GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 300 Weatherby Mag. NWTH Gun of the Year
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ARguide
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  7:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was lucky enough to win the National Wild Turkey Federation Gun of the Year. It is a 300 Weatherby Mag. It commemorates the 35th anniversary of the NWTH. I don't have much use for the gun and it is so pretty I would be scared to hunt with it. So what is it worth?

nononsense

8958 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  8:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ARguide,

It would help us a lot if you would tell us about the rifle. We know it's chambered for the .300 Weatherby Magnum but that's it. Describe it as best you can.

What is the brand of the rifle?

What stock does it have, synthetic or wood?

If you don't have these answers, please post some sharp detailed photographs.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

ARguide
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  11:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry......

It is a Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe Chambered in the .300 Weatherby Mag. The gun features a high-gloss figured walnut Monte Carlo Stock with Maplewood spacers and rosewood forend and grip cap. This elegant rifle features a custom floorplate commemorating the NWTH's 35th anniversary and is consecutively numbered 1 through 2700. This gun is #1714.
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7100 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  06:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is basically a Howa action, and a good one at that, but not as valuable as the Weatherby MK V. That being said, most NRA, NWTH, RMEF, and other commerative guns have a value of not much more, if any than their contemporary counterparts. In otherwords, you have a nice rifle there that is worth between 500-700 dollars to the right person, but you are not sitting on a gold mine. They are nice to look at, and a lot of people wouldn't take it into the woods, thinking it is a gold mine.

Best
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8958 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  09:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ARguide,

Commemorative firearms are a nice remembrance of the events, the one that is being marked and the fund raiser where the firearm is being sold. Other than that, there is very little more that can said for them. The market for commemoratives is virtually the same as the standard market for the firearm. In essence, they don't command any increase in price just because they are a commemorative.

The MSRP from Weatherby is $931.00 and the street prices I've seen run from about $720.00 to $750.00 on the Internet.

Try putting it up on the Auction side and see if there is any interest. There might be some folks that really want an NWTH rifle, you never know. The rifles themselves are ranked high on the list of value over cost as Howas but the Weatherby name adds only cost, not more value. Your description along with some quality photos might just do the trick!

Best.

Go to Top of Page

ARguide
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  10:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a little search and came across one like mine on the auction side that went for $805.00. http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=91723363

I called a local gun shop and they said a new one like it without the engraving would go for about $720-$750 + tax. They said their cost on the gun was $690. Maybe true maybe not. I asked one of the NWTH reps what the gun was worth and he said about $800. But it is just like anything else, it maybe worth $1 million but you still have to find someone to give you that for it.

Either way, I never win anything and for one $20 ticket I now have a very nice gun. I most likely will get rid of it to get something I will use. Needless to say, I am happy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page