GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 38 S&W Special CTG Value
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gtman48
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  5:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to value a 38 S&W Special CTG that was given to my father by his father. I was told it is from WW1. The serial number is: 63271 it is stamped into the butt the barrel as well. It is nickel plated all over and seems to be in great shape.

Herschel

2023 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  5:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.38 S & W Special CTG is the stamping that indicates the caliber cartridge that the revolver fires. Unfortunatelly some cheap Spanish copies used this to mislead buyers into thinking the revolver was a S & W Product. Does it have the S & W logo on the right side of the receiver (sideplate) or on the grips? A rough approximation of the age of the revolver may be possible when it is established what model it is.

If the finish is factory nickle that will be a plus. If it is aftermarket plating it will be a detractor from value.

The serial number indicates it might be a Military and Police Model of 1905. If so it would have been produced in the 1905-1906 time frame.
The value would depend greatly on the mechanical condition and the amount of original finish remaining on the revolver.
Go to Top of Page

gtman48
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  05:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the barrel is stamped:

38 S & W SPECIAL
US SERVICE CTG'S

Also yes the TRADE MARK logo for S & W is on the Right side of the receiver.

The Nickle is Factory it is on everything and still has a shine.
Go to Top of Page

gtman48
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  05:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also the logo is on the grips too. On the top of the barrel is stamped:

SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS USA
tHEN A WHOLE BUNCH OF PATENT STUFF?
Go to Top of Page

Xracer
Advanced Member

2551 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  09:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herschel nailed it. What you have is Smith & Wesson .38 Military & Police (Model of 1905). 10,800 were manufactured between 1905 and 1906. Yours was made in 1905.

Blue Book value (% = amount of original finish left):

98% - $1,400
95% - $1,225
90% - $1,050
80% - $850
70% - $775
Go to Top of Page

gtman48
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  9:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, next question. How do I sell it?
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12678 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  10:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GunBroker is an auction site.

If you start on the home page, you can find the FOR SELLERS tutorial that will take you step-by-step through the process.

Before you do anything, browse current auctions on GB. Note that all auctions have photos. You will some good photos, but many that aren't. To get a reasonable price, you will need to post at least 6-8 high quality close-ups. If you aren't able to take good photos, it will be worth your while to pay a professional to take photos for you. (Hint: Most wedding photographers are also skilled at studio work.)

Neal
Go to Top of Page

dodrums
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  10:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a very similar piece in Nickle and at approx 90% finish left. I am excited to hear that the value is where I suspected it might be. I am headed to a gun show this weekend to see if dealers and collectors may agree. Will post what I find out sometime later this weekend - many thanks.
Go to Top of Page

john w
Advanced Member

4050 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  01:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dodrums

I have a very similar piece in Nickle and at approx 90% finish left. I am excited to hear that the value is where I suspected it might be. I am headed to a gun show this weekend to see if dealers and collectors may agree. Will post what I find out sometime later this weekend - many thanks.

Your in for a rude awakening at the gunshow with the experts. BEWARE
Go to Top of Page

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

7956 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I am excited to hear that the value is where I suspected it might be."............in todays economic climate these prices are VERY optomistic, a 90% gun would be hard pressed to make $400/500

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page