GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Stolen guns check
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hilltopat
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  11:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, does anyone know how you can check a gun seral # to see if it is stolen before you buy it from a private pearson?

Warpig883
Advanced Member

Azores
5859 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  11:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sherrif will do it for free here. Give yours a call and ask.

This is not an outrageous signature.
Go to Top of Page

A J Christ
Advanced Member

Switzerland
5588 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  08:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell the seller that you intend to run the numbers with the cops as soon as you get home.

Inform him/her that if it comes up hot, you intend to tell the cops where you got it, ain't going to try to convince them that you found it or that the tooth fairy left it under your pillow. By judging their reaction to that statement, you should be able to tell if its hot or not.

If its too good of a deal, it probably is hot. $100.00 for a Glock would be an example of something too good.

A good example of a bad example
Go to Top of Page

roysha

636 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  11:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must disagree. $100.00 is too much to pay for a glock unless, of course, you are paying someone to take it.

"What you do ultimately means nothing, and you could be replaced tomorrow by the first passing cretin." Corinne Maier
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
20202 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  2:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have the cops run a firearm serial number to see if the firearm is on the stolen list.......and it is, they will throw you in the clink until you tell them exactly WHERE you got the number from. Seen it happen before.
Go to Top of Page

Warpig883
Advanced Member

Azores
5859 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  2:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by us55840

If you have the cops run a firearm serial number to see if the firearm is on the stolen list.......and it is, they will throw you in the clink until you tell them exactly WHERE you got the number from. Seen it happen before.

You are right about them wanting to know where it is coming from if it is stolen. I would have no problem telling them where it is if it is indeed stolen. I dislike thieves and would like to think if I had one stolen someone would report it.

This is not an outrageous signature.
Go to Top of Page

James76
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  12:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try this site www.hotgunz.com
Go to Top of Page

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
9272 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(801) 229-7070 this is the phone number of my local PD I know they will run a NICS on it for you, done it many times for me.. Just ask who ever answers that you want them to run the serial number of a gun through NICS. take about 2 seconds flat

Coming in Second place, only means your the first loser

"For a gourmet wine is not a drink but a condiment, provided that your host has chosen correctly."
Edouard De Pomaine, French author
Go to Top of Page

MMOMEQ-55
Advanced Member

USA
13863 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  12:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I call the sheriff every time I buy a used gun. I had one 223 NEF I was about to buy come up stolen. The deputy came out to my house while the guy was still there and arrested him. Come to find out he had bought the rifle at a flea market and they let him go. The dumbass at the flea market had given him a receipt and the guy was a regular at the flea market. He hinself probably bought it stolen not knowing himself.

The day you are born you are dying. Make every day count! -Johnny B.

"Love says I sacrifice myself for the good of the other person.
Abortion says I sacrifice the other person for the good of
myself..." -unknown

In essence many modern day, legally-sanctioned abortion clinics serve the same purpose as Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Dachhau and Hitler's other slaughterhouses, which exterminated an unwanted segment of the population. - Charlie Daniels
Go to Top of Page

The Ultimate Infidel

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  12:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Florida has a Free stolen gun data base that is accessible by anyone.

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a
Go to Top of Page

James76
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  12:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laundry-pro

Florida has a Free stolen gun data base that is accessible by anyone.

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

I am assuming this is only for stolen guns reported in FL, right?
I ran my serial and nothing came up
Go to Top of Page

The Ultimate Infidel

USA
2051 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  12:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That site is "supposed to be" for all firearms entered into NCIC correctly. My dad had a Airweight 642 stolen in SC and it was entered wrong. I reviewed the report and noticed the serial missing a number on 1 of 3 pages. When I had the officer run that guns actual serial it did not come up. I called his CO and asked that the guns serial be entered accuratly , and now it comes up on NCIC as well as the Florida data base.
Go to Top of Page

James76
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  1:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to get on the phone I guess... I am amazed that if this is in fact the case they managed to screw up both serial numbers. I know they said they were entered into NCIC. Who knows if they haven't been ran and cleared already
Go to Top of Page

etc12819

198 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  2:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try this site:

https://www.stolenweapon.com/Stolen-Gun-index.html?register=1

Go to Top of Page

competentone
Advanced Member

USA
4647 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  3:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

I call the sheriff every time I buy a used gun. I had one 223 NEF I was about to buy come up stolen. The deputy came out to my house while the guy was still there and arrested him. Come to find out he had bought the rifle at a flea market and they let him go. The dumbass at the flea market had given him a receipt and the guy was a regular at the flea market. He hinself probably bought it stolen not knowing himself.

It sounds like your Sheriff's office is looking for a lawsuit.

Unless the individual with a stolen firearm is uncooperative, or has some record indicating he has been arrested before on suspicion of possessing stolen property, I fail to see the justification to arrest an individual simply because he/she happened to have possession of a firearm previously reported stolen.

The most likely situation, when police find someone with no criminal record in possession of a stolen firearm, is that that person has been a victim -- possibly in a longer chain of victims -- of fraud.

The fraud is when the original person who knows the firearm stolen (or strongly suspects that is the case) attempts to sell it as "his" firearm.

Later victims in the fraud shouldn't be hassled by the police -- and shouldn't be arrested unless there is some evidence indicating they know the firearm is stolen.

If a person is willing to properly identify himself and give a signed receipt when selling a firearm, it is a pretty good indication such a person is not trying to sell a stolen firearm (at least not knowingly).

"Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness." -- H.G. Wells (The Time Machine)
Go to Top of Page

James76
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  4:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by etc12819

try this site:

https://www.stolenweapon.com/Stolen-Gun-index.html?register=1

I asked around about that one a week ago...
general consensus was that most people are not willing to register to a site just to search. I kinda agree, since it will mostly just be people listing weapons that were stolen but nobody checking if one they have is stolen. I like the www.hotgunz.com one and the http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us one but the Florida one is entirely dependant on police to enter the serial number in right, which apparently they do not do that well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page