GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 ATF visit if you buy too much guns or ammo?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TenMuses
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  8:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to buy a few guns and a supply of ammunition before the laws change to prevent me. If I buy 4-5 guns and a few thousand rounds of ammunition can I expect a visit from the ATF? (I'm a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record)

chappsyny
Advanced Member

USA
3539 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  8:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that were the case then everyone the forum would be getting quarterly visits (at least) from our overseers.

Go to Top of Page

ruger41
Advanced Member

USA
9607 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  8:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as you buy them legally there should be no problem. Of course if a goofy law changes that says 2000 rounds of ammo and 4 firearms is considered an arsenal then you are screwed--but it hasn't gotten there just yet. Of course it also depends on what state you live in because some of them you have to jump through hoops just to buy 1 gun.

Go to Top of Page

COLT

USA
14282 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  8:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...No...just buy within the BS laws crammed down our throats and you'll be good to go...4-5 guns, I guess thats just your initial buy to start off with?...just a few thousand rounds huh, planning on one day of shooting is all?...

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

http://www.blindhogg.com/

"It's a poor damn man that can only spell a word one way!"...Harry S. Truman

"We will never try to placate an aggressor by the false and wicked bargain of trading honor for security"...Dwight D. Eisenhower

Go to Top of Page

MFinn

1993 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  8:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have not come see me, yet

Edited by - MFinn on 01/20/2009 8:35:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

joshmb1982
Advanced Member

USA
5795 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  8:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont know for sure but have heard from several people that some state place a limit on # of rds you can own without a permit???? anyone know if such a law exists? in CT?
Go to Top of Page

MMOMEQ-55
Advanced Member

USA
14053 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  8:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one had knocked on my door yet.

The day you are born you are dying. Make every day count! -Johnny B.

"Love says I sacrifice myself for the good of the other person.
Abortion says I sacrifice the other person for the good of
myself..." -unknown

In essence many modern day, legally-sanctioned abortion clinics serve the same purpose as Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Dachhau and Hitler's other slaughterhouses, which exterminated an unwanted segment of the population. - Charlie Daniels
Go to Top of Page

XLpitman

USA
939 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  8:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chappsyny

If that were the case then everyone the forum would be getting quarterly visits (at least) from our overseers.

I know they'd be knockin on my door.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
-- George Washington
Go to Top of Page

tazzer
Advanced Member

USA
7430 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  8:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so lets say he buys 5 handguns at the same time I know hes with in the law but would it throw a red flag to the ever watching atf you all know how they like to spy on us law-abiding folks

We have room for but one flag, the American flag...
Go to Top of Page

bigtire
Advanced Member

USA
9260 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never gotten a visit from the BATF and I bought 7 guns and several thousand rounds at an auction. Just did the 4473 and the FFL did the phone call. No Problems.

Do some research, get to know the laws. Buy through a reputable FFL dealer and they will definately not let you do anything that would get you in trouble, because they would get into trouble right along with you.

An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.[/size=1]

Go to Top of Page

DBMJR1

USA
1694 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a dealer tell me that purchasing three or more handguns, in the same day might cause a slight delay in my approval. He was right, it took an extra fifteen minutes, at a gun show.

I am in possession of more than four thousand rounds, right now, but I shoot rim fire. That's four trips to the range.

Don
Go to Top of Page

jwb267
Advanced Member

USA
12622 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tazzer

so lets say he buys 5 handguns at the same time I know hes with in the law but would it throw a red flag to the ever watching atf you all know how they like to spy on us law-abiding folks

you now have to fill out a separate form AND contact atf of multiple HANDGUN sales to a single person
Go to Top of Page

Rocklobster
Advanced Member

8634 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"ATF visit if you buy too much guns or ammo?"

If that's the case, then judging by the last three gun shows that I've attended, several thousand people here in Georgia will be having a little visit soon!

