GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
GunBroker.com Message Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

 All Forums
 GunBroker.com Message Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Winchester Model 94, 55, & 64 Survey update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2010 :  4:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bentbarrel

Bert:

Serial Number 1077243, Model 94, 32ws
Good condition

Any idea without pictures as to what I should ask for a selling price.
Never reblued or altered.



I need more information... Is it a SRC, an Eastern Carbine, or a Sporting Rifle?

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!



Edited by - Bert H. on 12/02/2010 2:31:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikey888f
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  03:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bert: my new(!) 1894:
serial number= 1,354,690
barrel says 42
32 ws
checkered steel
blank tang
no sight tapping
not sure where pcmr would be
proof steel
no ring
milled barrel band
i'm curious about the 42 barrel as it should be 46,eh? mike
Go to Top of Page

mikey888f
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  12:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bert: here is some additional info about #1,354,690. looking at your pics of the barrel undersides, mine is different in that the 32ws is printed upside down and the 42 is printed at right angles to all the barrel year numbers in your pics. 42 is not parallel to the printing on top of the barrel as your pics are, it is turned 90* to the right. hope this makes sense. mike
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  2:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mike,

Production of the Model 94 was halted in late August of 1942 at serial number 1343183. A very limited few were manufactured in November of 1944 (13 total) and June of 1945 (3 total), and then regular production was resumed in September of 1945 (at serial number 1342000).

When production was halted in late 1942, I am willing to bet that there were a large number of barrels still on hand, and that when production was resumed in late 1945, "42" marked barrels were used.

Based on these month ending numbers (from the Polishing Room records);

28-Sep 1945 - 1343510
30-Oct 1945 - 1345463
29-Nov 1945 - 1348730
29-Dec 1945 - 1352066

I am willing to bet that your Carbine was manufactured in January of 1946, and as such, it very likely could have a 1942 marked barrel on it. As for the date number being turned 90 degrees, that is a bit odd, but nothing to be concerned about.

Edit: Checking my records, serial number 1368130 (also a 32 WS) has a "42" barrel date. That confirms my suspicion that your Carbine is correct with a "42" marked barrel.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!



Edited by - Bert H. on 12/02/2010 2:50:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikey888f
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  4:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bert: thanks, i'm still waiting for my 2nd 94, 1,349,8xx to see what barrel it has! thanks again...mike
Go to Top of Page

singleshotfanatic
New Member

85 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  1:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bert My 94 is serial#2076017 is taped for a rear sight and has a round barrel band.
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  2:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by singleshotfanatic

Bert My 94 is serial#2076017 is taped for a rear sight and has a round barrel band.



Which cartridge is it chambered for?


GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

sschrad
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  11:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bert,

Serial No# 2002682

Win 94

30-30-WIN

Checkered steel buttplate

Blank tang

D&T

Milled band

NO Martial or PCMR marks

Winchester proof steel barrel

NO Saddle ring

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  3:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sschrad

Bert,

Serial No# 2002682

Win 94

30-30-WIN

Checkered steel buttplate

Blank tang

D&T

Milled band

NO Martial or PCMR marks

Winchester proof steel barrel

NO Saddle ring

Steve



Hello Steve,

Thank you for your participation in the survey.

Your Model 94 is a standard Sporting Carbine, manufactured in 1953.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

brute
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  7:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bert H.

Hello all.

I am attempting to research all of the pre WW II production through post WW II era production Model 94s, Model 55s, and Model 64s that I can locate. For those of you who are interested and would like to participate in a survey concerning several different production changes made to the Models 94, 55, and 64, please either post your information here, or send it directly to me at Win1885@msn.com.

Edit: I have come to the realization that I need to ask all of the following questions...

