GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 S&W 4516-1 vs. 4516-2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

idsman75
Advanced Member

USA
14810 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  08:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a S&W semi-auto expert. However, I do like their compact .45 ACP pistols. I've owned 2 457's over the years and I'm in the middle of trying to purchase a 4516. I've been hunting around and I've even placed a bid for a 4516-1.

Does anyone know the difference between a 4516-1 and a 4516-2? Like I said, I probably know less about S&W semi-autos than any other semi-auto on the market. I may just buy one of each.

MBK

1973 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  08:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is some reading that I use for S&W Models:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg01-e.htm

But I see what you are trying to figure is what is the -1 or -2, and that isn't in the handy web reference.... I would call Smith & Wesson. My guess is a design modification.

Edited by - MBK on 08/06/2008 09:07:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15428 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  10:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only thing noted in the S & W Book, re changes between -1 and -2. Is date of production. The 4516-2 was made from 1994 to 1999. The -1 was made prior to this date.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense, to my way of thinking. If S & W went to the trouble of changing the engineering identifier, something must have been changed.

If your buying one of each, you best be getting a copy of Supica & Nahas book on the S & W. It's up to the 3rd edition now, and considered the bible by S & W collectors.

Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12277 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  1:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the 3rd edition, & the description of the engineering changes to the 4516 is even more enigmatic than that in rufe-snow's edition. But, I think that the authors are trying to say that the -2 doesn't have the same slide & frame rounding as the earlier versions.

I can't imagine there is much of a difference in any of the engineering changes. But, if you want to get down to that level of specialization, get the (no -) model, as that is more collectible than either of the later changes.

Neal

Go to Top of Page

Txs
Advanced Member

15647 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  2:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to any minor design changes, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that more parts are MIM'ed on the later versions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page