GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 .177 cal Marksman Repeater - looking for info
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

atisthammer
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  11:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've recently 'inherited' this very real-looking auto-loader shape pistol and am looking for more info on it. It is entirely black metal. I'd say it's an air gun, but the air cylinder doesn't seem to be replaceable. On closer inspection, it looks more like the ammo is propelled by a spring, rather than by air alone. There's no model number on it. It was made in Torrance, CA. The 'slide' is pulled backwards then pushed forward to build up pressure, which is released with the trigger. Once the U-shaped slide apparatus is pulled back, you can press a button under the barrel and a 'reservoir' pivots upward to be filled with lead shot. I'm pretty new in the gun arena and this thing looks pretty darn weird to me! The pistol looks old-ish - at least it's from a time before it was against the law to have 'toy' guns that resemble real ones.

Anybody know anything about this pistol? Is it worth anything? I can email photos...

Thanks,

Alice

gruntled
Advanced Member

8912 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  12:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There have to be a very large number of them around. I bought one around 1955 & they are still being made. The only change is the reservoir for BBs. The original ones were single shot only. Very low power & low accuracy but a fun first gun. They can be used with BBs or as a single shot with .177 pellets.
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7101 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They also at one time marketed a dartboard, and 177 cal darts for it. I have one, and I believe they are about 240 FPS or so.
Go to Top of Page

Eternal Sun 111666

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  11:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a price "reference" I bought mine from K-Mart in 1984 or 1985 for $14.00...I wish I had the $14.00 back instead.

Get yourself a glock and loose that nickle plated sissy pistol.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game...Andy Rooney
Go to Top of Page

atisthammer
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  3:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thoughts exactly, Eternal Sun!! My W.O.C. is a .45, not one of these 'pretenders'.

Someone has taught me a new trick and below are pics of the non-gun:
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13059 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  10:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one, complete w/ darts and cardboard dart board. Still sold at Wally World. My office is at home, so times I am on hold on phone, can sit there and pop darts across the office. Joys of being Virtual Office!

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

dtknowles

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  10:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wore two of them out over a period of 30 years. Mostly shooting the darts. I fitted new adjustable sights to the second one, took them off a also worn out crossman CO2 pistol. This got it to shoot to point of aim and improved the sight picture.

The Marksman is a spring air gun, cocking compresses a spring that drives a piston when the trigger is pulled. The piston compresses the air that drives the projectile.

Velocity is pretty low, short barrel, small piston and weak spring.

Trigger is not horrible, shooting it is better than dry fire practice, my opinion.

Can single load, .177 pellets or darts and will feed BB's in a 10 shot repeater fashion.

I think it is a great way to teach a kid to shoot a handgun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page