1. The complete serial number (please, no partial serial numbers).
2. The exact caliber stamp marking (see the pictures below for examples).
3. The specific type of butt plate, e.g. Carbine, serrated steel shotgun style, flat checkered steel, hard rubber, or the checkered steel plate with the widows peak and diamond surrounding the lower screw hole (see the pictures below).
4. The type (style) of the upper tang marking, e.g. type 5, 6, or 7, or if it is blank (see the pictures below).
5. Is the receiver factory drilled & tapped for a peep sight?
6. U.S. martial or PCMR marked guns?
7. Nickel Steel or Proof Steel marked barrel?
8. Does it have a saddle ring?
9. If in the 1,200,000 - 1,270,000 serial range, is the bottom of the receiver marked with a "W"?
10. If in the 1,260,000 - 1,310,000 serial range, does the leading "1" digit look like an "L"?
11. If in the 1,370,000 - 1,560,000 serial range, does it have a flat-band or a milled front barrel band?
12. If in the 1,700,000 - 1,770,000 serial range, does it have the long or the short forend stock?
13. If a Model 55, is it a Take Down or Solid frame?
14. If a Model 64, is it standard Rifle, a Deer Rifle (deluxe), a standard Carbine, or a deluxe Carbine?

More specifically, I am trying to determine the approximate serial number transition point for...

(1) "30 W.C.F." versus "30-30 WIN" marked barrels,




(2) "32 W.S." versus "32 WIN. SPL."




(3) The transition point from the traditional curved steel carbine butt plate, to the steel shotgun style with the horizontal cut lines (serrated), and again the later transition to the flat checkered steel plates.

Carbine butt plate used only on the Model 94...


Serrated steel butt plate used on both the Model 94 and 55...


Checkered steel butt plate used only on the Model 94...


Checkered steel with widows peak butt plate used almost exclusively on the Model 64... (this type of butt plate was first introduced for the Model 1887 and 1897 shotguns)


(4) Upper Tang roll stamp types.

Type 5


Type 6


Type 7


(5) Those guns that were factory drilled & tapped for a receiver mounted peep sight (Lyman or Redfield).



(6) The transition from the milled front barrel band to the flat-band

Milled Band...




Flat-Band...



(7) The exact Serial range for the "W" stamped guns...



(8) The exact Serial range for the "L" stamped guns...




And finally, I am attempting to determine the precise serial number transition points for the Models 55 and 64.

If you own (or know of) a Model 94, 55, or 64 in the 1,000,000 - 2,700,000 serial range, please take a close look at it, and then either post, or send the information directly to me. Your name and information will remain anonymous if you email the information to me. I will post updated results in this Sticky topic as the survey progresses.

Thanks in advance to all who respond & participate.

Bert H.

Go to Top of Page

brute
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  7:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brute

quote:
Originally posted by Bert H.

Hello all.

I am attempting to research all of the pre WW II production through post WW II era production Model 94s, Model 55s, and Model 64s that I can locate. For those of you who are interested and would like to participate in a survey concerning several different production changes made to the Models 94, 55, and 64, please either post your information here, or send it directly to me at Win1885@msn.com.

Edit: I have come to the realization that I need to ask all of the following questions...

1. The complete serial number (please, no partial serial numbers).
2. The exact caliber stamp marking (see the pictures below for examples).
3. The specific type of butt plate, e.g. Carbine, serrated steel shotgun style, flat checkered steel, hard rubber, or the checkered steel plate with the widows peak and diamond surrounding the lower screw hole (see the pictures below).
4. The type (style) of the upper tang marking, e.g. type 5, 6, or 7, or if it is blank (see the pictures below).
5. Is the receiver factory drilled & tapped for a peep sight?
6. U.S. martial or PCMR marked guns?
7. Nickel Steel or Proof Steel marked barrel?
8. Does it have a saddle ring?
9. If in the 1,200,000 - 1,270,000 serial range, is the bottom of the receiver marked with a "W"?
10. If in the 1,260,000 - 1,310,000 serial range, does the leading "1" digit look like an "L"?
11. If in the 1,370,000 - 1,560,000 serial range, does it have a flat-band or a milled front barrel band?
12. If in the 1,700,000 - 1,770,000 serial range, does it have the long or the short forend stock?
13. If a Model 55, is it a Take Down or Solid frame?
14. If a Model 64, is it standard Rifle, a Deer Rifle (deluxe), a standard Carbine, or a deluxe Carbine?

More specifically, I am trying to determine the approximate serial number transition point for...

