GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 "blue sky" M1 Garand value
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Slash0311

1582 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  11:46:11 PM  Show Profile
A friend has a M1 with the barrle stamped "blue sky." I've done some searches on the net and have a pretty good idea what the stamp means but I haven't found anything that could give me a guage on the value. I would say that the stock and finish is 75% or so. No major scratches or damage. I know that it was fired at 100 yards and a guy put two shots into the black spade on an ACE! I saw the card and the guy that owns the rifle now saw him shoot it. I'd say that the rifling is in pretty good shape. He bought it about 10 years ago and paid $300 but I think that it should be worth more than that. I know that it's not going to be a $1000 rifle but he'd like to get a fair price. I also searched that current auctions on here and found only one that mentioned blue sky. Any help would be great!

Semper Fi!

rsnyder55
Advanced Member

2576 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Blue Sky was an importer that was bringing back Garands lent to Korea. The Blue Sky stamp is the import stamp. They had to stop the practice due to the legality of the practice. I believe it had something to do with importing and selling equipment lent to other countries.

I don't believe they have any value due to the import stamp other than as a shsooter.

NRA Life Member

Edited by - rsnyder55 on 07/11/2008 12:33:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12281 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  06:16:17 AM  Show Profile
Your question is sort of like asking, "I have a 4 door sedan in pretty good shape. What's it worth?"

While the odds are that Joe's probably right, there's no way for us to know what your friend has. You didn't even tell us who made the rifle. While most M1 rifles are common, there are some rare variations that will not have their collector value completely eliminated by the Blue Sky stamp.

As to "shooter" value, "pretty good" doesn't tell us the bore condition. Neither does the story about the target. At the least, use a "poor man's" muzzle wear gauge (a single round of USGI M2 ball inserted point first into the muzzle) to determine if the barrel is shot out.

Neal

EDIT: The reason Blue Sky import have a bad name is because they came from Korea, & the Korean Army used & abused them. Many would be declared "unserviceable" by the US military. Some are even unsafe to fire. It's a crap shoot, with the odds against you.

Edited by - nmyers on 07/11/2008 5:17:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Slash0311

1582 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  09:16:30 AM  Show Profile
rsnyder55: thank you for your answer. It was most helpful.

nmyers: I'm sorry, I didn't mention that it was made by Springfield. I'm not trying to get an exact figure of it's worth. Just trying to determine if $250 would be too much or if $500 would be more in line with current market. I know there are a lot of factors that can change the value. Thank you also.

givette: The first part of your response it why I don't post on here much at all any more. I saw the card, and have full trust of the person that saw him shoot it. I have seen this guy shoot and he is an amazing shot. If you chose not to believe it, so be it! I only mentioned it as and idea of the condition of the bore, not to be questioned. It's only because of your "edit" that I'm even being this civil.

Semper Fi!
Go to Top of Page

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

7754 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  09:32:45 AM  Show Profile
any good, fuctional military m-1 is worth $400/500 as a shooter. many of the 'blue sky' imports had bad barrels, but there are exceptions and this is apparently one of them. Correct parts may add to the value.

Go to Top of Page

ammo guy

714 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:57:31 AM  Show Profile
These guns in good condition with good bores will bring in the $450-500.00 range. There are too many CMP guns out there for it to be worth more than this.
Go to Top of Page

MBK
I drive a GM Volt....

1979 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:28:44 PM  Show Profile
Ask the good shooting fella to come out again and shoot a five shot group. The 2 in the Ace could have been a fluke.

If it really shoots that well, then I'd think it has pretty good value.
Go to Top of Page

chumchum

1079 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Why is the Blue Sky stamp such a big deal in the value? Other than the stamp on the barrel is their really anyway to tell it was an import. How many of these guns do you think where imported and guys put another barrel on to resell for top dollar claiming it's not an import. I bought one years ago and the stamp on the barrel was really really light. At that time I had a guy look at the gun who rebuilt garands and had a very successful business doing it. He told me that he could take care of that stamp and no one would ever know? So what I'm trying to say, if you are not an expert on Garands. I see no problem with the Blue Sky stamp if the gun shoots good. Why pay top dollar for one that may have been imported and someone removed the markings.
Go to Top of Page

beachmaster73
Advanced Member

4240 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  1:28:47 PM  Show Profile
For between $175 and $250 you can replace the barrel with a correct or at least non blue sky barrel. That will increase its value at least a little bit. That siad the rifle may have a few desirable parts that you can replace with common parts and at least make some of the purchase price back. Obviously it is not a collector rifle but it might just make a very good JCG match rifle...and if you can find someone to shoot it for you at a JCG match and score in the 280's then it might have some very small premium over a normal blue sky import. Sight unseen I'd say it does have a value of $475-$525. The problem you have is all of the CMP Rack and Field grades that had decent TE's and MW's that are now flooding the M1 resale market...Most of them are SELLING between $600-$650 even if their owners are asking $1000. I'd say just buy the rifle and shoot it, enjoy it and don't be worried about its blue sky barrel. Beach
Go to Top of Page

CS8161
Advanced Member

USA
13975 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  1:51:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by beachmaster73

For between $175 and $250 you can replace the barrel with a correct or at least non blue sky barrel. That will increase its value at least a little bit. That siad the rifle may have a few desirable parts that you can replace with common parts and at least make some of the purchase price back. Obviously it is not a collector rifle but it might just make a very good JCG match rifle...and if you can find someone to shoot it for you at a JCG match and score in the 280's then it might have some very small premium over a normal blue sky import. Sight unseen I'd say it does have a value of $475-$525. The problem you have is all of the CMP Rack and Field grades that had decent TE's and MW's that are now flooding the M1 resale market...Most of them are SELLING between $600-$650 even if their owners are asking $1000. I'd say just buy the rifle and shoot it, enjoy it and don't be worried about its blue sky barrel. Beach
[/red]
Bingo!

CS8161
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!

My Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=144598

Edited by - CS8161 on 07/11/2008 1:51:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

thunderbolt
Advanced Member

3985 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile
I seem to recall a story about Blue Sky damaging some imported .30 carbines by stamping the barrels hard enough to dent them.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page