GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 High Standard High Sierra Revolver
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Old Joe
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  02:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The High Sierra revolver I bought looks like it had a fake ejector rod housing on it or a place for one . Can anyone tell me if they did when new ?
Also the barrel has 22 cal. on it and the cylinder is 22 Mag.
Did they have 22 and 22 Mag. cylinders when new ?
Thanks Joe

JohnStimson

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  10:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, The High Sierra did have a fake ejector ousing and rod.

Teh original High Sierra's and proir to the teh ones sold as "THE GUN" begore teh result of the name the gun contest was announced came in wooden presentation cases. Later guns came without the presentation cases. The guns were offered in .22 Cal (short, long or Long rifle0, in .22 WRM and an a combination with two cylinders, .22 cal and .22 WRM. There were fixed sight and adjsutable sight models.

John Stimson, Jr.
www.histandard.info
Go to Top of Page

Old Joe
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  11:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You Your information is appreciated.
I was never a High Standard fan , but when I saw that 7 1/2" tapered octagon barrel I had to have it .

quote:
Originally posted by JohnStimson

Yes, The High Sierra did have a fake ejector ousing and rod.

Teh original High Sierra's and proir to the teh ones sold as "THE GUN" begore teh result of the name the gun contest was announced came in wooden presentation cases. Later guns came without the presentation cases. The guns were offered in .22 Cal (short, long or Long rifle0, in .22 WRM and an a combination with two cylinders, .22 cal and .22 WRM. There were fixed sight and adjsutable sight models.

Joseph Jay Haffner
Go to Top of Page

Fatstrat
Advanced Member

8344 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  11:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High Standard introduced the basic design of this gun during the 1960's popularity of "cowboy guns" brought on by TV/Movies.
But interestingly, when everyone else was making SA Colt Clones, they went the DA route. Savage even made "Colt SA" clone single shot.

I walk away from auto-flush toilets like movie stars walk away from explosions.....
Go to Top of Page

jamesjo

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  10:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,
I purchased a High Sierra convertible model about a year ago.Like you I was not a High Standard fan, but a collector of H&R western style revolvers. I, like you fell in love with the High Standard as soon as I saw it. Mine was made in 1975, has both cylinders, and the original box, in excellent plus condition. even though my first love is still the H&R's, this High Standard is one of my favorite pieces. I too, like the barrel, and the looks of the single action, yet the ease of loadinf of the swing cylinder, truly a very cool piece!
mine is also a great shooter! It seem that the 22 mag cylinder is a little more accurate than the long rifle cylinder. mine is also the adjustable sight model, catalog # 9375. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Regards
Jim

Go to Top of Page

JohnStimson

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  12:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Fatstrat,

The High Standard Western style revolvers were derived from the Sentinel models, the first of which shipped in February 1955. The Sentinel was a double action swing out cylinder 9 shot revolver. The Double Nine was the first model Western style revolver by High Standard and first shipped in May 1958. The Double Nine was basically a restyled Sentinel. Many other model names and variations followed so Sales had a little something for taste

John Stimson, Jr.
www.histandard.info
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page