(1) "30 W.C.F." versus "30-30 WIN" marked barrels,




(2) "32 W.S." versus "32 WIN. SPL."




(3) The transition point from the traditional curved steel carbine butt plate, to the steel shotgun style with the horizontal cut lines (serrated), and again the later transition to the flat checkered steel plates.

Carbine butt plate used only on the Model 94...


Serrated steel butt plate used on both the Model 94 and 55...


Checkered steel butt plate used only on the Model 94...


Checkered steel with widows peak butt plate used almost exclusively on the Model 64... (this type of butt plate was first introduced for the Model 1887 and 1897 shotguns)


(4) Upper Tang roll stamp types.

Type 5


Type 6


Type 7


(5) Those guns that were factory drilled & tapped for a receiver mounted peep sight (Lyman or Redfield).



(6) The transition from the milled front barrel band to the flat-band

Milled Band...




Flat-Band...



(7) The exact Serial range for the "W" stamped guns...



(8) The exact Serial range for the "L" stamped guns...




And finally, I am attempting to determine the precise serial number transition points for the Models 55 and 64.

If you own (or know of) a Model 94, 55, or 64 in the 1,000,000 - 2,700,000 serial range, please take a close look at it, and then either post, or send the information directly to me. Your name and information will remain anonymous if you email the information to me. I will post updated results in this Sticky topic as the survey progresses.

Thanks in advance to all who respond & participate.

Bert H.



Go to Top of Page

brute
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  7:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bert I have a model 64 #2061750 30-30 win,checkered steel butt plate window peak, blank top strap, drilled and tapped with a redfield peep sight and original ramp sight, front hood, 24 inch barrel, org. leather sling and swivel. Bluing is perfect, bore is perfect, stock is excellent. It's a deluxe deer rifle. I don't know about nickel or proof steel marks.
Go to Top of Page

MPinkston
Member

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  3:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bert,

I recently acquired my first Model 94 and here is its stats:

S/N 1817230 (1951)
-Model 94-30-30-WIN.-
Flat checkered steel butt
Upper tang is blank
not drilled
miller front barrel band
No letter under S/N

However, on the bottom just in front of the trigger is the stamp CB.
Any idea what that is?

Thanks

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  10:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brute

Hi Bert I have a model 64 #2061750 30-30 win,checkered steel butt plate window peak, blank top strap, drilled and tapped with a redfield peep sight and original ramp sight, front hood, 24 inch barrel, org. leather sling and swivel. Bluing is perfect, bore is perfect, stock is excellent. It's a deluxe deer rifle. I don't know about nickel or proof steel marks.



Thank you for posting the information

The date on the barrel should be "54", and it is marked "WINCHESTER PROOF STEEL" on the left side of the barrel near the rear sight.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  10:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MPinkston

Bert,

I recently acquired my first Model 94 and here is its stats:

S/N 1817230 (1951)
-Model 94-30-30-WIN.-
Flat checkered steel butt
Upper tang is blank
not drilled
miller front barrel band
No letter under S/N

However, on the bottom just in front of the trigger is the stamp CB.
Any idea what that is?

Thanks



Hello Mark,

Thank you for posting

The serial number indicates that it will have a "51" marked barrel. The "CB" is an inpsection stamp.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

mikey888f
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  7:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bert: info on my second 94:
1. 1,349,880 (can you give me a day, month if you have it?)
2. 30wcf
3. serated steel shotgun (are these straight top-bottom?
4. no tang mark
5. no pcmr
6. no peep drill
7. proof steel
8. no sr
9. 42 barrel!!30wcf mike
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  8:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikey888f

bert: info on my second 94:
1. 1,349,880 (can you give me a day, month if you have it?)
2. 30wcf
3. serated steel shotgun (are these straight top-bottom?
4. no tang mark
5. no pcmr
6. no peep drill
7. proof steel
8. no sr
9. 42 barrel!!30wcf mike



December 10th, 1945.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

mikey888f
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  01:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bert: 1,205,178 is what month and year? looking to buy...mike
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  10:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikey888f

bert: 1,205,178 is what month and year? looking to buy...mike



March 1939.

