GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 winchester 9422 Mag models?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

idahoBill
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  11:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello,
I'm looking to purchase a .22 mag lever action rifle. I'd like to purchase something that I can use (not just sit in a collectors case looking pretty ) but grow with value over time (as long as I take good care of it). I've heard (at the local gun shows) that the Winchester 9422 is the best one to get. From what little I've gleaned from the intenet, these went into production in 1972? and were retired in 2005 (tooling was wearing out and Winchester found it difficult to compete (price wise) with Henry).
What were the various models (in mag only)? What was the XTR? is
it 'better' (value wise) than the orginals?
If I put optics on it (or purchase one with optics) what should I look for?
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

dcs shooters
Advanced Member

Turkmenistan
11030 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  11:17:56 PM  Show Profile
The XTR is a little fancier, checkered wood. I put a 2X7 scope on mine. Be ready to pay premium for one now.

Dick
NRA Endowment Member

Don't mess with old guys. they are too old to fight, too fat to run, so their only choice is to kill you.

You can't fix STUPID, but you can vote it OUT !!!!

If Obama is the answer, it is a very stupid question!

OBAMA, HE'S OUR NUMBER ONE GUN SALESMAN !!

quote:
Political Correctness is a doctorine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by a mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10937 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  11:56:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello Bill,

The U.S. Repeating Arms Co. retired the Model 9422 because they were permanently closed down by their parent company F.N. (in March of 2006). It had nothing to do with tooling wearing out. It did have a lot to do with the high cost of labor and taxes in New Haven, Conn.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!

Go to Top of Page

idahoBill
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  01:18:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks (Bert) for the correction I don't want to get the facts
wrong. I beleive I read the 'tooling' issue online someplace so my post was hearsay. (I did get the price issue right though

Thanks too (dcs) for the info on the XTR! From looking at the auctions (current and completed) it looks like some of the XTR models 'did not' have the checkering. In addtion, "some" of the XTR models were 22 inch barrels and some were not (very confused??)
One thing that did stand out, is that the checking 'is' the more sought for (and more expensive) model.

Question: does the year of Mfg (or lower SR#) make any difference in 'quality'? or... does a model made in 1980 (for example) is just as good as one made in 2004??
From a 'shooters' perspective, is the 22inch barrel 'better' than the 20.5" barrel??

At the local gun show (today) a guy was selling a Win-Cam model (funky looking stock). He was asking $850. Based on what I see here
(on the auction site) that was 'way too much'

Just trying to get some more info, before I purchase.
All thoughts and opinions 'most welcome'

thanks!
Bill
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
33953 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  01:27:01 AM  Show Profile
I have the xtr magnum that I am very pleased with too. I have a 2&3/4 power Redfield scope on it.

What's next

Edited by - kimi on 05/19/2008 01:28:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7140 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  08:48:25 AM  Show Profile
They made some so called limited editions with color case hardened recievers toward the end, and octagon barrels too, if my memory serves me correctly. The Winchester/USRA is the best lever action Magnum out there.
Go to Top of Page

greeker375
Advanced Member

USA
2611 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  2:10:32 PM  Show Profile
I had a 9422 standard mdl that I just sold for $550. Until I sold it, it was only out shot by my Browning .22 Auto that my Dad got me Christmas 1956.

For a lever gun I also like the Henry's. Very accurate, the one's I've shot.
Go to Top of Page

SP45

1526 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  2:19:54 PM  Show Profile
They are hard to find now and everyone want a lot for them. The asking price for a realy nice one here in the midwest is $650.00. I recently got one for myself. If you are interested in a Marlin Levermatic in 22 mag (99%) email me direct.
Go to Top of Page

Ischia

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  01:15:13 AM  Show Profile
I have a Marlin 1894M in .22 mag, Shoots great,extremely accurate, and is all ready for a scope (drilled & tapped) Alas, even being fairly recent production, these are really hard to find now at any price. Looks as if any Winchester 9422 .22mag under $500 on GB is a pretty good buy. I would not sell my Marlin for that I know.

SW
Go to Top of Page

Spider7115

USA
24876 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  08:27:43 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tsr1965

They made some so called limited editions with color case hardened recievers toward the end, and octagon barrels too, if my memory serves me correctly. The Winchester/USRA is the best lever action Magnum out there.

You may be thinking of the Marlin 39A which had both round and octagon barrels. I've never seen a Winchester 9422 with an octagon barrel but if you can find one, I would certainly love to see (and own) it!

-"SPIDER"

ALLAH KA-BAR!

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

Ischia

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  10:09:42 AM  Show Profile
Spider7115,

Nope, It's not the 39 (octagon) or the later 39A. I have never seen one of these in .22mag. It is a 1894M (disc. in 1989) Bought mine from Texas out of the GunList paper years ago. With the 3-7 Leupold scope,no sights,sling,case,and about 15 boxes of shells it was over $500.00 even then. I Looked for along time and they were just not around. A few years later one was laying on a "specials" table of .22's at local gunrange/store. All original,sights, and close to 100% but missing butt plate. I almost broke my fingers getting my money out at $175. Why did Marlin quit making this beauty?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page