GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Pieper Arms Company
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bhayes420

990 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2001 :  9:10:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old 12 gauge double barrel shotgun with "Pieper Arms Co. Belgium" imprinted on the barrel. I no nothing about this gun other than it was my great-great grandfathers. Can any one give me any info on Pieper Arms and an estimate of how old the gun might be, or of any clues that I might find stamped on the barrel or receiver that might tell me? Thanks!

AntiqueDr

2105 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2001 :  08:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Henri Pieper started the company in 1859, his son Nicolas took over in 1898. The company continued through WW-1. They are known for their early semiauto pistols.

None of their pistols were ever marked "Pieper Arms Company," so I expect your shotgun is either (1) a cheapie export meant for the US market like SO many million other Belgian shotguns of the period, or (2) an even cheaper knock-off on the Pieper name by some small-time Belgian gunsmith house making cheapie export shotguns for the US market.

Barrel is probably also marked "Stub Twist" or "Laminated Steel" or something along those lines.

You have an interesting decorator piece worth up to $200-$250 depending on "looks." It is NOT a shooter - do not attempt to fire with even mild loads.

------------------
We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!

Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!

Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com

Go to Top of Page

bhayes420

990 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2001 :  08:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for your reply. For me, the gun is important because it was my great-great granddads. It hung over my great-granddads mantle when I was a child, and my granddad gave it to me before he passed on. On one barrel it does say "laminated steel" and on the other "modified diana". What does the "diana" mean? I would never shoot the gun. It is really loose, and is just a looker. After all these years, it does still look nice on a wall. The wood and metal are all still in good shape. So, here it will hang until I can pass it on to my son. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

sillyfilly454
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  10:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by AntiqueDr

Henri Pieper started the company in 1859, his son Nicolas took over in 1898. The company continued through WW-1. They are known for their early semiauto pistols.<P>None of their pistols were ever marked "Pieper Arms Company," so I expect your shotgun is either (1) a cheapie export meant for the US market like SO many million other Belgian shotguns of the period, or (2) an even cheaper knock-off on the Pieper name by some small-time Belgian gunsmith house making cheapie export shotguns for the US market.<P>Barrel is probably also marked "Stub Twist" or "Laminated Steel" or something along those lines. <P>You have an interesting decorator piece worth up to $200-$250 depending on "looks." It is NOT a shooter - do not attempt to fire with even mild loads.<P><P>------------------<..
PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES.........NO OFFERS TO BUY OR SELL OR TRADE ON THE FORUMS....THIS WILL BE THE ONLY WARNING YOU'LL RECIEVE....ALL POSTING WITH OFFERS TO BUY, SELL OR TRADE WILL BE DELETED WHEN FOUND.......

Edited by - captkirk3@dslextreme.com on 08/03/2005 7:19:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
36615 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  6:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And your point was what sillyfilly?

A guess as to the diana: Diana was goddess of the hunt. It may be a designation for a hunting grade shotgun.
Go to Top of Page

lgreil
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  09:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. I saw that one. So, it would be the same price? Guess someone offered $1000 for the one we have...guess we should sell then. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15428 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  12:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lgreil

Yes. I saw that one. So, it would be the same price? Guess someone offered $1000 for the one we have...guess we should sell then. Thanks.

"A Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted", Grab the $1000 before he changes his mind, and get the heck out of there as quick as you can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page