GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 can I drill and tap my muzzleloader for a scope
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dantheman

180 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  11:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a thompson center 50 cal. muzzleloader that I've had for a couple of years and I enjoy shooting it. I would like to be able to put a scope on it. It has open sights, and honestly when shooting at targets at 50 yds the front sight pretty much covers the entire target, so its hard to really become confident much past that. I know it is capable of taking game out to 100 yds, but my eyes and open sights just aren't cutting it any more. I talked to the guys at Thompson Center and they said there is not comercially availabe mounting kits for this gun, so can I take it to a gunsmith to have him drill for a scope mount. I know it says in the manual not to, but are they just saying that so I'll trade it up for an inline?

prism133

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  12:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A REALLY GOOD GUNSMITH MAYBE ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT WITH THAT
YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT HE HAS ALOT OF EXPERIENCE IN MACHINING
HARDENED STEEL BECAUSE ONE TINY MISCALCULATION I'LL TURN YOUR .50 CAL INTO A VERY EXPENSIVE HALF INCH CLUB

GOOD LUCK

Go to Top of Page

ATF
Advanced Member

USA
9261 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  12:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your manual says not to,I think you'll find that it will void your lifetime warranty ? Call Thompson again and ask.Do you have their toll free number?

ATF

Go to Top of Page

jonk
Advanced Member

9740 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  01:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought. I wonder if you could have a slab of steel welded to the barrel, blued, and drill and tap into that? It wouldn't be the best looker, but it would probably do the job.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
Go to Top of Page

Ronald J. Snow

USA
1351 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  07:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What model of TC muzzleloader do you have? I have a TC base adapter #9920 for the Hawken, Penn. Hunter and White Mountain Carbine; however, I do not have the rings.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page