GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Horrible Gun Prices at Pawn Shops
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pittspilot
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  8:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy crap, I went to a couple of pawn shops on the way home from work today to see if they had any decent pistols for sale. I hadn't been in a pawn shop for 10+ years prior to today, and was blown away by the prices. They had a case full of USED Springfield XDs for >$500! Some had to be at MSRP, yet they were all used.

They had a clapped out Taurus .357 wheel gun for $450. I left the stores after a few minutes in each.

Does anyone actually pay those prices? Surely they didn't loan more than $100-150 for each gun.

mogley98
Advanced Member

USA
5573 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  8:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worst part is a lot of them won't even dicker

Capitalism died the day they took public money.

Go to Top of Page

William81
Advanced Member

USA
20992 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  8:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave up on the Pawn shop in my neck of the woods many years ago.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberials

Go to Top of Page

v35
Advanced Member

USA
12570 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  9:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can afford to feed the Pitts, those prices shouldn't faze you.
Go to Top of Page

The artist formerly known as Dano
Starting Member

South Sandwich Islands
1 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  9:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not only guns, but most everything else as well.

Well used junk selling for the price of new junk.

The "ONLY" bad thing about owning "A GUN" is........not owning two or more!

When the dust settles and the smoke has cleared, it's not the firearm in hand that determines accuracy, but rather, the hand on the firearm.

If you don't take CONTROL of the situation, the situation will take CONTROL of you!
Go to Top of Page

pittspilot
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  9:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sold the Pitts once the kids came along. Great time to buy again, but just not quite ready to jump in to airplane #5.

You're right about the cost of the Pitts though. Doesn't mean I will buy a turd in a pawn shop that some poor sap sold to make his rent payment. Maybe you Bonanza guys can ignore price tags. It would sure make buying parts less stressful, huh?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16149 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  9:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw one that had a used M-4 marked at $2100! It was nothing fancy, just a plain M-4.

All I could do was laugh!

2nd A.C.R. Operation Desert Shield/Storm 1990-1991
U.S. Army Truck Drivers:
We may not be the Army's pride, but without us Truckers the pride don't ride!

Two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel.
One is the colors that fly high and proud
The red the white the blue
The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made
Donít Tread on Me is what it says and Iíll take that to my grave

My idea of Heaven is chasing White Tail Bucks!

Go to Top of Page

Rosie
Advanced Member

USA
12247 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  10:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a rifle at a pawn shop not long ago. When they told me they required my SSN I walked out without it.
Go to Top of Page

dcon12
Advanced Member

Georgia
26801 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  10:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosie

I bought a rifle at a pawn shop not long ago. When they told me they required my SSN I walked out without it.

Why would you leave your SS number? Don
Go to Top of Page

Rosie
Advanced Member

USA
12247 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  10:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew you would say that.

SMART ASS!!
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
19098 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  11:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not hard to deal with pawn shops.

Forget about what they pay for something, that's not your concern.

Take real green money when you go into one.

Open your mouth. If all you do is read tags, you will never be able to afford anything. Make a reasonable offer.

If you make an offer, have the green money on your person to back up your mouth. "Be Backs" get about as much respect as a atypical stepfather.

These tips work for me.

"and yes, I do believe a snake talked to Eve"
I wonder if he had a lisp?

"so what? they found another fossil that doesn't prove anyting to me or anyone else who believes in creation" --Superstitious, the GB Forum Clown

"Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings"

Some Christian faith websites:

http://www.geocentricity.com/
http://www.satansrapture.com

Edited by - p3skyking on 01/03/2009 12:01:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31524 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  12:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not had nuch luck lately. Go in check the Prices then check those prices to see how they are.

Know at least one shop I have really tried to buy something. I have most of my Auction Purchases sent to them. Would like to do business with them besides that. But have not found anything I would buy at the prices they are asking.

