GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Pecan tree question......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Locust Fork

USA
24477 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if any of you know what I can do to get a Pecan tree to produce? There are a few trees here....not in the best of locations. They are surrounded by other trees and on a slope. I haven't noticed pecans on them since we've been here...but if there is anything I can do to help I'd like to know.

My grandmother said to pour epsom salt on the ground and keep leaves under them until they are about to fall....and then rake around them so when the nuts fall I can get them. She swears by that salt for just about everything...hydrangias...roses....dog baths...she'll put that stuff on anything that sits still long enough.

Click here to check out my auctions?..I double dog dare you to!!!

Horse Plains Drifter
Advanced Member

USA
23759 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dcon will be along shortly to answer your question. He's nuts ya know.

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad

U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
CA#8......3%

Gadsdens by Werwolf
Go to Top of Page

GuvamintCheese
Advanced Member

29585 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dcon12 will be along with what is sure to be a great answer.
Go to Top of Page

COLT

USA
14253 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  10:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...Yep, Don will know the "tricks" I'd suspect. I do know that here in N.Texas that the more water the trees get, the bigger/better/ and more pecans my trees produce; bumper crop always follows a really wet year around here. As for any fertilizer or minerals that help...Don will have to help.

...Last year was really wet, and I had a bumper crop of nice pecans, and squirrels...both ate, are eatin' well...

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

http://www.blindhogg.com/

"It's a poor damn man that can only spell a word one way!"...Harry S. Truman

"We will never try to placate an aggressor by the false and wicked bargain of trading honor for security"...Dwight D. Eisenhower

Go to Top of Page

USN_Airdale
Advanced Member

USA
3614 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  10:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in most cases you need two or three other pecan trees to produce nuts, i have 4 Pistachio trees, one male and three females, i was told by a Pistachio tree expert i needed three males and a dozen females to produce a decent crop of nuts, as the females flower sooner than the males shoot their pollen buds.

COME AND GET IT !
Go to Top of Page

gagirl
Advanced Member

USA
4585 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  10:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pecan trees are both male and female on the same tree...so even with one you can get a good crop (for one tree)... do you fertalize it? You can get soil testers.. or just use a 10-10-10. (prolly need 3-4 lbs for each inch of trunk about waist high) I also know they need zinc but I have no idea how much. my gands had a pretty big pecan orchard.. no thanks I hated picking up those things!

Go to Top of Page

turtles11756

1175 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  10:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some trees will produce others will not it's genetic if trees are grown from seed .it could be nutrient deficiency look to see if there are male and female flowers forming on ends of branches . it's best to go with grafted stock with any kind of fruit tree but leave yours there as a pollinator which even grafted stock will need
Go to Top of Page

turtles11756

1175 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  10:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.northernnutgrowers.org the experts
Go to Top of Page

lindalecowboy

USA
1816 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  11:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had 8 giant pecan trees on a 3/4 acre lot surrounding my house. They are great for shade in the sweltering Texas summer but only produced usable pecans every 2-3 years. I did fertilize them and also used another mineral on them (as recommended) but I can't remember what it was, zinc I think...... but anyway, get the right stuff from the experts and do it like they recommend.

My only point (without the details you need) is it does take some specific farming to get your trees to produce the max. They don't just do it naturally every year and some varieties don't produce usable pecans but once every 5 years.

Also depends on the rainfall in your area. You can't water them enough to help a giant pecan tree so it really is all about the water table and rainfall.

good luck, I love those giant paper shell pecans.

Go to Top of Page

mowart

USA
1002 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  4:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this were VA, I'd say to call your county Agriculture agent. He probably has brochures and knows what others have had to do.
Go to Top of Page

allen griggs
Advanced Member

USA
26192 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  4:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to live in a ten acre pecan orchard in Georgia. The orchard, sadly, was pretty much abandoned because the owner couldn't get anybody to pick up the nuts, he said all of the old time nut pickers were on welfare.
He had about ten trees that he harvested nuts from, he would put 10-10-10 on the ground, and those trees really cranked out the nuts.
Go to Top of Page

dcon12
Advanced Member

Georgia
26338 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  6:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Locust Fork

Just wondering if any of you know what I can do to get a Pecan tree to produce? There are a few trees here....not in the best of locations. They are surrounded by other trees and on a slope. I haven't noticed pecans on them since we've been here...but if there is anything I can do to help I'd like to know.

My grandmother said to pour epsom salt on the ground and keep leaves under them until they are about to fall....and then rake around them so when the nuts fall I can get them. She swears by that salt for just about everything...hydrangias...roses....dog baths...she'll put that stuff on anything that sits still long enough.

Hell, you have only been there a few months!!! Pecans do not grow overnight. The three major things pecans need is water, water and water. Fertilizer is nice to. Yard trees will never produce as well as orchard trees because more care and money are spent on orchard trees. Soil samples need to be taken to see what elements your soil is lacking. Fungicides and insecticide sprays need to be applied at the proper times. In order to get quality pecans, you need the right varieties along with the right pollinators. Other than that, just let them grow and in the fall harvest what ever falls. This is just my opinion and others may have more useful and valid information. Don
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
36633 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  6:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It takes balls to be an expert on nuts, doesn't it Don?

