GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Buying a long gun out of state
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slipgate
Advanced Member

Italy
9162 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  1:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So there is a gun show at the Dulles Expo Center in Virginia the weekend of 2/8. I am a Maryland resident. Can I buy a long gun (AR) at the show and take it with me or do I need them to ship to an FFL in MD? I know I can't do it with a pistol but this is a rifle.

Do you brew?

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." - General George Patton Jr

[Democrats] are like a drunken vagrant who emerges from the alley to cause havoc every few years. They are the perpetual toothache of American politics. - Ann Coulter

NRA Life Member - The ONLY organization that has ever done ANYTHING to further gun rights.

jonk
Advanced Member

9776 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  1:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on VA law and MD law. Federally there is no prohibition- I live in Ohio and have bought guns in Kentucky and once in Utah, no issues, in person.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
Go to Top of Page

GuvamintCheese
Advanced Member

30877 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  1:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have to buy it from an FFL?
Go to Top of Page

duckhunter
Advanced Member

8433 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  1:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By law YES. A non ffl can not sell to a non resident non ffl.
Go to Top of Page

jonk
Advanced Member

9776 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  3:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But an FFL CAN sell to a non resident non FFL, depending on state law... unless something has changed.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15445 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  3:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the answer to this question from BATF Web Site,, An FFL dealer may sell to a non Licensed person from another state but must ship gun to b e transfered by FLL dealer in buyers state..

In Florida it is against the law to sell outright to a non resident.. Private or FLL seller..

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37705 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  3:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wrong:

A person may only acquire a firearm within the personís own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

That is true of Handguns Roses, but not longguns, again State laws permitting.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36304 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  3:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

Wrong:

A person may only acquire a firearm within the personís own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

That is true of Handguns Roses, but not longguns, again State laws permitting.

HeDog is correct...If I remember correctly, when I was a dealer in the the Panhandle of WV, we could sell long guns to MD residents b/c they were a contiguous state...and I'm certain that we could to VA residents b/c I sold quite a few to VA residents. If I have time, I'll try to dig out my state laws book and double check, but I am quite sure that it would be legal to purchase a long gun in VA provided it was legal to own in MD.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15445 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  4:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CLASSIC HERE.Our FFL Dealer just got paid for a gun purchase from a person in michigan, He transefered the gun to an FFL in michigan and the person picked it up there..In essence he transfered the gun to an FFL dealer to transfer it to the person.. It happens all the time in the auctions.. I can buy a gun most any state but can only take possesion of it from an FFL Dealer in my state..It must be transfered from one dealer to another..I have all of this right in front of me as I type this..I can buy a gun from Locust Fork as Long as its shipped to an FFL here in florida..I have shipped several long guns to people that were here in Florida and wanted to buy a gun , had to ship to their local FFL dealer..No problem..

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Edited by - n/a on 01/15/2008 4:08:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

duckhunter
Advanced Member

8433 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  4:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roses, You are correct for a handgun. WRONG on long gun.
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37705 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  4:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Classic that is correct if you are buying on the net or from an ad. IF you buy in person then you can carry the rifle or shotgun home. I have purchased long guns in 4 states this way.

My post above is a C&P from the BATF website.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Edited by - He Dog on 01/15/2008 4:13:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36304 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Classic that is correct if you are buying on the net or from an ad. IF you buy in person then you can carry the rifle or shotgun home. I have purchased long guns in 4 states this way.

My post above is a C&P from the BATF website.

HeDog is correct again....darn...don't make a habit out of this!
Go to Top of Page

fizzer

USA
612 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  4:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is the link from the shows organizer about out of state purchasers.....http://www.thenationsgunshow.com/

now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb- darkhelmet(spaceballs)
Go to Top of Page

slipgate
Advanced Member

Italy
9162 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  4:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke with a VA dealer. He had to consult with someone else but told me a regular rifle is ok, I can buy it and walk out with it being a MD resident, but an AR or other "evil" gun with a handgrip, bayonet lug or hi cap had to be transferred to an FFL in MD.

I am aware that I can buy it from anyone/anywhere and have it transferred. The real question was could I avoid the $70 FFL transfer fees and pick it up myself. This paricular shop is 10 minutes from my work.

Do you brew?

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." - General George Patton Jr

[Democrats] are like a drunken vagrant who emerges from the alley to cause havoc every few years. They are the perpetual toothache of American politics. - Ann Coulter

NRA Life Member - The ONLY organization that has ever done ANYTHING to further gun rights.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36304 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  5:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beth and Larry...Florida residents can purchase long guns from contiguous states FL Code: Chapter 790.28 Hope this helps you guys in the future.
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37705 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  6:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Slipgate, are you jonesing for an evil black rifle or just getting a deer rifle?

$70!!! Man I hope he is using vasoline, I pay $20.

Go to Top of Page

slipgate
Advanced Member

Italy
9162 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  6:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So Slipgate, are you jonesing for an evil black rifle or just getting a deer rifle?

$70!!! Man I hope he is using vasoline, I pay $20.

I'll tell you in a couple of weeks...

Do you brew?

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37705 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  6:08:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, good luck!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page