GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 S&W 1894 Break / top opening revolver 32 cal.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hank-g
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  11:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just acquired this weapon and know very little about it. Haven't been able to find much info on it. Know that it was the first year that S&W incorporated a extractor that pushed the cartridges back / clear, of cylinder, when you broke the gun open. Something else, that I found interesting, is the presence of a grip / heel safety, just as the Colt semi auto uses. This is a very nice little gun, it is also hammerlous and quite small and light in weight. Any info would be appreciated. ......... Hank G.

givette
Advanced Member

11185 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  8:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hank-g

Just acquired this weapon and know very little about it. Haven't been able to find much info on it. Know that it was the first year that S&W incorporated a extractor that pushed the cartridges back / clear, of cylinder, when you broke the gun open. Something else, that I found interesting, is the presence of a grip / heel safety, just as the Colt semi auto uses. This is a very nice little gun, it is also hammerlous and quite small and light in weight. Any info would be appreciated. ......... Hank G.

Yours is called "lemon squeezer" in the vernacular. It's a grip safety to block the action unless the gun is properly grasped to shoot. I don't remember the official S&W model designation, though..sorry.

About the extractor, pics below show my S&W .32 break-open revolver. The SerNo places the date of manufacture at 1883..so the auto extractor was incorporated into S&W revolvers earlier than 1894, although I don't remember the year of inception. Best, Joe

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page