GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Sccy Firearms are dangerous, Buy the Kel-tec
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajnin
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  2:23:27 PM  Show Profile
I have had some very disturbing dealings with Sccy Firearms that I wanted to share with the GunBroker community. I am a seller here with a 2700+ A+ feedback rating on GunBroker, I have strong business ethics as can be determined by my extensive A+ feedback. I am not writing this with any malicious intent, I am writing this just to share the horrible experiences I have had in my dealings with Sccy Firearms in hopes it will prevent other people from having the same problems with a terrible firearms manufacturer.

This is my opinion about Sccy Firearms based on the problems I have had with their guns and the principals of the company.

I have been a firearms dealer and self-defense firearms instructor for several decades. As a dealer, I have seen many companies come and go, some good some bad. I can tell you, there is nothing good to say about Sccy Firearms.

I have purchased about a dozen Sccy Firearms for resale in my gun shop, just about every single one has been returned me or to Sccy Firearms as defective. Most have had the guide rods break, when I call Sccy to tell them about the recurring problems, they continually blame the shooter for putting the guide rod in wrong. Funny...shooters seem to be able to install the guide rod on every other gun just fine.

Fact is, the rod is made of cheap materials and they break...period! It is not the fault of the consumer, but the fault of the design and quality of materials used in construction of Sccy Firearms.

The problems have not been limited to just broken guide rods. The guns we sold do not feed properly, they are not reliable, and we have had a myriad of problems to the point where my customers do not feel confident carrying Sccy Firearms for defensive purposes. Some of my customers do no even want the guns repaired, they just want to get rid of the guns and buy something that works.

The customer service is non-existent; the people at Sccy are extremely rude and not helpful at all. They have not only been rude to me, but to my customers as well, badmouthing me when my customers call Sccy to complain about guns that don't work. My apologies to the people at Sccy, but I am an ethical gun dealer, I will not tell my customers that a firearm is a good firearm if it is not; I tell it like it is. It is my opinion that Sccy Firearms are junk, at any price. This is based on the number of guns I have sold compared to the number that have been returned to me unfireable.

I will not carry Sccy Firearms in my shop any longer. As a professional firearms tactics instructor for both civilians and law enforcement, I feel that Sccy Firearms are unsafe to use for any shooting purpose.

I find the quality of the product to be sub-par and dangerous, and I find the attitude of the people at Sccy to be even worse. I am not going to get into the details of my dealings with the rude people at Sccy, let's just say their personality and customer service match the quality of the guns they produce.

I will not sell or recommend Sccy Firearms to anyone in the future, and in fact, on the contrary, I recommend shooters spend their hard earned dollars on firearms that work when you need them to, with companies that offer customer service, two things that Sccy Firearms does not offer.

If you are looking for a firearm like the Sccy with the same price point, I recommend the Kel-Tec P-11. We have sold hundreds of the Kel-Tec firearms, both handguns and long arms with no issues ever.

As a firearm dealer, it is my opinion that Sccy Firearms are of very poor quality and are not firearms that I would bet the safety of myself, my family of anyone else’s family on.

Just my opinion as a firearms dealer and self-defense instructor.

"Life is a waiting room, I hope they don't call me soon."

dongizmo
Advanced Member

USA
15303 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  2:32:50 PM  Show Profile
So what was your user name on the auction side?...
Don

I am a man of my word, are you?
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
See me on Facebook
Go to Top of Page

eboydell
Advanced Member

USA
8934 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  2:35:01 PM  Show Profile
God! That was like reading "Gone With The Wind". I have one in my pocket now...I like it. See,a lot shorter and to the point! Oh! By the way, welcome. I'm the resident smart ass.

"The brave have always defined what the rest of us wish to be. But bravery is misunderstood. It is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it."
EARL M. J. BOYDELL, Jr., J.D., (MOS 8541)
To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine: However, Neither is Marine Corps Policy.
Go to Top of Page

quickmajik
Advanced Member

USA
18444 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  2:37:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by eboydell

God! That was like reading "Gone With The Wind". I have one in my pocket now...I like it. See,a lot shorter and to the point! Oh! By the way, welcome. I'm the resident smart ass.

Go to Top of Page

slipgate
Advanced Member

Italy
9162 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  2:42:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! I have 4 of those on order that I am about to cancel!

Do you brew?

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." - General George Patton Jr

[Democrats] are like a drunken vagrant who emerges from the alley to cause havoc every few years. They are the perpetual toothache of American politics. - Ann Coulter

NRA Life Member - The ONLY organization that has ever done ANYTHING to further gun rights.

