GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Standard Arms Co Rifle Identification
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RyanR
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  8:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

While researching a rifle I inherited from my great grandfather many years ago I came across this forum. I am having a hard time finding much information about it and am hoping you can help! Below are some pictures. I doubt is has a high monetary value but I would really like to know the model if possible.

On the top of the barrel it says: CAL 30 M.F.SMITH'S PAT'S. PATENTED MAR.6. APR.10.APR.24.1906.OTHER PATENTS PENDING. MAN'F'D. BY STANDARD ARMS CO. WILMINGTON, DELAWARE, U.S.A

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15441 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  8:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Little known and very interesting rifle. Made for a very short period of time during the early years of the 20th Century. I don't know about yours but many of the them had the capability of being converted from a pump to a semi-auto, at will by the user. They were chambered for the same cartridges used in the Remington semi-autos, made during the same era. Yours would be chambered for the .30 Remington cartridge, which is essentially a 30-30 Winchester without a rim.

Edited by - rufe-snow on 01/10/2009 8:41:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

badsbsnf81

783 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  8:59:40 PM  Show Profile
The company was only in busines from @ 1909-1911.

The Cold War wasn't that cold.
Go to Top of Page

brier-49
Advanced Member

USA
5111 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  9:12:20 PM  Show Profile
That button in the foreend is what is used to change from pump to semi, if memory serves me. I just missed buying one this past summer.

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!
Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Go to Top of Page

Knifecollector
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  10:31:02 PM  Show Profile
My book shows $750 excellent - $600 very good- $350 good.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15441 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  11:25:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RyanR

Hello all,

While researching a rifle I inherited from my great grandfather many years ago I came across this forum. I am having a hard time finding much information about it and am hoping you can help! Below are some pictures. I doubt is has a high monetary value but I would really like to know the model if possible.

On the top of the barrel it says: CAL 30 M.F.SMITH'S PAT'S. PATENTED MAR.6. APR.10.APR.24.1906.OTHER PATENTS PENDING. MAN'F'D. BY STANDARD ARMS CO. WILMINGTON, DELAWARE, U.S.A

My references note that it is most likely the Model G, and was the first gas actuated commercial rifle offered for sale in the U.S.

Go to Top of Page

RyanR
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  01:04:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info everybody!

The rifle is actually in really good shape overall. I had no idea it was so old until I started investigating today. My great grandfather was a big game hunter. This is one of what once was a large collection. I am glad to have a piece of my family's history that has some overall historical significance as well. :)

Cheers, Ryan
Go to Top of Page

fire15vp
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  5:11:53 PM  Show Profile
You have a 30 Calibre Model G Standard arms rifle made sometime between 1909 and 1911. They were very advanced for the time period. At the muzzleend should be a square stud, by turning it you can change the gun from semi auto to pump. A special wrench that looks like a bullet with a knurled gripping area at the neck. I have seen the wrench sell in the $250 range. The slide and butt plate were japaned originally, a glossy black finish that wore off rapidly. The photos you have are not the best but it appears you have a lot of japan finish. The powder quality was the biggest ememy of this gun, the tolerances were very tight which caused the gun to jam. The 30 is the most common. The 35 remington was the beat operational cartridge. Less than 3500 guns were produced, although serial numbers as high as 9200 exsist. I am maintaining a list of these guns. I would appreciate knowing the serial number of this one. If your gun is in the condition I believe it to be $750 would be a starting price.
Go to Top of Page

hapyjak
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  3:19:59 PM  Show Profile
I have the same gun in the .35 cal. serial number 6998
Go to Top of Page

Debbie Adkins
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  5:28:29 PM  Show Profile
I have the .30 cal. #6105
Go to Top of Page

dandemo
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  10:49:14 AM  Show Profile
I have the .30 cal. #491
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page