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
Go to Top of Page

tazzer
Advanced Member

USA
7430 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwb267

quote:
Originally posted by tazzer

you now have to fill out a separate form AND contact atf of multiple HANDGUN sales to a single person

ahhh so it does toss a red flag to them then if this is true.

We have room for but one flag, the American flag...
Go to Top of Page

sigarmsp226

USA
2445 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just be careful who you tell about your purchases around your home town. You will not have to worry about ATF you will have to worry about robbers.... Do what we do and buy what you want and put it up... DO not brag to much to friends, that type of information could spread to the wrong set of ears and you do not want that.... Buy and enjoy and shoot what you buy......
Go to Top of Page

jwb267
Advanced Member

USA
12622 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  9:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
F5) As a licensed dealer, must I advise ATF if I sell more than one handgun to an individual?

If you sell or dispose of more than one handgun to any non-licensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, not later than the close of the business day on which you sold or disposed of the second handgun. The licensee must forward a copy of the Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon, and another copy must be forwarded to the State police or local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy of the Form 3310.4 also must be attached to the firearms transaction record, ATF Form 4473, documenting the sale or disposition of the second handgun.
Go to Top of Page

TenMuses
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  10:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.4-5 guns, I guess thats just your initial buy to start off with?...just a few thousand rounds huh, planning on one day of shooting is all?...

I guess it's all relative :). I've just never bought that much in a short span before. It looks like I'm probably within the bounds of common behavior though so I guess I'll start shopping. Thanks for the info everyone!
Go to Top of Page

pickenup

USA
22766 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  11:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you expect a visit?
Who knows, he just took office, and has all the tools of "homeland security" at his disposal.

While campaigning on July 2 in Colorado Springs he made this rather shocking (and chilling) pledge: "We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded."

Now what do you think he need a civilian national security for JUST AS powerful, strong, and well funded as our military for??? We may ALL be getting a visit.

TenMuses, you are a little behind the 8 ball on this. Guns have been flying off the shelves every since the election was decided. You choices may be pretty slim. IF you can even find what you want, you might be paying a premium for them now days. (supply and demand, ya know) Buy from a private party, if you live in one of the semi-free states that are still "allowed" to do that. Pay cash for guns and ammo. Pretty hard to visit you, if there is no paper trail.

The gene pool needs chlorine.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13046 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  01:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heck, if you go to the local Walmart and buy a 10/22 and two bricks, now you have a deadly semiautomatic gun and an arsenal of 1000 rounds!

Go to Top of Page

fullautogunner

Seychelles
785 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  05:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They keep tabs no doubt, but visits, not sure. I do know they suck!

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington (Address to 1st session of Congress)

To be governed is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be placed under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonoured. That is government; that is it's justice; that is it's morality. Pierre Proudhon. 1809-1865.
Go to Top of Page

mrseatle
Advanced Member

USA
16779 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  09:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they knock at the door, tell them you gave all your guns to Hairy.

CHL and FFL holders are Traitors...!

Go to Top of Page

eboydell
Advanced Member

USA
8934 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  10:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1994, the gunshop from which I bought guns for years was raided by the ATF for some minor infractions. Anyway, contrary to the law, the ATF compiled a computer lists of all guns purchased, and by whom. I had given up my FFL two years before;nevertheless, the ATF called me, and wished to personally pick up my expired FFL. The agent that came was an older man and was very polite. After talking awhile, he admitted that they only came to see what type of person I was. He finished his coffee, and left,not even taking the expired FFL. So your answer is "yes"...big brother never sleeps!

"The brave have always defined what the rest of us wish to be. But bravery is misunderstood. It is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it."
EARL M. J. BOYDELL, Jr., J.D., (MOS 8541)
To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine: However, Neither is Marine Corps Policy.
Go to Top of Page

Johnnylikesguns
Advanced Member

USA
2928 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  10:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

GUNS??? AMMO???

What is that stuff??

John
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page