Edited by - slipgate on 11/19/2008 2:42:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

CS8161
Advanced Member

USA
13990 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  2:44:26 PM  Show Profile
You would think after the first few broken guns, he would have stopped selling them???

CS8161
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!

My Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=144598

Go to Top of Page

HonestBlues

884 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  2:50:44 PM  Show Profile
I guess I have been out of the loop so long I had never heard of SCCY until this thread.Thanks for the heads-up on their lack of quality.

Proud Army father,Marine uncle,and Life Member Army Aviation Museum Foundation.
Go to Top of Page

eboydell
Advanced Member

USA
8934 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  2:53:16 PM  Show Profile
TJ, I am glad that I can count on you to cover my "six". Sometimes I think that I just have too many fans here. Get a grip on yourselves! P.S. Take Nunn. He has learn how to control his adoration for me! Hell! I never heard of SCCY either...don't feel badly.

"The brave have always defined what the rest of us wish to be. But bravery is misunderstood. It is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it."
EARL M. J. BOYDELL, Jr., J.D., (MOS 8541)
To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine: However, Neither is Marine Corps Policy.

Edited by - eboydell on 11/19/2008 2:55:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

quickmajik
Advanced Member

USA
18444 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  2:58:20 PM  Show Profile
Well it just bubbles over so that I dont know what to do with it all.

Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

42066 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  3:29:50 PM  Show Profile
If Kel tec is this guys idea of a well made gun.. Ha ha ha
Go to Top of Page

RugerNiner
Advanced Member

11268 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  3:40:00 PM  Show Profile
This company should never have started a forum for their guns.
Take a look.

http://www.skyyforum.com/viewforum.php?f=17

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.

Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31381 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  3:41:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HonestBlues

I guess I have been out of the loop so long I had never heard of SCCY until this thread.Thanks for the heads-up on their lack of quality.

You are not the only one now I have to see what it is they are talking about.

Grumpy Gunny
Go to Top of Page

ajnin
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  3:52:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
You would think after the first few broken guns, he would have stopped selling them???

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post, sorry it was so long, I tend to be detail oriented.

You make a valid point, we did not have any problems when we placed the orders. We had sold about 6 guns before the first one came back. One gun coming back from a company, especailly a fairly new company, usually will not raise a red flag.

It wasn't until after we had stocked and sold about 6 guns before they started coming back defective. Keep in mind also that we do not buy these one at a time, so we were ordering several into inventory at a time before any came back.

We have had problems with just about every brand we sell, let's face it, guns break. The difference was the AMOUNT of Sccy Firearms we got back and the very poor handling of the situation by the people at Sccy Firearms when I attempted to remedy the problem.

Understand also, my intent is not to convince someone either way about Sccy. I just wanted to post my experience so people an read the good and the bad and evaluate for themselves which is the right gun for them.

Thanks again,
Shoot straight.
ajnin

Edited by - ajnin on 11/19/2008 4:14:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
25533 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  3:54:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RugerNiner

This company should never have started a forum for their guns.
Take a look.

http://www.skyyforum.com/viewforum.php?f=17

That's pretty funny!

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

In the immortal words of another GB member - "...it's not much of an overstatement to say they were inhuman bloodsucking soulless vultures."

Get In...Sit Down...Shut Up...Hang On!!

Come in...Turn around...Gimme' your wallet...Bend over!!! <edited due to obamanomics>

Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

42066 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  4:35:42 PM  Show Profile
Are these any kin to a hi-point?

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=116484478
Go to Top of Page

ajnin
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  5:24:53 PM  Show Profile
No, Hi-Points actually WORK. At least that is my experience with them. Ugly has heck, but those babies work forever.

There is an interesting post (with photos) on the Sccy Message board, from some guy (Dr. Dirt) who put 8 mags through his Sccy 380 and both sides of the slides cracked, after less than 100 rounds...

http://www.sccyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9396

Go to Top of Page

lordmegatron
Starting Member

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  11:26:20 AM  Show Profile
they went under skyy had to change names the vodka co was going to sue so they changed it to sccy, i have heard don't buy a jimenez aka bryco jennings the pin does the same thing, if sccy is a kel-tek rip off or what ever it's my money i don't need someone saying stay away
they said the same about hi-point it don't matter what gun you own something will happen to it

Go to Top of Page

Nwcid
Advanced Member

USA
9219 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  11:43:25 AM  Show Profile
This was posted Posted - 11/19/2008 : 2:23:27 PM and the OP has 3 posts. I am guessing he is long gone.