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

Cubslover G16
Advanced Member

USA
15506 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  6:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

It takes balls to be an expert on nuts, doesn't it Don?

Not really, he just loves nuts.

"Half of the lies they tell about me aren't true"

Click here to put a bid on my Yugo monster.

"Some people are alive, only because it's illegal to kill them"

- Member: Emergency Medical Response Team
- Member: HazMat Rescue/Response Team

Go to Top of Page

Wolf.

USA
2232 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  8:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
==

ALERT===ALERT

Or, as the robot would say, "Warning! Warning!". Seriously, however, if you fertilze the tree or put down any kind of soil ammendment, BE SURE that you DO NOT lay the stuff down close to the tree's trunk. You can kill it very easily if you do.

Sprinkle the stuff down at and maybe 6" insde the drip line, depending on tree size. The drip line is actually the outside edge of the imaginary circle made on the ground by the edge of the tree's branches and foliage. Imagine an umbrella with the rain dripping off the edges. Water in in very well You can add these things closer to the trunk by diluting it by about 30 parts water to one part "stuff". It's not really necessary though, because the roots branch out toward the dripline and will pick it up. So water in in well.

Wolf.

"Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... And, we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

dcon12
Advanced Member

Georgia
26338 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  8:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf.

==

ALERT===ALERT

Or, as the robot would say, "Warning! Warning!". Seriously, however, if you fertilze the tree or put down any kind of soil ammendment, BE SURE that you DO NOT lay the stuff down close to the tree's trunk. You can kill it very easily if you do.

Sprinkle the stuff down at and maybe 6" insde the drip line, depending on tree size. The drip line is actually the outside edge of the imaginary circle made on the ground by the edge of the tree's branches and foliage. Imagine an umbrella with the rain dripping off the edges. Water in in very well You can add these things closer to the trunk by diluting it by about 30 parts water to one part "stuff". It's not really necessary though, because the roots branch out toward the dripline and will pick it up. So water in in well.

Yea, that is the way its done. Don
Go to Top of Page

FrancF

USA
32245 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  9:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

dcon12 forgot to mention playing Neal Diamond CD's outside at a soft volume also helps the mood for making nuts-

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
30434 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  9:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well since this is about nuts.

Anybody ever seen a Cashew Tree. Or ever even seen one in its shell.

Grumpy Gunny
Go to Top of Page

dcon12
Advanced Member

Georgia
26338 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  9:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrancF

quote:

dcon12 forgot to mention playing Neal Diamond CD's outside at a soft volume also helps the mood for making nuts-

He ain't heavy, hes my nutter.... Don
Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24477 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  01:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya'll are so much fun here....and very helpful!

I know I haven't been here long, but I know there weren't any pecans here last season when there were pecans at other trees nearby. Its usually between October-November that the trees start dropping nuts here. I figured if I was going to be doing anything to help them I had better get started.

What is funny is that I LOVE picking them up!!! I get into finding them in the grass...you can feel them with your shoes off. The time just flies and it is just heartbreaking to finally realize that you have gotten them all and have to stop. Of course I cheat a little and use a coil-type picker so my back is saved.

Click here to check out my auctions?..I double dog dare you to!!!

Go to Top of Page

owen219

USA
2035 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  02:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any good pecan grower knows the Old South trick to make the tree produce nuts at about 8 or 9 times normal or get them to produce about two years sooner than expected. You take a large copper or iron kettle and heat it up as hot as possible. Then you pour in about two gallons of Cider Vinegar and let it get hot. You put in a box of Epsom salts and stir, then a cup of yellow Sulpher and stir, add about a quart of salt peter and stir, put in about a pound of wax, you then put in some bare corn cobbs about a half peck. Boil this stuff down till it cakes on the cobbs. Let cool and bag the caked cobbs. You put 4 to five cobbs about 3 feet from and around the truck of the tree. Renew the cobbs at least twice more before harvest time. Bring your biggest truck to harvest the wonderful crop. The pecans are usually at least twice as meaty and about 50 % larger in size besides the tremendous production. We have the only producing pecan trees in the North using this old secret growers mix. My Grampa and Great Grampa would shoot me if they knew I let this out of the bag but they are gone now and I think it needs to be shared a little for someone needing the help.
Go to Top of Page

CapnMidnight
Advanced Member

USA
5541 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  02:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing I know about pecans was a pecan queen from Weatherford Texas. She always flowered soon and I still miss her.
W.D.
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
12862 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  04:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Anybody ever seen a Cashew Tree. Or ever even seen one in its shell.

Yeah, but not in the US. Nut grows on the bottom of the cashew fruit, which is poisonous. (or so I was told- no first hand experience with cashew toxicology)

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

A J Christ
Advanced Member

Switzerland
5588 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  05:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fertilzer to use with nut trees contain zinc sulphate. Should be able to get it on line or a place like Lowes. Tine to aply it is in late Feb or early March. Directions should be on the bag/box. Can be applied twice a year, second time in June, not sure the reason why to do it the second time.

Have 5 trees around the house. Usually they will bear every year if I fertilize, if not every 2 to 3 years. We also have bad years, too wet, too dry, late frost, bad for bugs, etc that also have a lot of influence. The tree close to the sepctic tank is the one that does the best and has the least problems with bugs.

A good example of a bad example
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page