What caliber is it? Does it have a "W" stamped on the bottom of the receiver?

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!



Edited by - Bert H. on 12/17/2010 10:06:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

mikey888f
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  3:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bert: haven't had it in mu hands yet. mike
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  10:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikey888f

bert: haven't had it in mu hands yet. mike



OK, please let me know when you have it in hand.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

waveblaster
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  9:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bert, Since you are researching the 94's, I have a question that you might be able to answer for me. I can't find in my blue books, any pre 64 1894 in nickel with gold accents. Yet, I have one. I was told that it is a 1963. Any idea if there was a "special run" made in that year, with those attributes by Winchester? I will email the SN in the next few days.
Thank you!

John

Westminster Arms

Your FRIEND in the Firearms Business
"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it."
- Daniel Webster
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2010 :  11:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waveblaster

Bert, Since you are researching the 94's, I have a question that you might be able to answer for me. I can't find in my blue books, any pre 64 1894 in nickel with gold accents. Yet, I have one. I was told that it is a 1963. Any idea if there was a "special run" made in that year, with those attributes by Winchester? I will email the SN in the next few days.
Thank you!

John



Hello John,

I am not aware of any that were made in that configuration, but I would like to reserve judgement until I can see some pictures of the gun.


GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

Buster1895
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  3:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1.sn 1449805
2.30 W.C.F
3.Checkered steel
4.Blank
5.No
6.No
7.Proof Steel
8.No ring
9.*
10.*
11.Flat band
12.*
13.*
14.*
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  8:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buster1895

1.sn 1449805
2.30 W.C.F
3.Checkered steel
4.Blank
5.No
6.No
7.Proof Steel
8.No ring
9.*
10.*
11.Flat band
12.*
13.*
14.*



Thank you very much for the information on your Model 94 Flat-band Carbine. The serial number indicates that it is a 1947 vintage gun. The description makes it standard in all respects. It is now the 422nd Flat-band in my survey.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

Buster1895
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2010 :  3:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another, nothing special plain ol' standard 94.

1.sn 2022242
2.30-30 Win
3.Checkered steel
4.Blank
5.Yes
6.No
7.Proof Steel
8.No ring
9.*
10.*
11.*
12.*
13.*
14.*

Edited by - Buster1895 on 12/28/2010 3:45:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

JackP
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  10:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bert: If you still need info, here is some more: I have a model 94 in 32 Win. Spec. It was advertised as "made in 1943", but I know that can't be true, can it? Madis' little book would indicate it might be though? Here is the info:

1.s/n = 1324550
2. - 32 w.s. -
3. Serrated steel butt plate
4. Type 7 upper tang marking
5. Not drilled or tapped
6. No martial markings
7. No barrel steel markings
8. No saddle ring
It has a milled barrel band.
There are no "W" or "L" stamped under the s/n on the receiver bottom.
I assume it is a standard rifle. It has a ~ 19 1/4 inch barrel.
By the way it is in excellent condition (I would say 98-99% blue and wood)
Hope this helps.
JP
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  11:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buster1895

Here's another, nothing special plain ol' standard 94.

1.sn 2022242
2.30-30 Win
3.Checkered steel
4.Blank
5.Yes
6.No
7.Proof Steel
8.No ring
9.*
10.*
11.*
12.*
13.*
14.*




Completely standard 1953 vintage Carbine.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  11:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JackP

Hi Bert: If you still need info, here is some more: I have a model 94 in 32 Win. Spec. It was advertised as "made in 1943", but I know that can't be true, can it? Madis' little book would indicate it might be though? Here is the info:

1.s/n = 1324550
2. - 32 w.s. -
3. Serrated steel butt plate
4. Type 7 upper tang marking
5. Not drilled or tapped
6. No martial markings
7. No barrel steel markings
8. No saddle ring
It has a milled barrel band.
There are no "W" or "L" stamped under the s/n on the receiver bottom.
I assume it is a standard rifle. It has a ~ 19 1/4 inch barrel.
By the way it is in excellent condition (I would say 98-99% blue and wood)
Hope this helps.
JP



Hello Jack,

Thank you for posting the information on your Model 94 Carbine.

