GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Rem 700 mag action length vs long action
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

b3d
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  9:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Rem 700 BDL in 7mmSTW. The action screws are about 7 & 3/8 " apart. I need to know the difference when it comes to shopping for stocks. How far apart are the action screws on a long action for example. I figure there is a difference, but I don't have a Rem long action anymore to compare it with only short actions, and that I know is different. I am thinking of getting a nicer synthetic stock for it than the ramline I got a ways back in th elate 90's. I have the nice original wood with a bedding job, and want to keep it from getting banged up. I don't know enough about shopping for a magnum action stock. It's been a while and I am rusty and have forgot alot of stuff, and had been preoccupied with the short actions. This is just a deer hunting rifle that I want to keep the weight down on so I don't need a jazzed up heavy and really expensive tactical stocks. Maybe a stock with the swirled colors, those are cool or I can finish a nice plain syth. stock. The previous owner had this match bbl put on a rem magnum action probably just after Layne Simpson started writing about them. I still have necked down 8mm rem mag brass that came with the gun. I got this prior to remington commercially producing the STW's, and it is a standard STW chamber and it is reasonably accurate to 4-500 yrds. I would like a nice stock but have a couple of guns and to do every one up really nice is too expensive. I have one other, a rem 7 in 7mm08 that has had some special smithing on it, the rest of the rems just have muzzle brakes. Thanks And Mahalo ...b3d

JustC

15001 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  9:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is a long action, nothing different.

applying physics over great expanses,...gotta love the long shots

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

jtmarine0831

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  9:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I'm not mistaken, most manufacturers Magnum calibers are chambered in there long actions. I do that Winchester's Short Magnum actions are almost the same if not the same in length as the short actions. I know for a fact on my Mod 70 Stealth II in 308 that it is stamped Short Action but was built on a Short Mag action. Found that out when I ordered a One piece Warne base for a Mod 70 short action and the hole spacing was different even thought the length was correct, after talking with some of Warnes Machinists they informed me that Winchester had built the Stealth IIs on ShortMag actions even in 308 and 22-250. So just to be on the safe side call Remington and make sure, but I would say it would take a stock for a long action BDL

GOLF 2nd BTN 5th Marines
Go to Top of Page

b3d
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  10:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! ... It does seem that the long action is the same length as a magnum. It is just the bolt face is different.. Like the short action has the 223 bolt face and the 308 bolt face the long has the '06 bolt face and the Mag bolt face..
I poked around on google a bit while I was waiting for answers and that seems to be the consensus..
I will give remington a call too.. I googled them and their parts info and ordering number from their website is 1 800 243-9700.. I have to wait for the early morning here as hawaiian time is 5 hours behind east coast time. and it is already 5:53PM here. mahalo b3d
Go to Top of Page

mrbruce
Advanced Member

USA
3450 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  11:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your rifle will take a LA stock just like justC mentioned.
The only stocks I know of that are marked Magnum are the SAUM's and they won't work for your rifle........

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page