GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Thinning Oil based Paint For Spraying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

glock__26

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  8:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much should I thin oil based paint for spraying in an automotive type sprayer?

I'd rather be judged by 12 strangers than carried by 6 friends.

n/a
deleted

12321 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  8:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on the type of oil based paint your spraying.
Go to Top of Page

Captplaid
Advanced Member

USA
17661 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  9:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question. Its been 20 years since I done it. I'm curious what other opinions are.

Obama believes he can tax your breathing.

Liberty isn't free. It is paid in blood. -Thomas Jefferson

Does anyone remember what the Boston Tea Party was about?
Go to Top of Page

whiteclouder
Advanced Member

13401 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  9:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on the tip you're using. Is it low pressure/high volume? Too many variables. Ask your paint shop.

Clouder..
Go to Top of Page

mango tango
Advanced Member

USA
3180 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  01:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Start at about 10% and adjust from there. I'v sprayed Rustoleum at 10% reduction, and it works great. Spray the first coat very light, then when that gets sticky to the touch, apply the next coat heavier, and the next a little heavier always waiting until the last coat gets sticky to the touch. The heavier coats will require longer intervals before the next coat. You have to be patient when spraying enamels, so as to not run the paint. 3 coats should be plenty, unless you reduce it a lot, then more coats will be required.

I was a auto body painter for 25 years, i have a little experience!

"I didn't do it, and nobody saw me do it!

Edited by - mango tango on 04/09/2008 11:11:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

moose56

USA
465 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  02:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..trying thinning it by about 25%, 100% paint and add 1/4 amount of thinner(4-to-1 ratio). When you stir it with a wooden stick, lift the stick above the cup about 8-10 inches. If the paint falls from the stick and forms its own droplets as it falls back into the cup, it should be thin enough. If it is too thick, it will form a long string of paint from the stick( like when you pour syrup).
You could also try checking the website of the paint manufacturem they may have tips.

Moose

"I will follow the path of others some of the time, but most of the time I prefer to make my own path." - Mike Moyle
Go to Top of Page

glock__26

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  06:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the tips. I just wanted some opinions on it. Thanks again!

I'd rather be judged by 12 strangers than carried by 6 friends.
Go to Top of Page

ripley16
Advanced Member

5280 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  07:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read the label on the paint can. I sold paint for a major paint company and can say with some authority most of the advise given so far is bad. The good news is: you can always repaint over a bad paint job.

Favorite quotes...
"Can't we all just...get along?"-- Rodney King
"Don't taze me bro!" -- Andrew Meyer
"I am a jelly donut" -- JFK
"Ah, er, um, ah, I mean, ah." -- the eloquent Barak Obama
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
25801 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wear a respirator.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

In the immortal words of another GB member - "...it's not much of an overstatement to say they were inhuman bloodsucking soulless vultures."

Get In...Sit Down...Shut Up...Hang On!!

Come in...Turn around...Gimme' your wallet...Bend over!!! <edited due to obamanomics>

Go to Top of Page

slipgate
Advanced Member

Italy
9162 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  08:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not blue smoke and mirrors. The paint will tell you what you need to do.

There is also a measurement device that looks like a ruler with a V cut out of it. You sip it in the paint and when properly thinned, this device will show you.

Do you brew?

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." - General George Patton Jr

[Democrats] are like a drunken vagrant who emerges from the alley to cause havoc every few years. They are the perpetual toothache of American politics. - Ann Coulter

NRA Life Member - The ONLY organization that has ever done ANYTHING to further gun rights.

Go to Top of Page

Tartersauce

461 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  09:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used automotive single stage paint enamel HARDENER with cheapo Rustoleum paint.

You thin paint per the viscosity. How it drips off the stick. I kinda like it a little thin to do 3 coats. If yer using an HVLP gun you would want it a little thicker than if you used a conventional paint gun.

Just thin and spray a test panel. If it looks like an orange peel....either too thick or insufficient air pressure. Too thin and you'll have a waterfall.

It's all the painters technique, air pressure, temperature, the material used, and the gun.

Too many variables to give a precise mix ratio from a chair.

I've sprayed cars, trucks, and tractors with that cheap paint.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth."
George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Captplaid
Advanced Member

USA
17661 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  09:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moose56

..trying thinning it by about 25%, 100% paint and add 1/4 amount of thinner(4-to-1 ratio). When you stir it with a wooden stick, lift the stick above the cup about 8-10 inches. If the paint falls from the stick and forms its own droplets as it falls back into the cup, it should be thin enough. If it is too thick, it will form a long string of paint from the stick( like when you pour syrup).
You could also try checking the website of the paint manufacturem they may have tips.

Moose

In high school and just out of school I did some on the farm with a Binks #7 or clone. This was just before the HVLP guns came out. I never tried one of those. I pretty much started with it just starting to fall off the stick in droplets. If I used a regular cheap paint, it was much much easier. As the paint setup, each coat was thinner. The tacky paint allowed the thinner coats to stick. The third coat was very thin.

If a higher quality paint was used, it was more difficult. A fast evaporating paint and primer changed the evaporation time and drying time. The paint dried faster and went into and out of the tacky stage faster. The fast drying pain was better if dust is a problem. The faster it dries, the less dust will stick to it. Like everyone says, variables change and you try to identify them and adjust.

Fish eye remover and hardner was also added.

Dad also painted it "dry" without a shine and buffed it out. I was in college when he tried this techneque. It seeemed to work OK.

I remembermy grandfather used to say he perfered to paint in the winter with less humidity. He would sweep out the garage sprinkle snow on the cement and turn the heat up high.

That's my opinion, but it's been a long time since I've done any painting and never was properly trained. I probably picked up more bad habits than proper methods and don't know squat.

Obama believes he can tax your breathing.

Liberty isn't free. It is paid in blood. -Thomas Jefferson

Does anyone remember what the Boston Tea Party was about?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page