GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Browning A-Bolt BOSS Settings for 30-.06
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

East Bay

67 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  7:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Browning BOSS manual is lacking for a variety of ammo for the 30-.06 in an A-Bolt(II) rifle. The "sweet spot" suggestion for the BOSS is really limited. I just figured out that a BOSS setting of 1.3 for a Remington Core lockt 165 grain PSP bullet seems best in my rifle. Haven't even tried yet for the 150 grain or 180 grain Remington loads. Next experiments will be on the Federal 165 Boattails....

Anyone out there had any experience in building their own "sweet spot" suggestions for the BOSS setting? Thanks for the help!

GPWEAPON

557 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  8:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll share what experience I have with tuners. Though not a Boss they all work on the same concept. A large part of rifle accuracy is due to hamonics. when the round is discharged it produces a wave like a tuning fork. the wave actually can affect the flight of the bullet knocking it slightly off axis. hence the occasional flyer. the sweet spot for any round should be within a certain amount of clicks in either direction say 10 or less. I'd sugest three or five is better shots then 2 clicks. If a factory round won't print from you gun it's probably junk as mentioned in a recent thread. the Federal Premium is suposted to be the "round by which all other rounds are measured" Unfortunatly if you were to cronograph it you'de not be impressed, if I rember it was over 100 fps spread, Easily beat by even a novice handloader. that is the round Springhfield rangfinder scopes are set for 2,700fps. If you do have access to a cronygraph get a load with a 30fps or less and you'll be doing one holer's. Happy Printing!
Go to Top of Page

East Bay

67 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2002 :  01:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, Thanks GPWeapon! I hadn't thought of that.

This is what I have for a .30/06 Browning A Bolt II BOSS "Sweet Spot" settings:
Winchester 200 10.5
Hornady 180 10
Federal 180 5
Federal 175 7.2
Hornady 165 3
Remington 165 1.3
Hornady 150 3
Federal 150 1.5
Remington 150 ???
Winchester 150 ???

Can anyone help on the Remington & Winchester 150gr loads?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page