Grumpy Gunny
Go to Top of Page

drsck

958 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  01:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ONLY situation where I've ever found anything at a pawn shop was when there were a bunch of pawn shops close together. It seems like when they're all bunched together the have to be a little more realistic to compete with one another. Unfortunately, there aren't too many places where you'll find a bunch of pawn shops together. There are some, however. My best experience has been near military bases. When I used to do the gun show circuit, I'd always make time to hit the pawn shops. For example, there were several near Tinker, AFB outside Oklahoma City, Ft. Benning outside of Columbus wasn't too far to make the trip over from Atlanta, and I always did pretty good at Ft. Bragg. Never found anything at Ft Knox and never really new why since there were lots of pawn shops there. Had pretty good luck in Norfolk, Va. but the best were the shops near the old Brooklyn Navy Yard. I made the trip with my dad as a kid and even as late as 1976, I stopped on the way to a show somewhere and found some great stuff. But that's been quite some time ago. A couple of years back I set up a meeting with a fellow who was closing down a chain of pawn shops that had been in his family for over fifty years. I thought he'd have some great stuff. When I got there he was all excited that I was interested in his stuff. Well, it was all junk. There were about 120 pieces, can't even call them all guns, some were only parts and most would not function. Within five minutes I'd seen enough and politely declined to make an offer. He kept pushing and wouldn't let me leave so I finally offered $2000 for everything which was generous. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. It was like I'd insulted his wife and kids. He practically threw me out. Well, it turned out other dealers had been there and none had offered near I much as I did. A couple of weeks later he called and asked if my offer was still good. He had sold "a few pieces" and wanted to know if I wanted the rest. I didn't waste time declining. Don't know what ever happened to his junk, but it would have only been good for a gun buy-back program somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Fatstrat
Advanced Member

8273 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  01:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you ever want to see a turd turn to gold before your very eyes, pawn it or sell it to a gunshow vendor. Nothing new here.
It's like anything else. He has a right to ask what he wants. You have a right to walk if too high. No need getting high blood pressure from it. You're the winner and he's the loser. You still have your money and he's not making a dime.

I walk away from auto-flush toilets like movie stars walk away from explosions.....
Go to Top of Page

leeblackman
Advanced Member

5534 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  05:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pawn Shops Owners, Tow Truck Driver, and Bail Bond "Bounty" Hunters.... I swear they all seem to have some kinda stigma about them. Kinda like just on the edge of being crooks, but with complete legality.
Go to Top of Page

COLT

USA
14284 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  08:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...More the rule than the exception...nature of their business to pay/loan as little as possible and sell above retail if possible, HTH you think they make their money, along w/loan interest.

...Used to be Pawn Shop not too far that I stumbled into for the first time years ago...to be honest, never been in one before that.

...Got to know the manager, and I started going in at least once, usually twice a week. Manager knew I knew the price of guns, he knew the price of his guns he wanted to sell and I had cash, marriage made in heaven

...I started making it a point to check out Pawn Shops there after, I found EXACTLY what you speak of...junk at higher than retail new...and 9 times out of 10, a smart azz behind the counter.

I got some EXCEPTIONAL deals on a LOT of guns, cases, slings, hunting, nice knives, fishing, camping items from him, we were both happy. A year or so of buyer/seller heaven and then he told me he was relocating to another State

...The guy(s) that took over the shop fell into the "9 of 10" category, junk higher than retail new and azz wipes, barely spoke english. After several attempts at buying, and getting nowhere THEN being told "the price marked, is the price you pay", uh, no, WRONG...I never went back in and won't.

...Yes there is a "Pawn Shop mentality" that creeps in if that person works in that enviroment for a lot of years, hard NOT to get "that" mindset; bordering and sometimes crossing over the line of honesty & ethics.
The manager I spoke of is apparantly rare, as I have not met another that actually wanted to sell his stuff at a profit he was happy with and the buyer left happy too.

...Not P3 but another one on here follows that mindset, several people here have witnessed it in action,...sold a gun with box, box got handed out with another gun so, tha Pawn Shop person tried everyway in the world to NOT make it fair for the SOL buyer w/a partial refund (depending on the gun, a box could be worth/add $50-$100 to the price of the gun), "how about a yard gnome instead of the box?"...several other similar incidents too, "always the buyers, or someone else's fault" NEVER wanting to own up, because it might cost them a buck.

