GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 AMT 44 Automag
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slidder12

226 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  6:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a chance to get a AMT 44 automag stainless in presentation case for $2000.00 I know nothing about this gun except it looks wicked,I have never heard of a automag if it's any good the up and downs and is this a good price or too high. The seller said he bought it around 1966 fired it a few times then put it away..now that he is retireing and moving wants to sell it any info you can give me would be great

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13840 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  7:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello I had 3 Automags in 3 different calibers . All but one the 44 was handloads only today the factory 44 automag ammo is very costly and mostly a collector item . So now to fire this pistol you need to have a file and trim die then an inside form die Then an inside ream die and then a normal 3 die reloading set.You get a chance to spend on average 15 minutes to load each round from scratch and then 5 minutes each fining your brass because it ejects all over the place. . All of this is the good news Now the bad news This is one of the first investment cast Stainless Pistols the fit and finish SUCKS The Stainless is Soft and Gaulds very easily and it is a very fine line between loads that are too weak to function and those that are too HOT and locks up the action IN my opinion this pistol is more for WOW factor then one that you shoot I bought mine to hunt with but never found a scope mount so I just use a 1911 in 45ACP and limit shots to 50 yards. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY
Go to Top of Page

ogree

137 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  8:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Midway has Starline brass for the .44 AMP, so cutting down .308 or similar brass won't be required.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=7978&categoryString=9315***652***670***9014***
Go to Top of Page

lkannes

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  9:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably not a pistol I would buy to use, They are more of a collector-novelty item.

There is no such thing as too much gun.

Go to Top of Page

rsnyder55
Advanced Member

2585 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  10:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch 'Sudden Impact' with Clint Eastwood.

NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

robert smith

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2009 :  11:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
forget it. for two grand you can buy several good guns that work.
Go to Top of Page

CapnMidnight
Advanced Member

USA
5955 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  02:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been around several, never saw one that functioned consistantly, if at all. If you want wow factor, spend half the money and buy a Desert Eagle in 44mag, you can buy shells anywhere and they work everytime.
W.D.
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
21508 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  11:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slidder12

I have a chance to get a AMT 44 automag stainless in presentation case for $2000.00 I know nothing about this gun except it looks wicked,I have never heard of a automag if it's any good the up and downs and is this a good price or too high. The seller said he bought it around 1966 fired it a few times then put it away..now that he is retireing and moving wants to sell it any info you can give me would be great

Best info source: www.glossover.co.uk/AMT/

And ..... www.automagpistol.com

enjoy.

Edited by - us55840 on 01/26/2009 4:48:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

superlift
Starting Member

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 Pasadena Model 180 44 Auto Mag pistols. One is unfired but the other is my occasional shooter. It has never let me down as yet. I say occasional shooter as parts are very hard to come by if anything should break. For example, a bolt if one can be found would run about $1000.00. Starline has 44 Auto Mag brass and there are a few manufactures out there, Cor-Bon for one that produce ammo for the 44 Auto Mag. It would be better bought as an investment piece than as a shooter in my personal opinion.
Go to Top of Page

COLT

USA
14295 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  2:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...You see where this is leading, and I agree...collector item would fit it "best". WTH did these things sell for when they were new?
...If the average price hasn't gone up a LOT over how many years(?); and this one is not near mint...I'd pass. I want to say I saw one in a gun shop about 2 years ago EX condition w/box/papers for around $1,200.

...I "think" the designer/founders son is/was selling a lot of his Dad's guns here over the laast several months as the guy died?

...Desert Eagle .44 or 50AE is about as "useful", been ther done that. Heavy, and not practical at all, pure novelty...and if you get your finger caught by either while they'er dropping into battery it would probably cut the damn thing off, not just "garand thumb".. but amputation...

...Perry...grab you a DE and put you a 6" barrel on it for hunting, you I'm sure know how flat shooting the 10mm is...

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

http://www.blindhogg.com/

"It's a poor damn man that can only spell a word one way!"...Harry S. Truman

"We will never try to placate an aggressor by the false and wicked bargain of trading honor for security"...Dwight D. Eisenhower

Go to Top of Page

cussedemgun

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  2:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
slidder,

for what it's worth, check out

www.glossover.co.uk/amt/

Best, Jim

NOTE: if you find a mistake in my post, it was put there for a purpose! I try to serve all equally & because some will always try to find fault, I don't want them to feel left out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page