Just a thought Why would you ask members of a gun forum if you should buy a gun. Kinda like an alcoholic going into a bar to hoping to have someone tell him not to drink.

Anyone who would sacrifice freedom for security deserves neither!!!

Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

What are MG's for?
Because if you are going to cry out, "Say Hello To My Little Fren" and you are holding a bolt action .22, you have no style.

John

Edited by - Nwcid on 02/27/2010 11:43:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

The Ultimate Infidel

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  11:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Or he simply made his point and moved on. The point was valid i will say. Those sccy are exploders and what he said about the factory is right on as well. I might also add in my experience Kel-tec does have about the best customer service I have run across bar none. Also Kel-tec while a lower price point does still make a reliable well functioning firearm.
Go to Top of Page

realspeed
Advanced Member

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  12:11:05 PM  Show Profile
Thats weird I have had prolly 50-60 skyy's in and out of here and Have never had one come back with a problem...
Go to Top of Page

lordmegatron
Starting Member

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  1:27:57 PM  Show Profile
what about jimenez i hear those are nothing but paper weight.. the pin works lose not a reliable gun

Go to Top of Page

DRP-AZ
Advanced Member

USA
3381 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  1:32:05 PM  Show Profile
They have to be one of the most aggressively marketed pistols ever. Not a month goes by where a representative from that co. doesn't call me and start into some script about what a great gun they are.

"Sir, I'm a gunsmith and refinisher, I don't have, nor do I intend to engage in retail."

"Oh, OK".

http://daewoorifleparts.com

In Memorium, Border Patrol Agent (BORTAC) Brian A. Terry, Killed by ATF incompetence and willingness to violate the very Laws they pretend to enforce.

EOS 15 DEC 2010. RIP Partner.

From Katie Pavlich's book "Fast and Furious: Barack Obama's bloodiest scandal and its shameless cover-up." From Katie's book pg. 94 "On May 2, the day before his scheduled tesimony, Holder and Janet Napolitano visited the White House, the two cabinet officials would note in the vistor's log the reason for their visit. On this occasion, they entered the White House together and left together. The White House entry log read, "no description". The logs show Holder and Napolitano were there to meet with President Obama in the East Room."

League of the Vibrator Manufacturers #1

CORAL Fan Club #1
Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24743 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  2:46:07 PM  Show Profile
I wonder about people sometimes??? Why on earth pull this super OLD thread to the top??? What KILLS me is 99% of the time this is done by a "new member" with no history....like someone REALLY wants to make some kind of point, but they don't want to use their name??? Why?

Click here to check out my auctions?..I double dog dare you to!!!

Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

British Indian Ocean Territories
27284 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  3:09:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Locust Fork
Advanced Member

USA
11907 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 : 2:46:07 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
I wonder about people sometimes??? Why on earth pull this super OLD thread to the top??? What KILLS me is 99% of the time this is done by a "new member" with no history....like someone REALLY wants to make some kind of point, but they don't want to use their name??? Why?

+1 They must be Lurkers

Why is that I have never heard of these guns and I still don't know any thing about them. That's probably a good thing.

Kill the Head and the Body Will Follow.
New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator

They made penicillin from moldy bread so there is hope for you.

There is no situation that you can not get yourself out of with the proper amount of explosives.

G19

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=190228">My Stuff for Sale at GunBroker.com

Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
24743 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  3:35:23 PM  Show Profile
What I remember about Skyy is they weren't bad...not "impressive" but not horrible. The only ones I have ever messed around with were the double stack 9mm that were EXACTLY like the older Keltecs except they had an ambi-safety on the back of the slide.

I had heard that there was a guy that actually worked for the Keltec company that went out on his own to make the Skyy. Not long after that Keltec came out with a single stack 9mm...then everyone on the planet started copying Keltec's little 380. The latest "copycat" is Sig....they look pretty cool.

As far as Sccy goes....its like it always has been....you get what you pay for. They are a mid-grade gun, not a Jennings by any means, but NOT a Sig either.