Serial number 1324550 is listed as being serialized on 3/17/1942. From your description, it is a standard Sporting Carbine (though the actual barrel length is 20-inches, as you did not measure the part of the barrel that is screwed into the receiver frame)). If you would like a value estimate, please post some pictures of the gun.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

Buster1895
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  1:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now an old one.

1.sn 14692
2.38-55
3.Crescent
4.Model 1894. -Winchester- Pat.Aug.21.1894.
5.No
6.No
7.None
8.No ring
9.*
10.*
11.*
12.*
13.*
14.*
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  2:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buster1895

And now an old one.

1.sn 14692
2.38-55
3.Crescent
4.Model 1894. -Winchester- Pat.Aug.21.1894.
5.No
6.No
7.None
8.No ring
9.*
10.*
11.*
12.*
13.*
14.*




I am not surveying the early (old) Model 1894s, as all of the original factory records exist for them (through serial number 353,999). That said, serial number 14692 went through the Polishing Room in early January, 1896. The Cody Firearms Musuem can provide the exact date, and a factory letter for it.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

Buster1895
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  4:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bert H.

quote:
Originally posted by Buster1895

And now an old one.

1.sn 14692
2.38-55
3.Crescent
4.Model 1894. -Winchester- Pat.Aug.21.1894.
5.No
6.No
7.None
8.No ring
9.*
10.*
11.*
12.*
13.*
14.*




I am not surveying the early (old) Model 1894s, as all of the original factory records exist for them (through serial number 353,999). That said, serial number 14692 went through the Polishing Room in early January, 1896. The Cody Firearms Musuem can provide the exact date, and a factory letter for it.



OOOPS sorry
Go to Top of Page

Buster1895
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2010 :  12:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Model 64

1.sn 1910590
2.30-30 Win
3.Checkered steel with widows peak butt plate.
4.Blank
5.yes
6.No
7.Proof Steel
8.No ring
9.*
10.*
11.*
12.*
13.*
14.Standard rifle.


Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2010 :  1:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buster1895

Model 64

1.sn 1910590
2.30-30 Win
3.Checkered steel with widows peak butt plate.
4.Blank
5.yes
6.No
7.Proof Steel
8.No ring
9.*
10.*
11.*
12.*
13.*
14.Standard rifle.



Thank you very much for the information on this Model 64

The serial number indicates that it is a 1952 vintage rifle.


GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

bbuell
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  10:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont have the right camera for taking the close ups. I'll have to find someone that does.

Serial number 1718836
The letters FM are stamped in front of the trigger
It has the checkered steel butt plate
The caliber is 25-35 Win
It has the milled bands
I believe it has the short fore end stock
No saddle ring
What looks to be a P over a W inside a circle, stamped on the top at the start of the barrel and the end of the receiver
There is nothing stamped in the location shown below with the W and the L
There are no holes drilled on the top at all.
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  01:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbuell

I dont have the right camera for taking the close ups. I'll have to find someone that does.

Serial number 1718836
The letters FM are stamped in front of the trigger
It has the checkered steel butt plate
The caliber is 25-35 Win
It has the milled bands
I believe it has the short fore end stock
No saddle ring
What looks to be a P over a W inside a circle, stamped on the top at the start of the barrel and the end of the receiver
There is nothing stamped in the location shown below with the W and the L
There are no holes drilled on the top at all.



Thank you for participating in the survey. Of the (4020) serial numbers I have surveyed, only (97) of them are 25-35s. Your Carbine is a 1950 vintage Model 94, and it is normal in all respects, except it should have the long forend stock verus the short. The pictures will tell the story.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!



Edited by - Bert H. on 01/06/2011 1:43:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

waveblaster
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  01:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bert,
Sorry that I didn't reply sooner with the SN on that Nickel '94 W/ gold accents. Here it is: 2568062
Any help on who it was made for, I can't find a Nickel 1894 with gold accents IE: Front sight hood, trigger, rear sight, barrel bands, hammer, in any of my Blue Books. I greatly appreciate your help, all of you. Oh yeah, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Westminster Arms

Your FRIEND in the Firearms Business
"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it."
- Daniel Webster
Go to Top of Page

bbuell
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  08:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stock is as long as the ones in the pictures. But not knowing what a short versus long looks like, its probably the long stock.
Its a beautiful weapon. Thanks so much for the input back. Would you comment on approximate value?

quote:
Originally posted by Bert H.

quote:
Originally posted by bbuell

I dont have the right camera for taking the close ups. I'll have to find someone that does.