..If I'm not mistaken, another person here recently bought another gun from this person, included a box but yep, you guessed it, saw the "seller" saying "sorry about the box", again...some think nothing of this type of behavior.

...I'd go into P3's shop, may not see much the same, but I bet he's honest and we could probably do business easily enough and we'd both end up with what we want...

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

http://www.blindhogg.com/

"It's a poor damn man that can only spell a word one way!"...Harry S. Truman

"We will never try to placate an aggressor by the false and wicked bargain of trading honor for security"...Dwight D. Eisenhower

Go to Top of Page

scottm21166
Advanced Member

Cuba
18337 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  08:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by p3skyking

It's not hard to deal with pawn shops.

Forget about what they pay for something, that's not your concern.

Take real green money when you go into one.

Open your mouth. If all you do is read tags, you will never be able to afford anything. Make a reasonable offer.

If you make an offer, have the green money on your person to back up your mouth. "Be Backs" get about as much respect as a atypical stepfather.

These tips work for me.

ding ding ding

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms" should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency check out my auctions http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=514176 If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen! JOHN ADAMS
An honest but mistaken man, once shown the truth, either ceases to be mistaken or ceases to be honest." ó Proverb

Go to Top of Page

dcon12
Advanced Member

Georgia
26801 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  08:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by COLT

...More the rule than the exception...nature of their business to pay/loan as little as possible and sell above retail if possible, HTH you think they make their money, along w/loan interest.

...Used to be Pawn Shop not too far that I stumbled into for the first time years ago...to be honest, never been in one before that.

...Got to know the manager, and I started going in at least once, usually twice a week. Manager knew I knew the price of guns, he knew the price of his guns he wanted to sell and I had cash, marriage made in heaven

...I started making it a point to check out Pawn Shops there after, I found EXACTLY what you speak of...junk at higher than retail new...and 9 times out of 10, a smart azz behind the counter.

I got some EXCEPTIONAL deals on a LOT of guns, cases, slings, hunting, nice knives, fishing, camping items from him, we were both happy. A year or so of buyer/seller heaven and then he told me he was relocating to another State

...The guy(s) that took over the shop fell into the "9 of 10" category, junk higher than retail new and azz wipes, barely spoke english. After several attempts at buying, and getting nowhere THEN being told "the price marked, is the price you pay", uh, no, WRONG...I never went back in and won't.

...Yes there is a "Pawn Shop mentality" that creeps in if that person works in that enviroment for a lot of years, hard NOT to get "that" mindset; bordering and sometimes crossing over the line of honesty & ethics.
The manager I spoke of is apparantly rare, as I have not met another that actually wanted to sell his stuff at a profit he was happy with and the buyer left happy too.

...Not P3 but another one on here follows that mindset, several people here have witnessed it in action,...sold a gun with box, box got handed out with another gun so, tha Pawn Shop person tried everyway in the world to NOT make it fair for the SOL buyer w/a partial refund (depending on the gun, a box could be worth/add $50-$100 to the price of the gun), "how about a yard gnome instead of the box?"...several other similar incidents too, "always the buyers, or someone else's fault" NEVER wanting to own up, because it might cost them a buck.

..If I'm not mistaken, another person here recently bought another gun from this person, included a box but yep, you guessed it, saw the "seller" saying "sorry about the box", again...some think nothing of this type of behavior.

...I'd go into P3's shop, may not see much the same, but I bet he's honest and we could probably do business easily enough and we'd both end up with what we want...

We seem to read the same post. Don
Go to Top of Page

scottm21166
Advanced Member

Cuba
18337 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  08:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say though...alot of pawn shops have discovered the internet. They list their guns and get the highest price paid on any given day. So the chance of getting a real steal is not as great as it once was.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms" should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency check out my auctions http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=514176 If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen! JOHN ADAMS
An honest but mistaken man, once shown the truth, either ceases to be mistaken or ceases to be honest." ó Proverb

Go to Top of Page

Horse Plains Drifter
Advanced Member

USA
24451 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  08:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ones I been in in the last two years don't want to sell anything.

