, .220 Swift, .243 Win, and 25-06 Rem. Those are generally considered the varmint calibers depending on how far out you want to shoot. the can also double as medium game rifles. They also make extreme range rifles in some larger calibers.
For a GP varmint round I would take the .223. Just my choice though.

Every shot serves a purpose, whether accurate or inaccurate. It will always tell you what you did, and did not do, right. Even if all you have is a fraction of a second to make it, learn from it. So the next one is even better.
Go to Top of Page

Deasil

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  8:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sand,
There is one up for auction. They don't call it a vss but that is what Savage calls it,it has the cheek piece that can be raised and a big opening in the rear stock.
Aution number is 88878706.
Waiting to hear from this seller on this gun.
Also looking at the CZ 750 in the 308 cal.
I'm looking to shoot from any where from 0 to 500 - 600 yards.
At CZ they say it is good to 800 yards. Don't know.
Look forward to chating with you on this subject.
Thank you,
Deasil
Go to Top of Page

dcloco
Advanced Member

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  9:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=88878706

I have one of those Choate stocks that has that exact wording (not the same as a regular Choate). "Choate stock made specifically for Savage...blah..blah".

Save your money....buy a BVSS, a Choate Varminter stock (there is also a sniper version)...and you are in business.

Did the VSS model you remember have an accutrigger or not? Single shot or not?

Would be easy, and relatively cheap to build a brand new rifle in the caliber that you wish.

Stainless action (single shot, with light accutrigger) - about $365
Factory stainless barrel - $225
Choate stock - $175
Add a little shipping to this total - $765.

Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5328 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  11:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deasil,

They used to make a model 12 Varminter with a standard choate stock like dcloco said. The one in this auction is a custom. Yes they quit making it. As far as this auction I wouldn't do it personally. You are paying $200 bucks too much for a rifle with a scope that isn't worth keeping. That's if the rifle is brand new. No mention of how many rounds through it, condition or anything. Savage makes a bunch of good rifles for less and some really good ones for a couple hundred more. There is a Swift on there now for $600-something.

As a varmint round there is something to consider if you want, and that is a 22-250 with a 1-9" twist in 12 FVSS. The 1-9" with 22-250 velocities will stabilize 75 and 77 gr. bullets. It will easily stabilize 68-69 gr. competition bullets and 70 gr. Bergers. Those are good 600 yd. bullets. For the price dcloco came up with it ain't a bad deal getting the rifle you want from Savage the way you want it set up. One thing I have noticed about Savage is that they seem to be a lot more in tune with what current market trends are and how to meet the customers needs a lot better than other manufacturers.

I forgot to mention too, when we post here I usually edit previous posts so more people can get replies in. On this forum topics are locked after 10 replies. It's standard procedure to keep a topic from winding along without good information coming forth.

Every shot serves a purpose, whether accurate or inaccurate. It will always tell you what you did, and did not do, right. Even if all you have is a fraction of a second to make it, learn from it. So the next one is even better.

Edited by - sandwarrior on 01/06/2008 11:41:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Deasil

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  1:52:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dcloco

Interesting.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=88878706

I have one of those Choate stocks that has that exact wording (not the same as a regular Choate). "Choate stock made specifically for Savage...blah..blah".

Save your money....buy a BVSS, a Choate Varminter stock (there is also a sniper version)...and you are in business.

Did the VSS model you remember have an accutrigger or not? Single shot or not?

Would be easy, and relatively cheap to build a brand new rifle in the caliber that you wish.

Stainless action (single shot, with light accutrigger) - about $365
Factory stainless barrel - $225
Choate stock - $175
Add a little shipping to this total - $765.

Where can one start to look for the above stuff?
Thank you I like your idea.

Edited by - Deasil on 01/08/2008 1:54:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page