GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Winchester 1893 shotgun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barzillia
Advanced Member

19512 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  7:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have a link to or copy of an illustrated parts list and breakdown instructions for this shotgun? I am having trouble removing the bolt and carrier to replace the firing pin spring, and it does not look like the same spring used on the 1897 will make an adequate replacement. I should probably leave well enough alone, but I don't like guns I can't shoot. Thanks

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Ungläubigen und Greulichen und Totschläger und Hurer und Zauberer und Abgöttischen und aller Lügner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Wolf.

USA
2232 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  10:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
===
EDIT:
If you don't like guns, then why're you messing with it?. Of course you like guns! You just need to figure out how to take them apart and reasemble them. Go to WalMart and buy a can or two of aerosol brake cleaner there. When you have the gun apart, [wear safety glasses, please] spray the heck out of the inside of the receiver. Make sure you blow out all the slide grooves, channels, etc. Scrape them out with a pick or something like that. Chances are it's never been done before. Oil lightly with any machine oil after you've got it all cleaned up.

============================================
I have not dismantled a WinMod1893 shotgun, but there is not a whole lot of difference between the 93 and the 97.

Here is a link to a web page for an exploded WinMod97 diagram and parts list.
http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/Win1897.jpg

Below is some information that I acquired somewhere along the line. Hopefully it will assist you. Where you find a variation in your 93 not evident in the 97, just wing it. There's not enough variation for you to be stumped by it.

CHANGES FROM THE MODEL 1893 TO THE MODEL 1897

In June 1897, the model 1897 was born & the following changes were made to the 1893. Then the gun was called the Model 1897, with the serial numbers of the guns continuing from the 1893. Apparently the series A & B relate to the 1893. Not sure if all "B" guns had rounded end magazine plugs.
(1) New firing pin lock put in breech block.
(2) Screw put in receiver to hold magazine from turning.
(3) Release pin and plunger (for action slide lock)
(4) Top of cartridge ejecting opening in frame made straight.
(5) Spring placed on inside of action handle encircling magazine.
(6) Collar put inside of magazine to keep spring and follower from coming out.
(7) Top of breech block made straight.
(8) Receiver holding bolt made shorter.
(9) Buttstock made longer, drop changed, and outside shape changed slightly.
(10)Friction spring put in under cartridge guide.

WINCHESTER MODEL 1897 SHOTGUN

Bolt Assembly Takedown
1. Remove carrier pin stop screw (69), dropping hammer and drift out carrier pin (50). Remove cartridge guide stop screw (23), and entire carrier assembly may be lifted away from (through) bottom of receiver.

2. Disengage breech bolt (40) from action slide hook (30) by unscrewing action slide hook screw (37). Breech bolt together with action slide hook may now be removed, breech bolt from rear of receiver and hook from side or bottom.

3. Remove 2 butt-plate screws (79) and buttplate (80). Using a long-shanked wide-tipped screwdriver, remove buttstock bolt (47) and buttstock washer (48). Then, with a flat-nosed punch, drift out trigger pin (24). Remove guard bow (trigger guard) (44) and assembly from back end of receiver.

4. Reassemble the Model 1897 in reverse order. When reassembling trigger (43) and trigger spring (46), use a smooth nail (A) as a temporary trigger pin. Cut nail to width of guard bow (44). When this assembly with the piece of nail is replaced in the receiver, line up with the hole in the receiver and drive in the trigger pin, which will push out the piece of nail as it is driven home. This assembly "trick" will make the job a lot easier.

Wolf.

"Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... And, we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by - Wolf. on 05/10/2008 10:52:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10866 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  12:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barzillia

Does anybody have a link to or copy of an illustrated parts list and breakdown instructions for this shotgun? I am having trouble removing the bolt and carrier to replace the firing pin spring, and it does not look like the same spring used on the 1897 will make an adequate replacement. I should probably leave well enough alone, but I don't like guns I can't shoot. Thanks

Hello Barzilla,

Generally speaking, I do not recommend that you shoot your Model 1893... even if you do get it back in shooting condition.

To explain my recommendation, the Model 1893 was designed for black powder cartridges only. The primary reason that Winchester replaced it with the Model 1897, was the advent of smokeless powder, and the large number of 1893s that were being reurned to the factory for repair (after being shot with smokeless powder shells).

Additionally, the Model 1893 was chambered for a 2-5/8" shell only. When the Model 1897 was introduced, it was made for the longer 2-3/4 inch shells that were the standard for decades. If you try shooting your Model 1893 with anything but black powder (or if you reload, one of the black powder substitutes), and a shell longer than 2-5/8", you will damage the gun.

While the Model 1893 and Model 1897/97 are similar, they most definitely are not the same, and there are a number of differences.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page

Barzillia
Advanced Member

19512 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  11:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I plan to stay with bp loads. Looking for a damascus barrel.

There really are more than a few changes from the 1893 to the 1897 that I have noticed, can go through a 1897 pretty quickly, but before I take a hammer to the 93, I thought it best to go in informed. The current spring is a home repair and clever, but doesn't give enough pressure to the firing pin to go beyond a light dent in the primer. That is not good.

A new gun that won't shoot? Like having a new car that won't run. Or a new wife you can't kiss. Gonna have to be pretty special to keep!

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Ungläubigen und Greulichen und Totschläger und Hurer und Zauberer und Abgöttischen und aller Lügner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10866 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  12:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A damascus barrel for the Model 1893 was a very rare special order option. Good luck in your search for one.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page