GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Who makes the scopes for Weatherby?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

One Bullet Dan
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  8:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Weatherby Mark V that I got in a package deal. The scope somehow reminds me of Leupold. Anyone know who made the scopes for Weatherby? Thanks!

Colt Super
Advanced Member

USA
28650 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  8:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Low bidder that met the spec.

Not a chance that it is Leupold.

OryGun manufacturers don't build cheap stuff.

It's the law.

Doug

3%

God Bless America and...
Remember Pearl Harbor
Remember the Alamo
NEVER Forget WACO
NEVER Forget RUBY RIDGE
NEVER, EVER Forget 911
Lock and load
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37345 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  11:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weatherby no longer has scopes made with their name. The scopes were Pacific Rim, but it is unlikely Weatherby would tell you who built them.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

One Bullet Dan
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  5:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

Weatherby no longer has scopes made with their name. The scopes were Pacific Rim, but it is unlikely Weatherby would tell you who built them.

This one does carry the Weatherby name. It is a 3X9X44, and has "Supreme" on the eyepiece. It`s mounted to the rifle with Buehler mounts. Can`t find "Made in Japan" on it anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12674 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  5:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't matter what it says.

I agree with He Dog, except I think Weatherby doesn't even KNOW who made the scopes for them.

With the exception of a handful of companies that make everything in house (Leupold is one), most scopes are sold by an importer who buys them from a Pacific Rim assembler who buys lenses & parts from various 3rd world companies, some of who subcontract to other 3rd world companies.

Even scope with the same markings may be completely different. (Witness those from Springfield Armory Inc.)

Neal
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37345 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  6:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earlier there were some scopes made for Weatherby in Germany. Those also have the Weatherby name and not the name of the German maker. Many companies have or have had scopes built for them with their name under contract, but not built by them. One line of Burris scopes is built in the Philippines to Burris specs, but Burris does not own the factory.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

22hipower

USA
578 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  6:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Early Weatherby marked scopes were made in Germany and the ones I've had were marked Imperial. Some in fixed powers and some variables. German but IMO not up to the standards expected of European manufacturers such as Zeiss, Kahles or Swarovski. The Supreme scopes were made in Asia-Pac, Japan I think. These IMO were roughly equivalent to the older Leupold Vari-X IIs. Of the two, the Supremes seemed better in quality than the Imperials. There may have been others as well; e.g. the Weatherby scope used on their 22 auto. For awhile I wanted the Weatherby scopes for my older Weatherby Mark Vs and searched them out but later decided the quality really wasn't there and switched to other manufacturers.
Meant to add that I never did find out who the manufacturer was of the "Weatherby" scopes even though I had a couple NIB Supremes. Nowhere in the paperwork was the actual manufacturer named although "made in Japan" was there.

Edited by - 22hipower on 03/22/2009 6:47:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37345 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  6:52:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
With the exception of a handful of companies that make everything in house (Leupold is one)

Actually Neal Leupold outscources their glass. The only manufacturer of scopes in the world that does everything in house is Schmidt and Bender.

Leupold does assemble their scopes in the U.S.

Go to Top of Page

580Hemidude
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2009 :  12:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The early Mauser, win, and misc actions had scopes made in USA, The later Sauer manufacturered (made in Germany) rifles had the scopes made in Germany by either Zeiss or Leica under contact terms to Weatherby. Then they contracted with Japan

The early scopes had glass was mounted normaly for the time but the tube seals leak and they degrade rapidly now.

Zeiss is still Great......for scopes if you have the money for them.

My father and I collected Weatherbys from the late 50's until 99.
The neatest of his guns were the Shultz and Larsen actions, the Mauser actions, the early Saur actions, after that they went down fast.....We switched to Champlin and Brevex actioned guns.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page