GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Mitchell's Mausers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

11503 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  2:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone got one? are they worth the $399?

I got my recent issue of a magazine published by an organization to which I belong but no longer support, and MM have an ad, with "$400 worth of free stuff" with purchase, and a bayo and scbbard for an additional $39 on top of the $399 rifle. The Mauser Stimulus Package, they call it.

I have an old mismatched K98k what is in humble, but shootable condition. A minty one would be nice.

opinions? advice?

Thanks
Loaf

Wulfmann
Advanced Member

USA
4462 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  2:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mitchell's Mauser are fraudulent reproductions and the fact they are allowed to run ads in the NRA magazine is ludicrous!

They take mismatched rifles weld over the Serial Numbers, grind them down and stamp the receiver number of them.
Then they call them "matched" (Not "matching" as that would be fraud)
If you know anything about German guns they have proofs on most every part not just numbers and notice Mitchels only has nice fresh numbers (If you know to look you might also notice the fonts are inaccurate as well)

They are, however, safe to shoot but are misrepresented when described as anything but refurbished mismatched Russian captured Parts guns. Heck, the bolt is in the white on their K98Ks!!!! There was no such thing as an unblued K98k bolt in the Wehrmacht.

Google K98k, Mausers and go to the various Mauser boards and ask about Mitchell and see how little difference there is in the description I gave you.

I have spent the last 3 years in buying/selling and trading K98ks and you buying a Mitchells' Mauser and thinking you got something is like getting a counterfeit 100 bill and thinking you have money.

When you go to sites like G/K43 you can post a link to a GB K98k auction and ask for opinions on correctness and get good advice. You will end up with what you expect.

Funny, I am not the only one posting such accurate descriptions of "humped", "Boinked" Mitchell's K98ks and I have never heard of Mitchell's objecting to any such posting.

Wulfmann

ďA government that does not trust itís law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.Ē James Madison

Go to Top of Page

eboydell
Advanced Member

USA
8934 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  2:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got one about two years ago. I got the "K98k". DON"T GET ANY OTHER MODEL!!! Mine was well worth it! Last I saw they were out of K98k's!

"The brave have always defined what the rest of us wish to be. But bravery is misunderstood. It is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it."
EARL M. J. BOYDELL, Jr., J.D., (MOS 8541)
To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine: However, Neither is Marine Corps Policy.
Go to Top of Page

Rocklobster
Advanced Member

8864 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  2:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have purchased one, but when I talked to the idiot on the telephone he told me that they would ship only to a 01FFL holder, no 03FFL (C&R). No sale.

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11503 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  3:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rocklobster

I would have purchased one, but when I talked to the idiot on the telephone he told me that they would ship only to a 01FFL holder, no 03FFL (C&R). No sale.

That makes no sense at all. Why wouldn't they do C&R?

Well, thanks for the replies guys.

Wulfmann, after your post, I think I'll poop-can that idea!
Go to Top of Page

jonk
Advanced Member

9708 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  3:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They refinish, misrepresent, and overcharge.

You want a gun that looks nice above all else, go for it. You want a true un-screwed with piece of history, pass.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
Go to Top of Page

givette
Advanced Member

11186 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  4:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're not a collector, $400 is somewhat steep, but you'll get a cherry looking and headspaced-checked rifle. All the posts above are refering to the sacrilege of mismatching parts, etc. It's a safe gun, and darn good lookin'.

Added to that, $400 in extras is a valid incentive. I'd go for it. The prior post on getting the K98k is also noteworthy.

Again, the posts above have merit. Merit to a collector. If you want to hold in your hands/shoot a K98, then Mitchell's Mausers will get you what you want. Best, Joe

Go to Top of Page

jon o

USA
2034 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  5:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If a firearm has been reworked, it is no longer C&R eligible!!
Go to Top of Page

Wulfmann
Advanced Member

USA
4462 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  6:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fact is you can get restored Russian capture K98k Mausers that are not deceptively marketed as something they are in fact not.

