GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Hard to find .22lr ammunition...........
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

winch_warrior

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  11:28:19 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe it......shortage of .22lr in my area of Western Colorado or is everyone having the same shortage?

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15437 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  11:56:53 PM  Show Profile
I've had the same problem, use to get all my rimfire ammo at Wally World. Last time I was able to get any was in Feb., all they had was Mini-Mag in limited quantities.

Try Graf and Son, I was able to order some descent Fiocchi stuff from them recently. It sure ain't cheep though, by the time you pay for S & H., $30+ a brick.

On other forums there have been reports of hoarders and dealers buying stuff off of Wally World by the case. Seems they have a inside track with some of the employees, who tip them off when the shipments are due. I 'm sure if this is true, that money is changing hands for this inside information.

Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

20218 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  08:25:46 AM  Show Profile
ran across a tidbit that a 22lr mfg in Arkansas that normally made one million rounds a day was up to 6 million a day & falling behind....had no clue 22lr would be hard to find & cost this much....at a gun shop friday where a brick was priced at $34...not for me...wild...
Go to Top of Page

heavyiron

USA
1403 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  09:15:12 AM  Show Profile
Ditto from South Carolina.

The Wal-Mart stores here have had long periods where there were no .22LR on the shelves at all.

I was lucky about a month ago and was able to buy 5 100 round boxes of Winchester ammo. These were the last 5 boxes in the store.

I know a guy having difficulty buying 357 Magnum once-used brass. I never thought I would see the day.

Heavyiron

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
Go to Top of Page

stevecrea

USA
1497 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  9:06:14 PM  Show Profile
I have heard many anecdotes about people hoarding ammo. Also, I suspect some shooters, who may previously have been shooting everything from HMR, Mach2, .204, .223, and others, may be downshifting to the 22 LR due to economic and financial factors.

Two years ago, Walmart had 500 and 525 round bulk packs of Federal for about $9. Now, Cabela's is selling this same ammo for about $18 or $19. Further, the cost of the components such as petrochemicals, copper, lead, and other commodities, has fallen by at least 50 to 70 percent in the last two years.

Steve Crea
Go to Top of Page

team roper ozzy

396 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  9:42:29 PM  Show Profile
most of the hording i have run across has been people buying for resale at higher prices...most if any suppliers that have any left to order put limits to help spread the supply.....found limited supply of 22 lr at wallyworld and been getting lucky on hitting smaller out of the way mom and pops stops for larger caliber pistol rds.....double the norm price but they have had a few boxes.
Go to Top of Page

vepr762

236 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  10:22:55 PM  Show Profile
Plinking ammo is getting hard to find, but there is full spectrum of low to high end match grade rimfire ammo available, from outfits like Champion Shooters.
Go to Top of Page

je2140

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  9:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Got a carton of Federal 22's at a Wally world in Kansas City a month ago for around $14

JR
The truth is that all good modern rifles are efficient weapons; it is the man behind the gun that makes the difference

Theodore Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

lcdrdanr

386 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  10:05:50 PM  Show Profile
What I find is funny is that for all the Wally World knocking that goes on, when I find ammo in Walmart it is normally not that much more than what I paid 6 or 8 months ago.
Yesterday, I found some Federal value packs, 550 rounds, at $13.97 and some Remington, 500 rounds, at $16.97. Their supplies are sporadic but their prices haven't seemed to change much.
Two lone boxes of Federal .223, 100 rounds, marked $39.95 got picked up at the same time although I am not short on .223, just figured the price was right and I don't have a lot of reloadable .223 brass, most of it is steel case Wolf. That's not much over what I paid for Federal Brass case ammo back in 1998.
So, I guess I'm a hoarder too.

Dan R
Go to Top of Page

quickmajik
Advanced Member

USA
18444 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  10:54:50 PM  Show Profile
people pay one of the dudes in the local walmart sporting goods section for tips on when ammo shipments are comming and hoard it.. not kidding I know the guys.
Go to Top of Page

JIM STARK

1576 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  06:38:56 AM  Show Profile
Hey folks... FYI

http://nssf.org/media/FactSheets/Ammunition.cfm

Best,
JIM.............
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page