GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Rossi vs. NEF/H&R
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sirgknight

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  5:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm about to purchase a single shot .223 w/bull barrel but need your opinions. Is one any better than the other in material and workmanship? I have heard very good things about each of these makes, but I want advice from you owners out there. I might mention that price isn't THE determining factor, but I can purchase the Rossi for about $30 less than the NEF.

n/a
deleted

12321 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  5:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO the NEF is better.
Go to Top of Page

hdcolt51
Advanced Member

USA
4000 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  5:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with freemind.
Go to Top of Page

guntech59
Advanced Member

Seychelles
15718 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  5:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a SS/Synth NEF in .243. Always shoots around 1" at 100 yards (with me shooting, so I'm sure it's capable of better than that). I'm not sure how ALL of them are, but the trigger on mine breaks at a clean 3.5 lbs.

IMO the Rossi rifle are just plain ugly. I've never shot one so I have nothing to say about that.
Go to Top of Page

csjs1194

USA
2068 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  6:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a Rossi in .223 heavy barrel it would shoot 1" at 100

I have a freind that bought one in 22/250 and on the first shot it loacked up and could not be opened

what are you going to pay for it? you might be better off to wait and save up a little more and get a savage for around $450-$500 you would probably be happier.
Go to Top of Page

iluvguns
Advanced Member

USA
4700 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  6:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure you get the bull barrel. Problems have been noted with the regular barrels in 243 and 223. They really want to string their shots from those long slender shots. Talking about NEF here. If you get a bull, it should shoot great. Son has one in 243 and it is a good shooter. Same with the 7-08 barrel. If you look at the NEF and Rossi side by side, that will make up your mind. The NEF is head and shoulders above the Rossi.

"It is time to check and reverse the growth of government which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed." Ronald Reagan, January 20, 1981

Go to Top of Page

sirgknight

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  7:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can get the Rossi for $170 + 10 shipping + $25 FFL fee. NEF $30 more. Both are NIB with bull barrel. Not interested in regular barrel; bull only. I'll be using this rifle for small varmints and pleasure shooting/plinking. I have an AR15 and love the .223 caliber but I can't afford to shoot it. I tend to have this habit of wanting to shoot every round in the box (50 cal ammo box). I plan to put a bi-pod and scope on the single shot. As far as Savage, Ruger, etc. goes, I don't want to put that much money in a single shot. I also need to upgrade my reloading equipment some day. Thank yall for the advice. I do like the looks of the NEF over the Rossi. I already have an NEF .410 and love it. About twenty years ago I bought my oldest son (14 at the time) an NEF 30-30 and it it still driving tacks at 100 yards. I paid $119.95 for it; boy do I miss the "good ole days".
Go to Top of Page

MFI
Advanced Member

6863 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  7:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NEF is better . You'll get better service if for any reason you need to send it back and its made in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA while the Rossi is Brazilian. BUY THE NEF !!

Proud owner of Marino Firearms Inc. Hancock, NY. Cancer survivor.. Now entering our 92nd year in family business !http://GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=37494

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20071002/STBN02/110020006/If-s-outdoors-s-Marino-s

GunBroker MEMBER SINCE 1999 !!!!!!!

Edited by - MFI on 03/30/2008 7:41:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

MrGunz22

USA
1973 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  10:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own both. I have a NEF handi rifle in .223, .270 and 44mag. Its an outstanding rifle for the money. Super accurate and built well. Also, with their barrel program you can always add other barrels like I did. The rossi is not built as nice and does not offer additional barrels. I just got my Rossi in 7.62x39 at the local Gander Mtn. on sale for $119.99. With my $100 gift cert., I couldn't pass up a $20 gun. But if I had to choose its NEF all the way
Go to Top of Page

Mk 19
Advanced Member

USA
6606 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  10:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another vote for the NEF, I will mention something different than the rest of the guys though. Just think if something went wrong with your rifle and you had to send it back for repairs. I have personally been very satisfied with NEF and I have had nothing but headachs with Rossi.

There is no problem in life, no matter how large, that cannot be solved with the proper use of high explosives
Go to Top of Page

shane

1006 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  10:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrGunz22

I just got my Rossi in 7.62x39 at the local Gander Mtn. on sale for $119.99. With my $100 gift cert., I couldn't pass up a $20 gun. But if I had to choose its NEF all the way

I also have a Rossi in 7.62 x 39 and love it. my friend has the NEF in .223 and he loves it........For the money I think either is a good gun.

Sir Shane of the~Secret Select Society of Sauve Stylish Smoking Jackets~ <P>
Go to Top of Page

iluvguns
Advanced Member

USA
4700 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  10:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other "plus" in favor of NEF that hasn't been mentioned, and I forgot when I originally posted. They have a barrel exchange program where you can put another caliber barrel on your action. Costs about $125 including shipping your receiver back to them. Rossi has been saying they will offer the same type of program for years, but it has never come about.

"It is time to check and reverse the growth of government which shows signs of having grown beyond the consent of the governed." Ronald Reagan, January 20, 1981

Go to Top of Page

iwannausername
Advanced Member

7043 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  08:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been thinking about one in 22lr for my daughter, leaning towards the Rossi since it has an external safety...

user@darkstar:~$ links -dump http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html | grep "the people"
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and
construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
or to the people.

Why is it that one of these "the peoples" isn't considered to be The People?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page