GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Olympic Arms OA93
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raleigh
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  5:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking at an Oly arms Model OA93. Does anyone know what this is exactly. I looked at the Olyarms websit but nothing.

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19392 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  10:04:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The OA93 was discontinued with the 1994 Crime Bill which among other things banned pistols with magazines located other than in the grip and weighing more than 50 ounces- that and a few other items doomed the 93. I'm not sure how many of these were made, but I doubt it was more than five or six hundred.

There were a few made in 7.62X39mm and they caused all kinds of trouble since there were some anti-gun forces who wanted that cartridge declared a pistol round or at least interchangeable because of the OA93. This caused a big stink with the steel cored ammo which was then being imported, as pistol ammo could not have a steel core without being considered armor piercing. Expect to pony up around $2000+ for the right to own a OA93.

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

JudgeColt

2386 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  10:20:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The OA 93 is an "assault pistol" as defined by the 1994 law. It is based on the Colt AR-15/M16 design. It was introduced in the early 1990s when all the discussion about banning "assault rifles" was going on. It was first offered in 5.56/.223 chambering. Production did not actually start until 1994 as I recall, thus few were made before the ban.

Shortly after introduction, or maybe even at introduction, Olympic introduced the OA 93 in 7.62x39. As I recall the controversy, the OA 93 is the handgun responsible for the ban on the import of steel-core 7.62x39 ammunition. At the time of the controversy, 7.62x39 ammunition with steel cores could be imported as long as it was for rifle use only. Since there were no handguns chambered in 7.62x39, very cheap 7.62x39 steel-core ammunition was available in huge quantities, which went well with pleantiful and very inexpensive SKS rifles. Once the OA 93 was offered in 7.62x39, further importation of inexpensive steel-core 7.62x39 was stopped.

I relate all this with the qualification that I am not sure I am recalling it correctly, and have not taken the time to verify what I have posted. If I am incorrect in my recollection, please correct me.

Go to Top of Page

raleigh
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  10:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am looking at an Oly arms Model OA93. Does anyone know what this is exactly. I looked at the Olyarms websit but nothing.

What I am looking at is a rifle with Mod #OA93 stamped on the lower. Evidently this started as a pistol and was converted to a rifle???????

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19392 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2002 :  10:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well gee, it was nice of you to mention NOW that you have the carbine version! These are much more common and were made from 1995 up until around 1998 or 1999. They sell for about half the price of the pistol. I thought you were on to something intesting as the OA93 pistols are pretty rare beasts. I think these carbines are still available for LE sales or export but I doubt that the web site would have any details...contact to company directly.

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

JudgeColt

2386 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  02:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MC, obviously great minds run in the same channels, both in our first answers, and in our second answers.

raleigh, why not mention that you inquiring about the RIFLE at the outset? BOth MC and I wasted our time telling you about the somewhat rare OA 93 pistol.

Go to Top of Page

redcedars

1095 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  03:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, Judge:

I jumped to the same conclusion as both of you did, but I suspect that Raleigh didn't even know about the pistol. If so, he would assume we would all know he meant the rifle.

redcedars

"The true art of war lies in so sapping your opponent's will to fight that he surrenders without battle." Sun Tzu
Go to Top of Page

raleigh
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  1:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
redcedars:

Thanks for not making me feel like a complete idiot. I had no idea about the pistol. I must apologize to JudgeColt and Mark for wasting their valuable time.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page