I agree, Mitchell Mauser are safe to shoot and nice looking but are incorrect in their restoration and dishonestly so. They are not even correct when it would not be that hard to make them so, yet they don't but advertise that they are

I have in a sense been doing as a hobby what Mitchell's does except I do not try and sell them; people ask to buy them.
I take Russian capture mismatch K98ks, strip off the Russian shellac and bluing remove the stock and any parts that are incorrect and by buying a few of them switch the parts around so they are correctly representative of that gun, that year, the maker, in as much as i can.
However, I explain exactly what it is and how it got here without deceiving anyone by suggesting it is "matched"
I do not renumber but I have removed numbers that others have added trying to "match" a part.
As an example Walnut stocks were used through 1937 and some in 38 as a rule then laminated flat butt plate to 1940 and 1941-45 cupped butt plate.
The upper band was an "H" band through 1942 and in 1943 they used milled but not cut out (called closed milled) and finally stamped bands.
By rearranging the parts I can get a 1940 gun to look like a 1940 (Although without matched or matched proofs).

Some times I can accumulate enough of the same proof in various parts to have the correct proofs for an entire K98k but that is not easy in itself.
Only once have I ever found a part that was the same number as a gun I had but it was #22 and as luck would have it the only all matching gun that required no number was, you guessed it #22.
Murphy has me on speed dial!!

I (as of yet) have not found a K98k bolt that did not head space in any other K98k but some bolts are smoother than others.
Lately I have heard forgers are making the Waffenamts (Proof) stamps and I expect this to further degrade the integrity of this hobby making "real" collector pieces harder to identify even by experts (which I am certainly not).
Note, I have done this as a hobby and not for profit and mention this now because I have sold off most of my K98ks and have the ones I intend on keeping.
For those that think because a Mitchell's is safe and all purdy like when you have seen shooter grade semi matched guns some in the price range of a Mitchell's and compare them you will see the difference like a kit car VW Porsche lookalike and the real thing.

Those of us that do the K98k thing are always glad to advise on what is available at GB auction on the merits of the rifle and what to look for and avoid.
You do not have to buy a fraud when you can buy an honest K98k.

Mine are all shooters, no sit in the safe gun for me.
In fact, I was at the range today shooting 3 of my K98ks!!

Wulfmann

ďA government that does not trust itís law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.Ē James Madison

Go to Top of Page

War Pig Actual

1852 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  6:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're probably more interested in Mitchell's trousers.......

GET SUM!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11503 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  6:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, WPA, the big people are talking now.

Please go away or I'll have to call your block captain.
Go to Top of Page

Spartacus
Advanced Member

12066 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  7:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On another forum I visit, you just have to mention mitchell's and you will get flamed from every which way!!
my thought is, If you would spend 400 bucks on a rifle you like, and you happen to like those mausers, then get one.
they have absolutely no historical value, but they sure sre pretty!

What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

forgive your enemies, but NEVER forget their names.....JFK

The average response time for a 911 call is 4 minutes.
the average response time for a .357 magnum is 1400 FPS.
Go to Top of Page

team roper ozzy

396 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  7:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would take an rc over a mitchell any day of the week.. for that matter if your looking for a basic shooter..look at the yugo's at samco global arms..i got the mid grade "special select" $159.00 and i love it..if you looking for collector by pass mitchell and the rc's and find yourself a ww2 vet or his family that will part with a bring back.....rare to find but it happens from time to time
Go to Top of Page

guntech59
Advanced Member

Seychelles
16303 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  9:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are looking for a decent rifle that is original, watch the auctions of "sreisel". I tried to post a link of my smart search but, apparently it is smarter than I am.

Nice guy and I doubt he has a dishonest bone in his body.

If it matters, he's USMC (Ret.)!

I have bought several milsurps from him for good prices.

US Army (Ret.)
1977-1998
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26702 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  10:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mauser butchers..

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page