GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Winchester Model 03 .22
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jlong1824
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  7:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got this handed down from my grandfather and am trying to gage its worth. It's a Mint(if not mint, as close as it gets. He took extremely good care of it, rarely shot, if ever) Winchester Model 03 .22 rifle. The number above the trigger guard is 35818. If anyone knows the approx. worth I would appreciate it. Not sure I want to sell it yet, but if I do I would like to know what I should look to get so I don't get ripped off. Thanks.

Bert H.

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  12:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the GunBroker's Experts forum.

Before we address the value number, at least one thing needs to be clarified.

You mention that the serial number is 35818 (which tells me that it was manufactured circa 1908. You also state that it is a "Model 03". Therein lies the potential problem. Winchester introduced the "Model 03" in the July 1904 catalog as the "Winchester Automatic Rifle Model 1903". It was physically marked "MODEL 1903" up until the year 1919. Winchester shortened the Model designation from "1903" to "03" in April of the year 1919.

So, are you absolutlely sure that the serial number is "35818", and that the rifle is marked "MODEL 03"?

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page

Jlong1824
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  8:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, here is what I see....

Made in USA Winchester Repeating Arms Co.
New Haven Conn. Pat Aug 27 01\Feb 25 02\Feb 3 17\Dec 22 03(I think that last number looks like a 3, but possibly a 0, tough to tell with the naked eye but it's not as clear as the other numbers. Almost like the number didn't print fully.

Model 03 .22 cal automatic

Right above the trigger guard, 35818
Go to Top of Page

UncleFudd

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  9:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bert;

I have my 03 out and looked at the sn on it as wellas the info you mentioned.
My sn is 49108 and it is marked "mod. 03 .22 cal.Automatic"
-Winchester-

Do you know the date of this one and does it help to answer the questions or shed any light on the gun of Jlong?

I am absolutely certain mine is the shortened version as mt Long has described. Also the book indispute that we have discussed says mine is made in 1909. So I will prefer whatever dates you have as opposed to mine as a result of my origin of facts.

Thanks
UF
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  12:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello fellows,

Let me preface this before going any further. First, I do not own a Model 1903/03. Second, I have not ever completed any in depth research on this Model.

Now with that stated, I do know that Winchester shortened the model designations from "18xx" and "19xx" per a change of manufacture notice issued in April of the year 1919. On all of the Models that I am very familar with (1886, 1890, 1894, 1895, 1897, 1902, 1904, 1906, and 1912), I do know that the Model designation was changed very shortly after April of 1919. While it may be possible that the Model 1903 was changed to "03" sooner than 1919, I would be somewhat shocked if that were actually the case.

As for serial number 49108, I do not know precisely when it was manufactured. That said, I absolutely do not trust the DOM information published by Madis. I will make a few inquiries to the CFM and see what I can find.

Serial number 35818 can be researched/lettered, which will positively confirm when it was received in the warehouse.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  12:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jlong1824

Thanks for the reply, here is what I see....

Made in USA Winchester Repeating Arms Co.
New Haven Conn. Pat Aug 27 01\Feb 25 02\Feb 3 17\Dec 22 03(I think that last number looks like a 3, but possibly a 0, tough to tell with the naked eye but it's not as clear as the other numbers. Almost like the number didn't print fully.

Model 03 .22 cal automatic

Right above the trigger guard, 35818

The third patent date you list appears to be incorrect. It is out of sequence, and te date is too late. Winchester stamped the patent dates in chronological (date) order. Can you post clear (close-up) pictures of the markings on your rifle?

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

Jlong1824
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  11:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried taking pics, but our camera is terrible when it comes to clear close ups. But I looked at it again under the light with a magnifying glass and can tell you with 100% certainty that it reads.......

Aug.27.01.Feb.25.02.Feb.3.17.Dec.22.03

If you can't figure it out, I'll try to take it to a gun shop or two around here, but it's kinda slim pickens. Thanks for all your help either way.
Go to Top of Page

Jlong1824
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  11:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/owatonna/winchester/550036_win03dlx_owa.jsp;jsessionid=ABUCV0TFMFYTJLAQBBLCCNNMCAEFAIWE?hierarchyId=11931&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=N/A&cm_pla=N/A&cm_ite=netcon&_requestid=103468

This gun is very similar, mine doesn't have the old school site like this one does, other than that and a different checkering pattern, they are very similar. Don't know if that helps or not.
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  2:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I think that I may have stumbled upon the answer to why your rifle has "MODEL 03" stamped on it. Does it have a "P" inside a circle stamped on the barrel (very near the receiver frame)? If so, then the answer is simple... the barrel on your rifle has been replaced with a newer production barrel.

While looking online at several that are for sale, I stumbled on a rifle in the same serial number range as your rifle, and it was listed as a "Model 03". In looking at the pictures of it, I could clearly see that it had a mail order replacement barrel with the "(P)" stamped on it. The other rifles I viewed in the same general serial range were all marked "1903".

GunBroker.com Moderator

Edited by - Bert H. on 05/08/2008 2:28:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  2:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jlong1824

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/owatonna/winchester/550036_win03dlx_owa.jsp;jsessionid=ABUCV0TFMFYTJLAQBBLCCNNMCAEFAIWE?hierarchyId=11931&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=N/A&cm_pla=N/A&cm_ite=netcon&_requestid=103468

This gun is very similar, mine doesn't have the old school site like this one does, other than that and a different checkering pattern, they are very similar. Don't know if that helps or not.

Does your rifle have a pistol grip buttstock like the one listed on Cabela's? If so, it is a Deluxe.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page