Go to Top of Page

partisan
Advanced Member

6234 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  7:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Never heard of Sccy firearms. Thanks for the heads up, and +1 on Kel-Tec.
Go to Top of Page

lordmegatron
Starting Member

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  8:04:40 PM  Show Profile
i found a site with links to affordable guns and rifles
mousegun.com http://www.mouseguns.com/afford.htm
looky what they said about the jimenez
Jimenez JA 25 Photo Gallery (Dependable, and inexpensive)

Go to Top of Page

hk-91
Advanced Member

USA
9713 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  9:19:39 PM  Show Profile
My dealer ordered acouple and i picked one up from him. Only problems i have heard of it with the older ones the safty would come on after acouple shots. They fixed this problem. I have around 300 rounds through mine with out any problems. My dealer has round 600 through the one he picked up and its still working good.
Go to Top of Page

bambihunter
Advanced Member

USA
9554 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  4:49:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by partisan

Never heard of Sccy firearms. Thanks for the heads up, and +1 on Kel-Tec.

I guess we are now up to +3 on Kel-tec. I rely on one every day while at work for my defense.
Go to Top of Page

00buck

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  5:14:25 PM  Show Profile
KEL TEC are Dangerous. --- The slide came off my Kel Tec while shooting. Kel Tec said they would quickly send me a new pin to hold the slide on. Never shot the gun again. Too long of a trigger pull would make anyone start flinching. Took it back to the shop I bought it from.
But you get what you pay for!!
Go to Top of Page

bambihunter
Advanced Member

USA
9554 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  5:25:57 PM  Show Profile
5,000 rounds of .380 acp through my P3AT. Some (guessing 1,000 rounds) were hotter than Kel-tec recommends. I bought mine when they first modified the .32 into the .380 (internal extractor) and have never had a single FTF, FTE, anything...

I agree with you that you get what you pay for, but hardly any one else makes such a lightweight powerful gun in a FULLY concealable size that works with my mandatory work attire. Your mileage may vary, but I have had great success with mine. If I wasn't 100% sure of it, I wouldn't CCW with it.
Go to Top of Page

rugersr9c
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  12:41:04 PM  Show Profile
Ajin 1st started this thread 16 months ago and from experience and web searches I find that the Sccy people have worked towards resolving the gun problems as well as the customer service.
I have a CPX-1 & its back at Sccy for a fix. The safety and mag eject button need work. I spoke with a fellow named Don who was very helpful and paid for the FedEx return.
Notwithstanding the improved customer service the pistol still has problems even though the outwardly quality looks great. As an engineer I believe the design quality is the issue, which they are addressing. Don told me they have 2 new guns coming. One is nearly a full make-over & the other simply removing the troublesome safety on the CPX-1. Y'all are looking for price competitive American made guns but I strongly suggest they do not release it until ALL the problems and nits are worked out. A 2nd gun with problems could sink the company and no one wants to see another Ameriacn business go under and put more folks out of work. I wish them good luck on this lucky St. Paddy's day, but lets hope they don't need it and produce a winner with their new pistol.

When you have only seconds to act, the police are just minutes away!
Go to Top of Page

cce1302
Advanced Member

USA
8718 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  2:39:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rugersr9c

Ajin 1st started this thread 16 months ago and from experience and web searches I find that the Sccy people have worked towards resolving the gun problems as well as the customer service.
I have a CPX-1 & its back at Sccy for a fix. The safety and mag eject button need work. I spoke with a fellow named Don who was very helpful and paid for the FedEx return.
Notwithstanding the improved customer service the pistol still has problems even though the outwardly quality looks great. As an engineer I believe the design quality is the issue, which they are addressing. Don told me they have 2 new guns coming. One is nearly a full make-over & the other simply removing the troublesome safety on the CPX-1. Y'all are looking for price competitive American made guns but I strongly suggest they do not release it until ALL the problems and nits are worked out. A 2nd gun with problems could sink the company and no one wants to see another Ameriacn business go under and put more folks out of work. I wish them good luck on this lucky St. Paddy's day, but lets hope they don't need it and produce a winner with their new pistol.

again?

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

USA
34827 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  2:41:26 PM  Show Profile
digging up the moldy oldies again???

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." -Jesus

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

G1
Go to Top of Page

rugersr9c
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  2:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Na, just as I said in the 1st post I currently have a pistol in for a fix & Ajnin's post is 16 months old & perhaphs no longer correct. Unless I'm missing what your saying & you're against the "buy American" point of view!

When you have only seconds to act, the police are just minutes away!
Go to Top of Page

COLT

USA
14282 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  2:51:53 PM  Show Profile
...2 years old, Ajnin the poster didnt read the guidelines, Ajnin is long gone as is this post...

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

http://www.blindhogg.com/

"It's a poor damn man that can only spell a word one way!"...Harry S. Truman

"We will never try to placate an aggressor by the false and wicked bargain of trading honor for security"...Dwight D. Eisenhower

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page