GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Pros and Cons AMT 9mm or.380 Back Up
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dairyland man
Starting Member

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  7:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Could the helpful folks on Ask The Experts please tell me the good, the bad and?? about the Arcadia Machine Tool AMT 9mm or .380 Back up guns?? I had one a long time ago,never fired it and sold it.
Now I'd be interested in one to add to my "Gun Stuff"

Thanks in advance,Dairyland man

cbxjeff
Advanced Member

USA
9346 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  7:31:47 PM  Show Profile
I bought a single stack Kel-Tec 9 last year to replace my Kel-Tec .32. I'm not a big guy and (especially in the summer) can't ccw anything very large. Both of the KT's have been very good pieces. If you are a larger guy the double stack (a little fatter but with higher cap) might be a good choice.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13391 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  7:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Early AMT guns had gaulding problems because they used the same alloy for both slide and frame. Other makers have pretty much cured this problem by having different alloys . I don't know if AMT ever did.
Go to Top of Page

P228

2377 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  7:42:31 PM  Show Profile
Years ago I HAD a 380, it would slam fire every time I chambered a round. HAD a 45 ACP one, the trigger fell out. Called AMT about both of them, AMT brushed me off on the 380 and told me to stake the trigger in by myself. Told them to shove it. Would never own another one. Sold both of them one year at a gun buyback and put the money toward another Sig.

Believing in god makes you deaf, dumb, and blind.
Go to Top of Page

jaym

129 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  06:05:03 AM  Show Profile
Unless you really want one for sentimental reasons, I would say stay away. There are some much better options out there now in terms of reliability, ease of use, and weight. My first pistol, bought on advice, was an AMT .45 Backup. It never did what I wanted it to do, and it weighs the same as a full size Glock 17 fully loaded. I still have it, but only because it was my first pistol.
Pros of the AMT: small, easily concealed, maybe the best option at the time it was manufactured
Cons of the AMT: heavy, small ammo capacity, long, heavy trigger pull, no real sights, reliability
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
20080 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  12:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Have fired both and have absolutly no problems with any of the AMT line of firearms.

Keep the moving parts lubed and there is no problem. I use Shooters Choice FP 10.

Asking about a specific gun is like asking about a specific automobile. Some will love 'em and some will hate 'me.

Edited by - us55840 on 12/16/2008 12:10:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

lcdrdanr

386 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  3:20:33 PM  Show Profile
I've had both the AMT 380 backup (the original style with the grip safety) and the current 9mm backup (manufactured in 1998. Never had a reliability issue with either of them but don't/didn't use them extensively either.

The 380 was somewhat more complicated to take down, the 9mm is no problem. Limited capacity with a 6/7 round mag, for carry I much prefer the KelTec P11, P3AT, or P32.

I sold the 380 a couple of years ago, Haven't heard any complaints from the buyer. Still have the 9mm and because its stailnless steel, I use it as a boat gun. I keep the slide heavily greased and it's not picky about ammo (I use reloads, Winchester White, Blazer, etc.) but the sights are pretty much nonexistent. I only paid $100 for it almost NIB along with a couple of boxes of ammo so I'm happy with it, had it cost as much as a KelTec P11 I would have gone with the P11 or P40, either one. Probably even a KelTec P3AT or even a P32 but I just couldn't pass up the price on the Backup.

Hope this helps.

Dan R
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
20080 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  1:55:49 PM  Show Profile
A little more on lubrication of stainless steel:

Pro-Shot Products in Taylorville, IL makes a lubricant that works great on stainless steel to prevent galling.

It's called PRO-GOLD lubricant. I've used it on firearms and works great on fishing reels, etc. It comes in a 1 oz jar for about $5.00 and does a wonderful job...........as it takes very little to lube a slide or reel.
Go to Top of Page

Winston Bode

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  4:14:47 PM  Show Profile

I have had an AMT .380 back-up for several years now. I have carried it in an ankle holster on duty as a back up and it has been muddy, soaking wet and sweated on. It still shoots for me when I need it to.

The trigger pull is heavey and the sighting system could be improved but for a "screw it in the nostril and pull the trigger" type of gun it will do.

I like mine.

Bode

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

rsnyder55
Advanced Member

2576 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  4:32:04 PM  Show Profile
CON: As the company went bankrupt due to QC problems and was acquired by IAI which was then acquired by High Standard, if anything did go wrong you might have problems getting one repaired or parts to have it repaired.

NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
20080 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  6:03:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rsnyder55

CON: As the company went bankrupt due to QC problems and was acquired by IAI which was then acquired by High Standard, if anything did go wrong you might have problems getting one repaired or parts to have it repaired.

Numrich Arms has parts available for the AMT line of firearms.

Like many companies, AMT did go thru a number of ownership and name changes during it's lifetime. AMT, IAI and then Galena when in CA - then moved to Sturgis SD and produced the AMT's under the mfg name of Galena.

Around 2002 or 2003 they went out of business - but today, High Standard owns the name AMT and the rights to produce the AMT line of firearms - which they do and can be viewed on their website at www.highstandard.com

Just FYI.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page