GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 ruger p95
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

5mmgunguy
Advanced Member

3863 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  5:38:18 PM  Show Profile
How good is a ruger p95. I have two of them and they have both broken the retainer ring that holds the recoil spring on. One at about 1000 rounds the other at only 250 rounds. Also have one that leads rather badly in the barrel with lead bullets. Did I get a pair of lemons or is this standard fare for a ruger p95?

lts

USA
1020 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  6:13:01 PM  Show Profile
I say pretty good. Have had mine over 10 years with no problems. I only run new fmj or hp and occasionally some of my buddies reloads. Never ran it with lead.
Go to Top of Page

competentone
Advanced Member

USA
4977 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  6:53:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 5mmgunguy

How good is a ruger p95. I have two of them and they have both broken the retainer ring that holds the recoil spring on. One at about 1000 rounds the other at only 250 rounds. Also have one that leads rather badly in the barrel with lead bullets. Did I get a pair of lemons or is this standard fare for a ruger p95?

From your other thread:

quote:
Originally posted by 5mmgunguy

my ruger 9mm semi auto pistol is having feeding problems with reloads and lead bullets...anyone having problems getting them to feed too? ideas on fixing? work on the magazine feed lips...polish the ramp? other ideas?

I suspect you have ammunition problems.
Are the lead bullets one's you've cast yourself? (I'm not aware of any manufacturers who make non-jacketed 9mm rounds.) How are you determining proper hardness of the lead if you are doing the casting?

Ruger, on page 14 of the P95 manual states: WE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE
OR INJURY WHATSOEVER OCCURRING IN CONNECTION WITH,
OR AS A RESULT OF, THE USE IN RUGER FIREARMS OF FAULTY,
OR NON-STANDARD, OR “RE-MANUFACTURED”, OR HANDLOADED
(RELOADED) AMMUNITION, OR OF CARTRIDGES
OTHER THAN THOSE FOR WHICH THE FIREARM WAS
ORIGINALLY CHAMBERED.

They say such things because of the high occurrence of "operator error" when it comes to people doing re-loads. Ruger has designed their P-Series 9mm pistols to handle +P+ rounds safely. If you are getting breakage as you describe, I would carefully check the loading of your ammunition.

My personal experience with my P94 and my brother's P89, shows no problems after thousands of rounds.

"Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness." -- H.G. Wells (The Time Machine)
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

7527 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  09:26:01 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the previous post. Breakage like you describe indicates (to me anyway) something serious is happening with the ammo. Regarding leading-swaged bullets in hot 9mm loads will lead up the barrel. I've used quite a few cast bullets in both P89 and P95 w/o any leading. I did have a little grease/carbon buildup at the front of the chamber but not enough to stop functioning. I can judge the load level in my Rugers by the distance the empties are ejected. The +p stuff will throw the brass about 6-8' while my plinking cast bullet loads drop brass almost at my feet.

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

ruger41
Advanced Member

USA
9739 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  12:39:12 PM  Show Profile
I have a P95DC that has over 2000 rounds through it with not one jam. I have only shot factory loads through it though.

Go to Top of Page

B17-P51

USA
1527 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  1:44:09 PM  Show Profile
I agree with everyone else. Uglier than a mud fence, built like a tank, runs forever.You have another problem that is not Ruger related. Please check your loads carefully. If a rough bore is causing your leading, and the gun is new, shoot at least 500 rounds of FMJ or some other jacketed before condemming the gun.
Go to Top of Page

kc5gxc

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  7:53:48 PM  Show Profile
I have a P95, the one with the safety....I love it and shoot lead bullets all the time....get some leading, but cleans out easy.(I sometimes use a strip of chore girl bronze cleaning pad wrapped on an old brush and it rips the lead rite out !)
Never had feeding problems with reloads for it, but did have problems with my 45 ACP reloads feeding in a 1911.....I started using a Lee factory crimp die and that ended my feeding problems.
Good Luck. Pete

NRA Life Member
VFW Member
GOA Member
CCRKBA Member
Go to Top of Page

Wehrmacht_45
Advanced Member

3231 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  9:16:58 PM  Show Profile
I have a P85MkII and it has been nothing but excellent. Your problem is ammo related I would guess.

America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
Hunter S. Thompson
Go to Top of Page

cjkusnierz

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  11:09:49 PM  Show Profile
not sure whats happning with your old one but the new one is probably a rough barrel.like others said run some jacketed threw it first.my brother loves his 89's and shoots the crap out of them.and not the good stuff,the cheepist gunshow rounds he can buy.dont give up on them.

cj
Go to Top of Page

lksmith03

1509 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  11:15:00 PM  Show Profile
clearly an ammo problem.
The only thing mine doesn't like is light loads. I use almost exclusively lead bullets and the only time I have jams are after shooting over 1k rds without cleaning it.
I shoot mine extremely hot (125gr ltc bullet @ 1220fps with 20fps std dev), put about 10k+ rds thru it and it still cycles perfectly and is still more accurate than i can shoot. In my opinion the P95 is as close to indestructible as possible.
Try harder bullets, and check your loads against published data such as the Hodgdon site, and/or buy a good reloading manual since it has extra info. That should fix the leading, shoot a few hundred factory fmj, jhp, or otherwise jacketed ammo to smooth the bore as others have said.

Proud Conservatarian
Go to Top of Page

lksmith03

1509 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  4:33:30 PM  Show Profile
another proof of their strength in my eyes comes from my early reloading experience of doing something EXTREMELY stupid.
I loaded about 50rds of 115 gr bullets with 13gr of Clays (DO NOT ATTEMPT THAT).
The thing that makes this so stupid is that the MAX charge of this powder in a 44MAG is 6grs (according to the hodgdon website)

The gun handled them without a hiccup and the gun is still grouping about an inch from 25 steps from a sandbag rest several thousand hot, but sane, handloads later.

Proud Conservatarian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page