GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 270 wsm sight in
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

7RiverMan7

USA
1282 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  2:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother and I have a disagreement about sighting in. He believes if I sight in 6 inches high at 50 yards I will be dead on at 250. I think it will be about 4 feet high. Can anyone help solve this?

westernMDhunter

Central African Rep
2259 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  2:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're wrong. Sight it in at 250 yards and then shoot it at 50 yards to see if it shoots six inches high.

Edited by - westernMDhunter on 12/04/2008 2:27:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

7RiverMan7

USA
1282 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  2:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply. The reason I was concerned was looking at the ballistics tables, there is only about 10 inches of drop at 300 yards when sighted at 1.1 inches high at 100. I assumed that the trajectory would carry the bullet higher.
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14663 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  2:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wive's tales about how to sight in a rifle are USELESS. You sight the rifle in where you want it to be zero'd, THEN you test it at different distances and you will KNOW what the rise/drop is in the real world, from your rifle, with your load.

applying physics over great expanses,...gotta love the long shots

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

7RiverMan7

USA
1282 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  2:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely understand what you are saying. This is just some after the hunt talk. I wasnt looking for the proper way to sight in a gun, i was looking for the what if answer.
Go to Top of Page

7RiverMan7

USA
1282 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  2:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So... if you only had 50 yards to sight in a 270wsm, how high would you have the bullet hit for a zero at 250 yards. Remember, this is just a what if question, no reason to get your hackles up!
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14663 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  3:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes more sense, it seemed like that was what you were trying to do in reality.

well,.I don't do anything at 50yds besides get on paper. That being said, I would want a chronograph and a balistics software program. Once I have the avg MV, I would then run my drop chart using the bullet manufacturers given Balistic Coefficient, and it would tell me how high/low to set the bullet at 50yds to be on at 250yds. This is assuming all I had is the 50yds to work with.

However, I will drive an hour if I have to, to be able to sight in a rifle properly. I prefer real results. I run mine out to 400, 500, 600+ yds to prove my balistics table or find the minor tweeks that need to be made. But then again, I will take a shot 600+yds, so I had better damn sight know what I am doing, out of respect for the game. I am lucky enough to have farms available that I can run the tests and hunt on, so the 50yd thing would be new for me.

That's my best suggestion for working at 50yds.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

7RiverMan7

USA
1282 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  4:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i feel that moving the sights that much at such a short range will dramatically effect the down range poi. just like shooting in the wind...more wind at the muzzle has more down range push than wind on the bullet at target
Go to Top of Page

fishmasty

USA
1128 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  4:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading this has just confused the pudding out of me.
Site in at 50 and just keep hair in your scope,..

Espirit De Corps
"Spirit of Brotherhood"
Go to Top of Page

guntech59
Advanced Member

Kiribati
15360 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  5:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An estimate from JBM calculations using a Sierra 130gr SPT and 3000fps puts it at 26" high at 300 yards.

Using the same inputs and a 225yd zero it puts you at .5" high at 50yds.

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/traj/traj.html

Input your exact info and see.

Article 2, Section 4, NY Civil Rights Law

§ 4. Right to keep and bear arms. A well regulated militia being
necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to
keep and bear arms cannot be infringed.

If you can judge a wise man from the color of his skin, Mister you're a better man than I.
Go to Top of Page

GuvamintCheese
Advanced Member

29574 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  5:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 7RiverMan7

So... if you only had 50 yards to sight in a 270wsm, how high would you have the bullet hit for a zero at 250 yards. Remember, this is just a what if question, no reason to get your hackles up!

probably about 6"....but if you are off just one click at 50 yards (the diameter of the bullet) you could be off the animal at 250. So if you are going to shoot at 250 it is much better to zero your rifle at 250 than 50. However not everyone has 250 yards to zero, so 100 yards will work...A simple balistics chart will settle the bet between you and your brother, but if your brother is sighting in his .270 at 50yds dont hunt with it..

Edited by - GuvamintCheese on 12/04/2008 5:47:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

7RiverMan7

USA
1282 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  6:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guntech59, thank you this will give me something to play with. You where very helpful!
Go to Top of Page

LesWVa
Advanced Member

6905 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  7:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cant say about the .270 WSM but I have found that if you zero a .270 Win long action at 25 yards. It will be very close to zero at 250.

===================
Did some checking..

Here is what I found for the .270 WSM using Federal Vital Shok with a 130 grain Nosler® Partition® bullet.

Average Range

50 yds = -0.3
100 yds = 0
200 yds = -2.3
300 yds = -9.0

Long Range

50 yds = 0.3
100 yds = 1.1
200 yds = 0
300 yds = -5.6
400 yds = -16.3
500 yds = -33.2

Edited by - LesWVa on 12/04/2008 7:33:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14663 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  8:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 7RiverMan7

i feel that moving the sights that much at such a short range will dramatically effect the down range poi. just like shooting in the wind...more wind at the muzzle has more down range push than wind on the bullet at target

a scope is going to be moved quite a bit on a factory rifle with factory mass produced rings and bases etc. These are NOT exactly benchrest rifles. This is a normal part of sighting in a rifle and most of the time quite a bit of movement of the erector tube will be necessary, unless you use the windage adjustable rear ring/base to not use up the windage in the scope.

The wind effect is due to a reaction to inconsistent forces around the circumference of the bullet. This is due to the bullet heading into the wind during departure, and as it is now canted with respect to the target, the wind drag on the bullet now, is what causes the drift, not exactly the wind itself.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page