GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
GunBroker.com Message Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

 All Forums
 GunBroker.com Message Forums
 General Discussion
 AR 15 upper receiver ID marks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Bagadonuts
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  10:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find a consolidated list of all the manufactures identification marks used on ar15/m16 upper receivers. Any help pls?
Thanx, Brian

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31660 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  10:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope this helps.

quote:
Here is a list of current forges for uppers:

A (splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum
AF = Alcoa Forge
C AF = Colt Alco Forge
C MB = Colt / Mueller Brass
Cardinal (stylized) = Cardinal Forge
CH = Colt Harvey Aluminum
CK = Colt / Kaiser Aluminum
Circle/Crooshairs w/"AR" = ArmaLite
CM = Colt / Martin Marietta
D (stylized) = Diemaco
DK = Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum
E = Emco
EK = EMCO/Kaiser
E MB = EMCO/Mueller Brass
F keyhole = FNMI / Cerro Forge
FA = FNMI / Anchor Harvey
FK = FNMI / Kaiser Aluminum
FM = FN/Martin Marietta
FMB = FNMI / Mueller Brass
Keyhole = Cerro Forge
L = Lewis Machine & Tool
LK = LAR / Kaiser Aluminum
LM = LAR / Martin Marietta
M (under diamond) = Mueller Industries
PA = Capco / Anchor Harvey
PM = Capco / Martin Marietta

It's far from defnitive, but the forge markings combined with the lack/presence of other features can let someone who knows what they're looking for pin it down with pretty good accuracy...


Grumpy Gunny
Go to Top of Page

Joe Bagadonuts
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  06:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx for the response. This does help partially. The big part of the question that I was looking for is the different symbols that, for example, DPMS, Rock River, Del-ton, Bushmaster, Colt ect... use to identify their receivers. For example, I have an upper assembly with a "square" on it. Another one would be what looks like two mountain peaks. These are just two examples of many that I have seen on uppers and upper assemblies. It would make sense that not all gun manufactures use their own machine shop to make their uppers and lowers. Which begs the question, Who are the good machine shops and who is using them. One good reason for having this type of info is if your shopping an upper assembly. Identifying the upper manufacture and barrel manufacture (which is a whole new question) helps you decide if it is a quality piece. Am I making any sense?

Edited by - Joe Bagadonuts on 12/17/2008 06:33:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

givette
Advanced Member

11185 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  12:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bagadonuts

Thanx for the response. This does help partially. The big part of the question that I was looking for is the different symbols that, for example, DPMS, Rock River, Del-ton, Bushmaster, Colt ect... use to identify their receivers. For example, I have an upper assembly with a "square" on it. Another one would be what looks like two mountain peaks. These are just two examples of many that I have seen on uppers and upper assemblies. It would make sense that not all gun manufactures use their own machine shop to make their uppers and lowers. Which begs the question, Who are the good machine shops and who is using them. One good reason for having this type of info is if your shopping an upper assembly. Identifying the upper manufacture and barrel manufacture (which is a whole new question) helps you decide if it is a quality piece. Am I making any sense?


Item in blue above..my M-16 upper (MILSURP) Has "C H" in the handle. Colt Harvey. Look for the letters. Prior post covered most of the manufacturers of uppers. Joe



Go to Top of Page

cheap clothing1
Starting Member

China
3 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  10:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<A href="http://www.anynfljerseys.com">hip hop nba jerseys</A>
<A href="http://www.anynfljerseys.com">authentic nfl jerseys</A>
<A href="http://www.anynfljerseys.com">cheap mlb jerseys</A>
<A href="http://www.anynfljerseys.com">replica nhl jerseys</A>
<A href="http://www.anynfljerseys.com">nba jersesy fashion</A>
<A href="http://www.anynfljerseys.com">nhl jersesy discount</A>
<A href="http://www.anynfljerseys.com">sport mlb jersesy</A>
<A href="http://www.anynfljerseys.com">wholesale nfl jersesy</A>
<A href="http://www.anynfljerseys.com">urban nhl jersesy</A>

<A href="http://www.cheapclothingchina.com">replica nike shox r3</A>
Go to Top of Page

Seion
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  09:42:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need help to identify my ar-15 upper. Under the rear sight, the letters "L M" are stamped at an angle from eachother, the "L" is higher than the "M." under the front sight is a mark that appears to be an "MP" but the letters are joined together. Finally, between the front sight and the end of the barrel is a "C." I understand the "LM" is Martin Marietta, but the other marks are a question. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve.

