GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 crescent arms 410 dbl barrel shotgun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jodividus

262 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2002 :  6:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have come across a nice old double barrel 410 shotgun, giving the manufacturer on right side of reciever as Crescent Firearms Co, out of Norwich, Conn, USA, and it also says on left side of receiver Quail Hammerless. It could use a new stock, other wise seems in nice condition. The fellow who had it is about 80, and said he got it from his dad when he was 10. Can anyone give me light on value, background, etc? Its for 2 1/2 inch shells. thanks,davek@sisqtel.net

AdamsQuailHunter

1018 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2002 :  6:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello "jodividus"

Below is a "cut and paste" from "what is this" by the author "n4thetrill" on 6/20/02. The reply I have "cut and pasted" is from BlackRoses. I will NOT steal her thunder.

"If it is an Enders Royal.. it was made by Crescent..of Norwich Connecticut..

The Crescent company made guns at its Norwich works.. beginning about
1892.. It was bought by H&D Folsom of New York City....Huge quantities of "Hardware Guns were produced as well as Folsom's house brand American Gun Co. of NY.. In 1922 the Crescent brand replaced the American Gun Co.. It was sold to Stevens and was merged with Davis-Warner and became Crescent-Davis Arms... 1n 1932 the operation was moved to the Stevens plant at Springfield, Mass.. Stevens kept the full line catalogue of Crescent-Davis until 1941..

The guns were inexpensive and made in large quantities.... They were referred to as "Hardware Guns".. Crescent used many Brand names as well as producing Folsom's house brand.. American Gun Co of NY.. Some of the brand names used by Crescent are.. Enders Royal,, Connecticut Arms.. Daniel Boone Gun Co.. and the list goes on.. From what I can find out.. most of the guns were made for Hardware Companies.. hence the term "hardware guns..Shapleigh, Montgomery Ward.. Silliman Hardware, Belknap Hardware are only a few the guns were made for.. I can copy the pages used if this is an Enders and email them to you..

The guns are not valued highly..and it depends on condition..

One woman's opinion"

I will have to disagree with BlackRoses about not being highly valued. I was just offered one from a gun shop in Texas that I have done some business with in the not too distant past for $1000 --- as a classroom teacher my budget couldn't afford it. It was in pristine condition, but in shootable shape the one you have should bring at least $450. If you are going to sell it for $250 then get in contact with me and I will take it off of your hands.

A stock can be made for it by "budreaux39" --- a member of this forum and has M&S Gunstock Shop -- www.mandsgunstockshop.com. It will NOT be cheap but a good restoration never is.

Best Regards
Go to Top of Page

nord
Advanced Member

USA
4786 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2002 :  9:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take it from AQH...

The magic is in the ".410". That may not be true tomorrow, but it sure is today. The stock will bring down the value considerably, but a Crescent .410 double will bring a grand if in nice shape.

Nord
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page