GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Failure to Eject - Glock 17
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaym

129 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  09:35:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm having an ejection problem on my Glock 17. I've had the pistol for 5 years, and it just cropped up. After firing, the spent casing either stays in the chamber, or is pushed back into the chamber. The next round attempts to feed, and runs into the spent casing. This doesn't happen with every round, and I can't find any type of a pattern. I primarily shoot handloads, 115 gr. winchester hollow point with 4.7 gr. of Bullseye. I haven't had problems with similar loads in the past. This problem seems to occur regardless of whether the gun is clean or dirty. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?

njretcop
Advanced Member

USA
4914 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  09:39:38 AM  Show Profile
Strange as it seems..........it sounds like the old limp wrist problem to me. You must get a grip on your Glock and follow thru in order to complete battery. Happened to me.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Member: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD.
njretcop@copmail.com

Go to Top of Page

oneshy

521 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile
My Speer manual has a min. charge of 4.8 to 5.3max. You're chg. is on the border line anyway, but has been sufficient and I use less with weaker recoil springs. If you are unconsciously limp wristing also, this could cause the problem. A new batch of powder could have the same result. Before we blame the weapon, try bumping up the chg. .3 and keep a solid hold. You might also try a 124gr bullet.
Go to Top of Page

Nighthawk
Advanced Member

USA
10806 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  11:42:45 AM  Show Profile
You are experienceing a very rare problem,as Charlie Stated you could be limp wristing but if you have never done it before its unlikely your doing it now.The Reloaded ammo could be your problem.I hope you have never shot lead non Jacketed ammo in your gun.If you have you may need a new barrel.However it doesnt sound like that type of problem.Is your ejector still in good shape?Ive noticed with my Glockcollection that once fired Brass is about it for the Glocks,after its been reloaded more than once I dont Bother shooting it in my Glocks.Hope this helps.

Best!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
Go to Top of Page

doomsknight62

203 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  12:38:14 PM  Show Profile

Check your ejector...a friend of mine had his " claw " break and the thing would eject *sometimes* but it was probably just luck. Anyway...about the " limp-wristing. " Limp-wristing is a terrible term but that is exactly what it is...and a good way to tell if this is your problem is this- if you are guilty of limp-wristing, sometimes ejected cartridges will bounce off the top of your head while firing. It hurts, and it looks silly, but I was told this is a big sign of limp-wristing.
I know some people are big fans of hand-loading, but try a factory box next time you shoot. If you gun has the same problem, the problem is your gun. Good luck!

" God is in His Heaven, All is Right in the World. "
Go to Top of Page

v35
Advanced Member

USA
12643 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  1:18:11 PM  Show Profile
If the limp wrist or underpowered load theories dont pan out, consider the extractor or extractor spring. The update kit includes these.
I use ancient Canadian WW2 9mm brass,'60s commercial and range pickups in Lugers, HiPowers and a G19 and never saw a bad case. I believe it's because it's a short, thickwalled case that is fired in tight chambers and doesn't see a lot of resizing.

Go to Top of Page

jaym

129 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  3:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I just got back from the range. I fired 200 rounds and had the problem once. I was consciously watching my hold. I don't think it's limp wrist, I have 2 other 9mm's and they don't have this problem with the same ammo. Also, I've never had this problem with my H&K USP .45. As far as the load goes, my Lyman reloading manual lists 4.8 grains as the max load for a 115 gr. 9mm hollow point. This is in line with the reloading data I have from Alliance, the manufacturer of Bullseye.
Go to Top of Page

njretcop
Advanced Member

USA
4914 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  4:24:18 PM  Show Profile
jaym, the problem is more pronounced with Glock pistols for some reason. This does not make them bad guns or any less reliable than any other model.

The fact that this time "it only happened once in 200 rounds" while you were aware of the "limp wrist" indicates to me that you are on the right track to solve the problem.

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Member: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD.
njretcop@copmail.com

Go to Top of Page

sfetty

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  12:46:12 AM  Show Profile
When was the last time you changed the recoil spring? The factory springs need to be replaced every 2000 rds.

Go to Top of Page

leeblackman
Advanced Member

5534 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  12:55:31 AM  Show Profile
First check and make sure your extractor is still in good condition, then check and make sure your ejector isn't broke. Then if they are both good, try working up you handload a little and seeing if you still have the same problem.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
Go to Top of Page

SUBMARINER

1103 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2002 :  02:50:14 AM  Show Profile
before you go through all the trouble buy some quality 9mm "store bought" rounds, and run through them.if it dont happen with them then you can consider the reloads as problems, if it doesnt then you might need to change bullet depths or go to a more aggresive crimp.bullet depth will cause more powder to burn and create more kick which will improve cycling.your problem sounds similar to one of my early reloading problems.i fixed it by adding more powder (1/3 grain) and seating my bullets deeper

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail:WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page