GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Colt 1911 sear spring help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

helicopter_pilot

1469 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  9:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The backstory: I have a commercial Colt 1911 Government Model made in 1917. Someone had cut the lanyard loop off of the mainspring housing, apparently with diagonal cutters. So I found a replacement. Last month I tried to remove the parts out of the mainspring housing, only the mainspring cap would not come out. Apparently it had been in so long that it wore itself a groove or a ring or something. So I gave up trying to get it out and a friend has a friend who is a 1911 expert who gave him the parts I needed. I got the parts the other day.

Now here's the issue: I put the mainspring pin, mainspring, and mainspring cap into the housing and easily inserted the mainspring cap pin. It was a piece of cake to assemble the new unit. When I assembled the gun before (with the old MS housing assembly) the hammer cocked but would not release. This time (with the new MS assembly) the hammer can be pulled back but it will not stay cocked.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong with the sear spring. How exactly do I insert the sear spring such that the gun functions as it is supposed to? Is there some sort of 'trick' to it? (Aside from putting a rubber band around the grip safety before disassembly!)

bobski
Advanced Member

Vatican City
19621 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  9:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you need 3 hands.
click on the member 'perryshooter'
he can do it in his sleep for you.

Edited by - bobski on 03/29/2008 9:46:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

A J Christ
Advanced Member

Switzerland
5649 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  9:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I can't explain it but could fix it for you in under 1 minute. To bad you're on the other side of the country.

To bad someone dorked up the original.

If you don't get them together correctly, they don't work right. I've been around them or carried one of those things for almost 40 years and still marvel at John Browning's genius.

A good example of a bad example
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13981 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  10:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello the sear spring"three leaf spring " should be installed this way first cock the hammer now put safety in the up safe position position and remove the safety . This will allow you to also remove the grip safety . This will allow you to see what is going on. now pull the trigger to let hammer drop. the three leaf spring serves 3 purposes the left most leaf pushes against the sear/ trigger the center finger pushes against the bottom of the disconnector this pushes the disconnector up and toward the front and the right finger pushes the grip safety back . . Now install the spring in the pistol by installing the tab on the bottom into the slot in the frame first and the three fingers lying against the sear and disconnector. Start the mainspring housing up into frame just far enough to hold the bottom of the three leaf spring . now cock the hammer to allow you to install the grip safety and safety. now pull trigger to allow hammer to fall then slide the mainspring housing up the frame slot holding the grip safety in and aligning the hammer strut into the mainspring. the main spring will go almost all the way with no tension I take a small pi punch to hold in place and line up hole to allow me to insert the main spring housing pin. Hope this helps if you need more info contact me on my profile.

EDIT EDITYOU DONE GOOD, Now if you can tell me how to reinstall a Jesus Nut on a HUEY when it comes off in mid flight before it hits the ground and I can go back in time 43 years we will be even.

Edited by - perry shooter on 03/29/2008 11:29:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

helicopter_pilot

1469 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  10:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I have the gun here. The mainspring housing and sear spring are off.
quote:
Originally posted by perry shooter

Hello the sear spring"three leaf spring " should be installed this way first cock the hammer now put safety in the up safe position position and remove the safety .

I cocked the hammer and flipped the safety up. The front of the thumb safety -- that is, the top 'corner' of the thumbpiece is about even with the top 'rail'. The bottom corner is just above the spring-loaded detent pin. It won't move any farther up, and it won't just drop out of its hole. How do I remove the safety?

Go to Top of Page

helicopter_pilot

1469 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  10:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wait... Got the safety off. It came out when it was not quite in the 'safe' position.

Continuing with perry shooter's instructions...

Go to Top of Page

helicopter_pilot

1469 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  10:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And that did it!

Thanks for the assist!

Go to Top of Page

helicopter_pilot

1469 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  11:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perry shooter
EDIT EDITYOU DONE GOOD, Now if you can tell me how to reinstall a Jesus Nut on a HUEY when it comes off in mid flight before it hits the ground and I can go back in time 43 years we will be even.

Heh. I've only flown Robinson R22s and Schweizer 300CBs. (The Schweizer is the same basic aircraft as the TH-55.)

I always check the Jesus nut in preflight. Only when you know that that's there's only one bolt holding the rotor system on I think, 'Best not to think about it...'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page