GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Ithaca M 49
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dakotashooter2
Advanced Member

4521 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  10:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw one of these, the standard grade in 22 lr, priced at $299 at the local shop. My first though was are these guys on crack, my second was I had better polish mine up. I have seen a couple of these floating around gunshow tables for about the last 10 years priced at $125 and they can't even get that out of them. Saw one on the auction side starting at $189 and another bid up to $135. So what are these worth? I have a couple copies from Agawam Arms that I think are better made and I don't think they are worth more than $50.

For those who believe Obama is the Messiah remember, prophecy tells use the antichrist will proceed the TRUE Messiah.

Edited by - dakotashooter2 on 02/13/2008 10:26:53 AM

MFI
Advanced Member

6889 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  11:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll see this all over at fluctuating prices. Here in Upstate NY close to Ithaca they are collectible and worth $200 . The blue book has the standard 49 at $145 at 100%. The 49R is $265 at 100% .

Proud owner of Marino Firearms Inc. Hancock, NY. Cancer survivor.. Now entering our 92nd year in family business !http://GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=37494

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20071002/STBN02/110020006/If-s-outdoors-s-Marino-s

GunBroker MEMBER SINCE 1999 !!!!!!!

Edited by - MFI on 02/13/2008 12:00:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Spider7115

USA
24947 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  1:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was my first .22 as it was for most kids my age. I felt like "The Rifleman" even though it was just a single shot. The painted receiver tends to peel but they're still a neat little gun. I see them around here in Upstate NY for around $125-$150.

-"SPIDER"

ALLAH KA-BAR!

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10952 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  2:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have owned mine for 42-years now, and it is worth at least a MILLION dollars today (at least to me). It was my first gunpowder burning rifle. I routinely see them priced from $100 - $200.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

21508 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  2:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have seen several plain ones & bought a deluxe for $150...never have seen a presentation grade, but would like to snag one someday...smooth & polish up receiver & use brownells baking lacquer to redo finish
Go to Top of Page

dakotashooter2
Advanced Member

4521 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  4:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main advantage that I found with the Agawam Arms model was a blued steel receiver. The Ithaca must be either a cast and/or alloy receiver. I used both models to eradicate 1000's of gophers in my younger days. Both are great guns. My Ithaca was inherited from the side of a snowmobile trail and had little finish when I found it. I repainted it but it got heavy use and is due to be refinished.

For those who believe Obama is the Messiah remember, prophecy tells use the antichrist will proceed the TRUE Messiah.
Go to Top of Page

TWalker

1828 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  5:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
M49's in excellent condition usually bring close to $150 in my neighborhood. Stay clear of M49R's though. They don't have the simple falling block action of the regular 49 and Ithaca had so many problems with the 49R that they were discontinued after a very short time in thye early 1970's. I had one and never did get it to work right even after two trips to the factory. Later Ithaca went to a M72 lever action made by Erma in Germany. It is an excellent gun and is the same as today's Henry lever actions.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page