GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Winchester Model 75 Target Scope
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skylaura
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  10:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Folks, I am new here to the forums and have a question I hope to get answered. I have a Winchester Model 75 Target rifle and I want to scope it. However the scope mounts are REALLY FAR apart. Looking in GunBroker I saw a 2 rifles of the same model from the late 30's to mid 40's that had a very long scope attached. I have been told that the scopes were Winchester 8x but I have not heard of such a scope and have not seen one not already attached to a rifle.
Are there any suggestions for a search or location to get a scope for this rifle with out drilling and tapping for a modern scope? I really hate to damage the value of the weapon by making new drill holes and want to keep the look of the vintage Winchester. So to put it simply, can anyone tell me where to find a vintage scope to fit or what models/powers of scopes I need to start searching for? Thank you to all who answer and help me out here.

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

3534 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  11:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At one time Winchester made their own scopes, later turning the line over to Lyman as the Winchester A5 became the Lyman 5A. Later scopes seen on older target rifles include Lyman Targetspot, a variety of Unertls, and the Feckers. All are long gone and available only on the used market. Friend of mine found a Unertl Small Game 6X that looks good on his 69A.

The Leatherwood Malcolm short tube 6X imported from Communist China would be a reasonable approximation of the old A5. See on a Winchester 52 at:
http://www.hi-luxoptics.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=52

Go to Top of Page

dfletcher
Advanced Member

USA
6574 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  12:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skylaura

Hello Folks, I am new here to the forums and have a question I hope to get answered. I have a Winchester Model 75 Target rifle and I want to scope it. However the scope mounts are REALLY FAR apart. Looking in GunBroker I saw a 2 rifles of the same model from the late 30's to mid 40's that had a very long scope attached. I have been told that the scopes were Winchester 8x but I have not heard of such a scope and have not seen one not already attached to a rifle.
Are there any suggestions for a search or location to get a scope for this rifle with out drilling and tapping for a modern scope? I really hate to damage the value of the weapon by making new drill holes and want to keep the look of the vintage Winchester. So to put it simply, can anyone tell me where to find a vintage scope to fit or what models/powers of scopes I need to start searching for? Thank you to all who answer and help me out here.

I have a 75 Target also (made in 1941) & was interested in scoping it, pretty much gave up & went with Redfield Olympic rear & globe front sights. Here's what I learned (and can remember) on the way.

The 2 piece weaver bases that supposedly fit the rear (closest to receiver) and front set of holes do not. I believe the rear is fine, the front doesn't match up.

You can mount a scope using only the two rear holes and a one piece base for either the T/C Encore or the Ruger 10/22 - not sure which, it's been a while. The screw holes line up and the tail end of the base will cantilever rearward. You'll have to do some fitting of the base to allow for the slightly higher receiver.

Other choice is to get a Malcolm scope from Leatherwood - it's about 2 feet long - and mounts. Check out Midway, I believe they have them.

You may also be able to use an old Mossberg scope, they're very long. But you'll have to use both the front & rear set of holes on the 75. Any good gunsmith should be able to drill two holes through a weaver base to make the front most mount fit the existing holes in the barrel.

Hope that helps.

dsf
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
34137 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  12:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, and welcome to GB.

If you want to keep the vintage look and scope the model 75 then you need to get the Winchester 8x Scope. If you can't find them on GB, then you can surely find one on fleabay. They come up for auction there frequently, and I do mean frequently. Just log on and type in Winchester Scope. Search here at GB and at fleabay everyday. Most always the description will be correct. They generally sell for about $325.00 on average with the mounts included, so be prepared to "snipe" when one comes up for auction. In the meantime surf the Internet and look for Winchester 8X Scope and such. Good Luck.

What's next

Edited by - kimi on 02/17/2009 12:42:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

validator
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  9:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That 75 would look way cool with a Unertl on it. The standard Unertl mounts should fit on W75 bases. The scopes are common on EBay and GunBroker but very pricey, maybe up to or even over what your entire rifle is worth.
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
34137 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  9:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by validator

That 75 would look way cool with a Unertl on it. The standard Unertl mounts should fit on W75 bases. The scopes are common on EBay and GunBroker but very pricey, maybe up to or even over what your entire rifle is worth.

I do not think the Unertl mounts will fit the Model 75 scope blocks, but you might be correct. I do agree that a unertl would look good on it and most any other traget rifle that one could imagine, to include, sporting rifles as well.

What's next

Go to Top of Page

brier-49
Advanced Member

USA
5228 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  06:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Winchester 8X scope with blocks that came on a Model 52. The blocks are for that scope only, not a standard size block. Mods this is not a for sale post just info. The 8X was made for the model 75 from 1939-1945. Price range depending on condition $200-$400. These are 3/4" tube 18" long.

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!
Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Edited by - brier-49 on 02/18/2009 06:14:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dokey

USA
839 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  09:04:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BKL made a canterlevered mount that fastened to the rear unertl block on the barrel. I mounted a Tasco 6x-24x on my 75 . Ken Viani also makes a mount that uses the rear barrel and peep sight tappings to take Weaver style rings
Go to Top of Page

Skylaura
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  4:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you-
I thank all who have answered this question for me. I have found one Winchester 8x scope for sale on internet but it is priced a little out of my budget right now ($325) but I will continue to look. One advantage I do seem to have is that I do have the original scope mounting blocks on my Winchester Model 75 and it is they actually that caused me to go WTH when I saw how far apart they were.
Again thank you all with the help yoou have given me and I will check back regularly to see if there is anymore information added.
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
34137 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  5:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's what you are looking for Skylaura.
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118431672
This was back before Christmas when there was one sold on GB and it went for a screaming deal at $200.00. If you can get one for $325.00 that is in better condition than this one with the mounts included then that would be a good deal.

What's next

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page