Edited by - Seion on 08/28/2010 10:25:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

givette
Advanced Member

11185 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  10:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seion

I need help to identify my ar-15 upper. Under the rear sight, the letters "L M" are stamped at an angle from eachother, the "L" is higher than the "M." under the front sight is a mark that appears to be an "MP" but the letters are joined together. Finally, between the front sight and the end of the barrel is a "C." I understand the "LM" is Martin Marietta, but the other marks are a question. Any help would be appreciated.


C=Colt
MP=Test process. I believe it's 'Magnetic Particle' type testing.

Colt contracted with Martin Marietta (and others) to supply the raw upper receiver castings. I think the castings were final machined in-house at the Colt factory. Joe



Go to Top of Page

Seion
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  8:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe, I've seen that the "C" on the barrel meant chromed on other forums. But, either way I'm glad to find out that my upper is by Colt.

Steve.
Go to Top of Page

shoff14
Advanced Member

9959 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  8:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seion

Thanks Joe, I've seen that the "C" on the barrel meant chromed on other forums. But, either way I'm glad to find out that my upper is by Colt.



You are correct. Colt does not mark their barrels like that. Take a picture or two and post it.
Go to Top of Page

Seion
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  10:03:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some pics, not the clearest, had to use my phone:






Steve.
Go to Top of Page

Seion
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  3:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any other info?

Steve.
Go to Top of Page

givette
Advanced Member

11185 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  5:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The casting, if it was from Martin Marietta would be marked C M if Colt was the intended user.

Colt chromed barrels will say 'Chromed Bore'.

If your barrel were Colt, it would be stamped C MP CHROME BORE all in one line between the front sight and the flash surpressor.

Colt front sight will have a little 'bell' symbol in the casting.

I don't think you have a Colt upper. Best, Joe



Go to Top of Page

dcs shooters
Advanced Member

Turkmenistan
10847 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  7:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My M-16 take off has a C H under the rear sight, and C MP CHROME BORE on top of the barrel in front of the front sight.

According to the chart above yours was forged by Martin Marietta, and mine was by Colt Harvey Aluminum.

Go to www.biggerhammer.net and look up the AR Faqs. You will find all the AR info you want.

Dick
NRA Endowment Member

Don't mess with old guys. they are too old to fight, too fat to run, so their only choice is to kill you.

You can't fix STUPID, but you can vote it OUT !!!!


If Obama is the answer, it is a very stupid question!

OBAMA, HE'S OUR NUMBER ONE GUN SALESMAN !!

quote:
Political Correctness is a doctorine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by a mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11503 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  7:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seion

Here are some pics, not the clearest, had to use my phone:









IIRC they were "Army Spares" contract, i.e. uppers not put on newly assembled M16A1's

That's the same upper I have on my "AR15A1" I built using this style upper and an AR lower w/ all Ar fire control and bolt carrier parts
Go to Top of Page

Seion
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  8:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please forgive my ignorance, but are you saying that LAR is the maker? Who are they?

Steve.

Edited by - Seion on 09/01/2010 8:38:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Seion
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  8:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this:

"L.A.R. stands for names of company founders - Larisch, Augat and Robinson"

Anyone know anything about this manufacturer or what kind of upper I have?

Steve.

Edited by - Seion on 09/01/2010 9:34:32 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06


Visit GunBroker.com at: www.gunbroker.com
Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the site's User Agreement
Site Map