Serial number 1718836
The letters FM are stamped in front of the trigger
It has the checkered steel butt plate
The caliber is 25-35 Win
It has the milled bands
I believe it has the short fore end stock
No saddle ring
What looks to be a P over a W inside a circle, stamped on the top at the start of the barrel and the end of the receiver
There is nothing stamped in the location shown below with the W and the L
There are no holes drilled on the top at all.



Thank you for participating in the survey. Of the (4020) serial numbers I have surveyed, only (97) of them are 25-35s. Your Carbine is a 1950 vintage Model 94, and it is normal in all respects, except it should have the long forend stock verus the short. The pictures will tell the story.


Edited by - Bert H. on 01/06/2011 1:44:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  1:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbuell

The stock is as long as the ones in the pictures. But not knowing what a short versus long looks like, its probably the long stock.
Its a beautiful weapon. Thanks so much for the input back. Would you comment on approximate value?

quote:
Originally posted by Bert H.

quote:
Originally posted by bbuell

I dont have the right camera for taking the close ups. I'll have to find someone that does.

Serial number 1718836
The letters FM are stamped in front of the trigger
It has the checkered steel butt plate
The caliber is 25-35 Win
It has the milled bands
I believe it has the short fore end stock
No saddle ring
What looks to be a P over a W inside a circle, stamped on the top at the start of the barrel and the end of the receiver
There is nothing stamped in the location shown below with the W and the L
There are no holes drilled on the top at all.



Thank you for participating in the survey. Of the (4020) serial numbers I have surveyed, only (97) of them are 25-35s. Your Carbine is a 1950 vintage Model 94, and it is normal in all respects, except it should have the long forend stock verus the short. The pictures will tell the story.





The value is determined by the graded condition, and I will need to see some pictures of the gun to evaluate and assess it. That said, there is a substantial premium for the 25-35 WIN caliber. I suspect that it is worth at least $1800, possibly several hundred more.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  1:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waveblaster

Bert,
Sorry that I didn't reply sooner with the SN on that Nickel '94 W/ gold accents. Here it is: 2568062
Any help on who it was made for, I can't find a Nickel 1894 with gold accents IE: Front sight hood, trigger, rear sight, barrel bands, hammer, in any of my Blue Books. I greatly appreciate your help, all of you. Oh yeah, HAPPY NEW YEAR!



OK, that makes it a very late 1962 or very early 1963 production gun. I very much suspect that the nickel and gold accents were added after the fact. As such, there is no way to determine the "who" or "why". If you are able, please post (or send me) some pictures of the gun.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

waveblaster
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  3:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bert H.

quote:
Originally posted by waveblaster

Bert,
Sorry that I didn't reply sooner with the SN on that Nickel '94 W/ gold accents. Here it is: 2568062
Any help on who it was made for, I can't find a Nickel 1894 with gold accents IE: Front sight hood, trigger, rear sight, barrel bands, hammer, in any of my Blue Books. I greatly appreciate your help, all of you. Oh yeah, HAPPY NEW YEAR!



OK, that makes it a very late 1962 or very early 1963 production gun. I very much suspect that the nickel and gold accents were added after the fact. As such, there is no way to determine the "who" or "why". If you are able, please post (or send me) some pictures of the gun.



Bert, I will try to send pictures. My gunsmith and I both have gone over the stamps/ writing on the barrel, and receiver, but it has not been nickeled after the fact. The numbers and letters are CRISP, with no "pooling" in the bottom of the stamps. No rounding in the inside corners of the lettering, that you would see if the finish was aftermarket. I don't think I can get a good enough picture for you to see what I mean, so I hope that my description was vivid!
Thank you for your help with my research. Do you know of a Winchester only forum?