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad

U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
CA#8......3%

Gadsdens by Werwolf
Go to Top of Page

pittspilot
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  11:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P3SkyKing,
I know how to haggle, that's not the point. Their starting prices weren't even close to reasonable, and half of their "inventory" looked like pure crapola. What they loaned on it DOES matter, because they can still make a nice profit without trying to get MSRP for a used piece.

I was the only one in the pawn shop that day with a starched dress shirt and a clean shave, so if they dipstuff behind the counter doesn't know how to identify someone with cash and actually try to SELL something, he just gets to watch me walk out with all my money.

Pawn shops serve a purpose, but they sure prey on the military and the poor. My office is across the street from a pawn shop, and every Friday I see a parade of people taking their junk in, and another group getting their junk back. I wonder what an XD or Glock in great condition would bring at the pawn shop. I bet less than $150.

Do pawn shop regulations require them to have a filthy store, or is that just one more feature they offer to shoppers?
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
31524 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  12:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One from the pawn shop I use.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=119611110

Grumpy Gunny
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
19098 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  3:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pittspilot

P3SkyKing,
I know how to haggle, that's not the point. Their starting prices weren't even close to reasonable, and half of their "inventory" looked like pure crapola. What they loaned on it DOES matter, because they can still make a nice profit without trying to get MSRP for a used piece.

I was the only one in the pawn shop that day with a starched dress shirt and a clean shave, so if they dipstuff behind the counter doesn't know how to identify someone with cash and actually try to SELL something, he just gets to watch me walk out with all my money.

Pawn shops serve a purpose, but they sure prey on the military and the poor. My office is across the street from a pawn shop, and every Friday I see a parade of people taking their junk in, and another group getting their junk back. I wonder what an XD or Glock in great condition would bring at the pawn shop. I bet less than $150.

Do pawn shop regulations require them to have a filthy store, or is that just one more feature they offer to shoppers?

I cannot speak for the shops level of expertise or experience anymore than I can yours. Not all shops are savvy on guns anymore than the customers are savvy.
You are incorrect about their price or profit margin mattering to you. Do you concern yourself with a farmers cost when he sells vegetables to you?
So what if they get them dirt cheap? You want it? Pay their price for it or find someone else to deal with. I do. I make fair offers all the time in other pawn shops (Without telling them I own one). Sometimes they accept, sometimes they don't. They are free to run their business how they see fit and I am free to go somewhere else.

Perhaps in your starched shirt, you appeared to be a stuffed shirt, I haven't a clue why your ass wasn't kissed. Other than a hello when someone first comes in, I always wait on whomever was first. In this part of the country, clothing is no indicator of wealth. One of my good ole boys usually totes about a grand around in the dip pocket of his bib overalls.

Best thing I can tell you is to find a shop that you feel comfortable in and visit regularly. Why would a shop discount anything to a one hit wonder when the regular customers deserve it?

You usually get out of something what you put into it. Consider putting something in.

"and yes, I do believe a snake talked to Eve"
I wonder if he had a lisp?

"so what? they found another fossil that doesn't prove anyting to me or anyone else who believes in creation" --Superstitious, the GB Forum Clown

"Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings"

Some Christian faith websites:

http://www.geocentricity.com/
http://www.satansrapture.com

Go to Top of Page

Txs
Advanced Member

15887 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  4:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pittspilot

Pawn shops serve a purpose, but they sure prey on the military and the poor. My office is across the street from a pawn shop, and every Friday I see a parade of people taking their junk in, and another group getting their junk back.
There's your answer.

People tend to lose sight of the fact that a pawn shop's bread and butter is loaning money at outrageous interest rates, not buying and selling anything.

Despite you seeing a rack of guns when you walk in, it's not a gun shop. It's a poor man's bank that happens to move some guns.

They're making the vast majority of their money off all the stuff that's just sitting back there in the pawn room and will never make it's way out front. A busy shop can afford to sit on items that come out of pawn until the right buyer walks in.
Go to Top of Page

godalejr

USA
1222 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  6:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i gave up on pawn stores years ago better off buying new.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page