Sincerely,

Westminster Arms

Your FRIEND in the Firearms Business
"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it."
- Daniel Webster
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  5:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waveblaster
Do you know of a Winchester only forum?

Sincerely,



Check you email... I sent you a PM.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

brewton51
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  02:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Model 94
Serial# 1235767
30 W.C.F.
Serrated steel shotgun type buttplate
Type 7 tang
Not drilled and tapped
No martial markings
Proof Steel barrel
No saddle ring
W is on the receiver bottom, below the ser#
Milled band, long wood, checkered hammer.

How close can you date this rifle? I'm thinking early WWII. Thanks.

Retired Florida Deputy Sheriff and Dept. Armorer
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  12:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brewton51

Model 94
Serial# 1235767
30 W.C.F.
Serrated steel shotgun type buttplate
Type 7 tang
Not drilled and tapped
No martial markings
Proof Steel barrel
No saddle ring
W is on the receiver bottom, below the ser#
Milled band, long wood, checkered hammer.

How close can you date this rifle? I'm thinking early WWII. Thanks.



July 18th, 1940. Everything on your Carbine is standard.

Thank you for posting the information on your Model 94


GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

Douglas1911
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  7:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
test
Go to Top of Page

Douglas1911
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  7:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ror the '94 survey:

1. 1,203,418
2. 30 W.C.F Type 7 in Renneberg book, page 139
3. Serrated
4. Tang Type 6
5. No
6. What?
7. Proof Steel
8. No ring
9. In range, but no W stamp. (there is one listed now with W)
10- 14 N/A

Sold my '69 GTO today. Very sad.
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  12:03:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas1911

Ror the '94 survey:

1. 1,203,418
2. 30 W.C.F Type 7 in Renneberg book, page 139
3. Serrated
4. Tang Type 6
5. No
6. What?
7. Proof Steel
8. No ring
9. In range, but no W stamp. (there is one listed now with W)
10- 14 N/A

Sold my '69 GTO today. Very sad.



Your Model 94 was manufactured in late February of 1939. It is standard in all respects.

Hopefully you bought an old MOPAR to replace that old Pontiac.


GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

lonewolf1
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  9:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I HAVE A 94 THAT MISSED THE CODY LIST BY 30000#S, IN 32 W.S. WITH CARBINE BUTT PLATE IN PRETTY GOOD CONDITION, IVE JUST RECIEVED IT FROM MY DAD WHOS 90 AND HES HAD IT ALL MY LIFE ANYWAY BUT IT WAS DOM IN 1907 ACTION IS STILL VERY GOOD NOT LOOSE AT ALL, WAS JUST WONDERING HOW TO TELL IF IT WAS U.S. ISSUED OR NOT
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.
Moderator

USA
11329 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  10:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lonewolf1

I HAVE A 94 THAT MISSED THE CODY LIST BY 30000#S, IN 32 W.S. WITH CARBINE BUTT PLATE IN PRETTY GOOD CONDITION, IVE JUST RECIEVED IT FROM MY DAD WHOS 90 AND HES HAD IT ALL MY LIFE ANYWAY BUT IT WAS DOM IN 1907 ACTION IS STILL VERY GOOD NOT LOOSE AT ALL, WAS JUST WONDERING HOW TO TELL IF IT WAS U.S. ISSUED OR NOT



It was not U.S. issued. The first time that Winchester purchased any Winchester Model 1894s was during WW I (circa serial numbers 835,000 - 855,000).


GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles


Bert H. - http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single-Shot!


Go to Top of Page

lonewolf1
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  3:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1-382558
2-32 w.s.
3-carbine
4-#5 but says model 1894, winchester,trademark
5-no
6- n/a
7-nickel steel
8-no
9-single band on mag. hex barrel
is new store bought 32 w.s. ammo ok for this , is it still a black powder type?
also has 42 60 marked on receiver just ahead of trigger
and has a stamp on top of barrel and rec. of (P-T) with a sideways W between the P-T

Edited by - lonewolf1 on 02/14/2011 4:09:52 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06


Visit GunBroker.com at: www.gunbroker.com
Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the site's User Agreement
Site Map